Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Eight Popular Victor Artists
Murfunit
post Apr 20 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

I must say that the Hit of the Week Extra was a suprise and treat with an electrical recording of the Eight Popular Victor Artists. Billy Murray, Henry Burry, Albert Campbell, and Frank Croxton were great recording artists from the acoustic era and are featured well with a medley of their recording hits in the electrical recording format.

It was great to hear Rudy Weidoft reprise on "Saxophobia," his hit recording that also first appeared following World War I.

A great sampler from a by gone era. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 20 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Glad you liked it ! I found that record a long time ago. It is also one of my favorite early electric records, especially the rendition of Casey Jones by Billy Murray !

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
Murfunit
post Apr 23 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 196

Matt, thank you. Casey Jones sung by Billy Murray in the electrical format is perfectly understandable and great to listen to. It is definitely an American folk song.

+Quote Post
80rpm
post May 29 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 453

Here is a bit of trivia concerning this record. The "Eight Popular Victor Artists" record was the earliest electric Victor to be issued. It was intended to be a demonstration record of the new electric process for the big shots at Victor. It turned out so well that Victor eventually issued it. It is not the first Victor electric which is Victor 19626 but is was recorded in late February 1925, Victor 19626 was recorded in March.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2019 - 08:45 AM