Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Year's Eve Live Broadcast, To Be Repeated New Year's Day
dismuke
post Dec 24 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I am very pleased to announce the 4th Annual Radio Dismuke New Year's Eve Broadcast in which Radio Dismuke will help ring in the New Year in all four continental United States time zones by spinning a variety of 78 rpm recordings from the 1920s through the early 1940s in a special live broadcast.

Joining me in the Radio Dismuke studio in Fort Worth, Texas will be special guests Eddie The Collector, Matt From College Station, Jerry From Dallas and Christian Kohlhaas who will be bringing along lots of fun and interesting selections from their large collections of vintage 78 rpm records.

The New Year's Eve live broadcast will run from:

For North America listeners:

Wednesday December 31, 2008

10:00 PM - 3:00 AM Eastern
9:00 PM - 2:00 AM Central
8:00 PM - 1:00 AM Mountain
7:00 PM - 12:00 AM Pacific

For International listeners:

3:00 AM - 8:00 AM Thursday GMT

Already have plans for New Year's Eve? Not to worry - the entire program will be rebroadcast on New Year's day. It will be a great way to recuperate from the sort of music that one is often subjected to these days at New Year's parties!

The New Year's day rebroadcast will run from:

For North America listeners:

Thursday January 1, 2009

The recorded broadcast will be repeated back in a continuous loop throughout New Year's Day. The rebroadcast will start as soon after the live broadcast as it takes to process the
recording and upload it to the Radio Dismuke broadcast server. The continuous loop rebroadcast will run though at least midnight Friday morning Central Time in the USA (6:00 AM
Friday GMT). The replay of the broadcast that is still in progress at midnight will be allowed to complete before Radio Dismuke resumes normal programing for Friday.

Here is a website that will be helpful for listeners outside of North America who wish to convert the broadcast schedule to their local time: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

A link to a Technical Issues Blog will be available on the Radio Dismuke website at ww
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
heer_bommel
post Jan 2 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 268

Hi Dismuke,

I want to thank you and your guest for a wonderful Live Broadcast. I missed it on New Yearīs Eve so I listened to it on New Yearīs Day. Unfortunately the Live 365 stream went off the air the second the rerun started, but the LoudCity stream still functioned. And thanks for recommending the Souvenir VSP several times, itīs a great piece of equipment, and the seller is extremely helpful. I mentioned in another thread that my VSP stopped working (the push buttons for the eq.curves just popped back) and Kevin was very helpful and instructed me how to open it and solve the problem myself, so I didnīt have to send it back and could save the S&H. He also told me not to worry about the 1 yr warranty, the VSPīs were very reliable and should anything happen to it even after the warranty period he would repair it no matter.

One suggestion for the Live Broadcasts, I noticed there is a big difference in volume between the announcements/dialogue and the actual music. After each record I had to run to turn the volume knob down.

One last thing, you told a couple of months ago you would do a "behind the scenes" about the VSP and DC7. I know you are extremely busy, but is it still in the pipeline?

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jan 4 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (heer_bommel @ Jan 2 2009, 03:11 AM) *
One suggestion for the Live Broadcasts, I noticed there is a big difference in volume between the announcements/dialogue and the actual music. After each record I had to run to turn the volume knob down.

That is primarily the result of two factors: The first has to do with the fact that the volume of different records can vary significantly. Everybody picks the records they are going to play more or less at the last moment and there is simply not enough time to audition everything in advance. The other factor has to do with my equipment. I have volume meters on my mixer board, the software I use to record the stream and on the software that transmits the stream. But none of them are really large enough or precise enough for what is needed. Years ago when I had a gig for awhile on a college radio station, the equipment there had a much larger volume meter with a needle display and an area marked for optimum volume. I really need something like that - it is just that equipment specifically designed for a professional radio setting is expensive. And I really don't have a way to judge it just by listening. The speaker we listen to the music with has to be turned down every time someone talks otherwise there will be nasty feedback - and of course, so the volume setting does not remain constant from song to song. I would love to get one of those things that radio stations have where the studio speakers are automatically muted the instant one turns the mic on. But, again, it is a matter of how much money I am willing to spend. Since I only do a small number of special broadcasts per year and Kurt Nauck now has his own setup down in Houston to produce his special broadcasts it is hard to justify the expense.

On top of all of that is my own forgetfulness - I am pretty much multi tasking during the broadcasts in a major way so it is easy to become distracted and forget to monitor the volume as closely as I ought to. If I had a huge meter right in front of me, that would be a bit more difficult to forget. Perhaps someday.

One last thing, you told a couple of months ago you would do a "behind the scenes" about the VSP and DC7. I know you are extremely busy, but is it still in the pipeline?

Yes, that is definitely something I want to do. It is just a matter of finding the time to do it. What I plan to do is put up a VSP "fan site" explaining why I am so enthusiastic about it and providing a few demos. Until then, the best demo I can recommend for the VSP is either my special broadcasts or Rich Conaty's weekly WFUV broadcast where one can hear it in action. Obviously that is not going to be as effective as "before" and "after" examples - but it does give a pretty good idea if one compares it with the 78 rpms they play at home.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2019 - 02:12 AM