IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sweet So and So complete lyrics at last, Glenn Robison of Rapidly Rotating Records to the rescue
Gart
post Sep 6 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 254

Full lyrics for Sweet So and So

Thanks to my good friend Glenn Robison for his research in finding the complete lyrics to this intriguing song. Glenn has a wonderful program featuring songs from the 1920s and 1930. He just celebrated his seventh season!

Glenn’s program is Rapidly Rotating Records is broadcast Sunday Evenings at 6 (Pacific Time) on KISL-FM 88.7 Avalon (in southern California) and is rebroadcast Saturday Evenings at 6. It is also heard over-the-air in New Zealand on Wellsford Radio, 107.4 FM and Warkworth Radio at 106.7. Now you have a choice! The .mp3 version of the show is available in your choice of 128 bit (54MB) or 64 bit (27 MB). Simply click on the appropriate link below.

The show is available 24/7, on demand via Real Player by clicking on the following link: You can get on his e-mail list to receive weekly playlists at glenn@rapidlyrotatingrecords.com And you can also hear or download the program from this site.

Glenn played the song for me on last week’s program and later forwarded this note:
I believe I have found the answer to your query regarding "Sweet So And So" This is from a book called "The Complete Lyrics of Ira Gershwin". First of all, the official title of the song is "Sweet So And So" (not "You... or "My..."). It was published in February of 1928, although it had been registered for copyright in March of 1927 as an unpublished work. The 1928 lyrics were credited to Ira Gershwin and Douglas Furber. It was originally intended for "Darry" and "Katie" in the show "Katie Did", but was introduced by Jack Buchanan in "That's A Good Girl". It was published again in 1931 with lyrics credited to Ira Gerhswin alone. The 1931 version was introduced in the revue "Sweet and Low", but it used the "Katie Did" lyrics. Below are the "Katie Did" and "That's A Good Girl" versions of the lyrics.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Glenn
=================
(I have boldfaced the lines (if boldface works here) we were having trouble understanding and added a couple of notations that I hope help understand what the lyrics say—Gart)

Katie Did Version
Verse 1
Darry: I knew, my dear, from the moment we met,
Deep in my heart I'd install you.
Hoping the love song would soon be a duet,
I dreamed of pet names to call you.
I look in my thesaurus
And there I found a few;
I'll sing a little chorus
Of pet names for you:

Refrain 1
You darling, you ducky, you sweet so-and-so!
You sweet thing, you neat thing, you've set me a-glow!
My heaven, my rapture, my sweet this-and-that--
Without you my life would be flat.
Oh, I've a million more terms of endearment,
If you'll agree that for each other we're meant.
My Venus, my goddess, let me be your beau,
And you'll be my sweet s0-and-so.

Verse 2
Katie: All those impassioned avowals you have made,
Those tender pet names you've chosen,
Have broken down my resistance, I'm afraid;
You'd melt a heart that was frozen.
Oh, how could I be chilly?
You've thrilled me through and through;
Though pet names may be silly,
I've lots reserved for you:

Refrain 2
My brave man, my cave man, my seet so-and-so!
My mopsy, my popsy, my great Romeo!
My Pierrot, my hero, my seet this-and-that--
You're making my heart pit-a-pat.
I never knew you had such romance in you;
You've got a sporting chance if you continue;
Oh laddie! Oh daddy! In time I may grow
To love you, you sweet so-and-so.

That's A Good Girl (Published version)

Verse 1
You fall in love with the modern Galahad,
Deep in his heart he'll install you;
But I am only a simple sort of lad,
I had no pet names to call you.
But now I've bought a thesaurus,
And there I found a few;
I'll sing a little chorus
Of pet names meant for you:

Refrain 1

You darling, you ducky, you sweet so-and-so!
You seet thing, you neat thing, you set me aglow!
My fond one, my blonde one, my sweet this-and-that--
Without you my life would be flat.
I've lots of other names for your attention.
And one or two I dare not even mention.
My Venus, my goddess, let me be your beau,
And you'll be my sweet so-and-so.

Verse 2

Henry the Eighth was the tough one of his time;
He stopped of nothing but murder,
Bluebeard would chortle some simple nurs'ry rhyme,
And hit his wife with a girder.
So when we start hobnobbing,
You'll soon learn what I mean;
A caveman's heart is throbbing
Beneath this Thermogene.

Refrain 2

My baby, my maybe, my sweet so-and-so!
My jazz queen, my has-been, you set me aglow!
Oh, Mammy! Oh, damme! Take care what you're at--
You're making my heart pit-a-pat.
We'll join the noble army of smallholders
And build a love nest by the Green that Golders.
Tallulah! Hallelujah! In time I may grow;
Let me be your sweet so-and-so.

Notes from me: Golders Green is a Tube stop on the Northern Line of the London Underground, one station past Hampstead and two north of Belsize Park (where we once stayed in a flat). According to Wikipedia a smallholding is a farm of small size, often too small to be efficient. The utility of smallholdings varies from place to place.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bob
post Sep 7 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Gart @ Sep 6 2007, 02:05 PM) *
Tallulah! Hallelujah! In time I may grow;
Let me be your sweet so-and-so.

Thanks Gart

Well I'm glad this has been cleared up. Now I can go to sleep. laugh.gif That part of the lyrics has been driving Ian and me nuts. mumble-jumble

biggrin.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
honeybadger
post Sep 11 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 438

Bwahaha!! YESSSS! I must have listened to that bit fifty times: that's what I thought he said, and I STILL had no idea what on earth they were talking about! My deconstructed interpretation was that "smallholders" must be depression stock market slang for formerly rich people who had their portfolios evaporate, and "Green that Golders" was a crappy neighborhood, probably in Brooklyn.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by honeybadger: Sep 11 2007, 04:43 AM

+Quote Post
Terry
post Sep 11 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

The lyrics are now making sense.

"Tallulah! Halleluja! " refers to Tallulah Bankhead who was in London for 8 years from 1923 until 1931. Apparently the phrase was called out by her enthusiastic fans when she appeared on stage:

"Tallulah's most fervent fans were young working class women. To them, Tallulah was the embodiment of their fantasies - a fashionable, beautiful girl living a glamorous life. The fans became somewhat of a cult, copying and emulating Tallulah's dress, hair and personality. They waited outside the theater forty-eight hours in advance of a new Tallulah opening. They attended her plays several times a week and never missed a premiere or a closing. They would become ecstatic when Tallulah appeared on stage, cheering wilding and chanting "Tallulah, Tallulah" or "Tallulah Hallelujah". The press wrote about them frequently and even gave them a name - "gallery girls"."

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/tbintro.htm

+Quote Post
Gart
post Sep 12 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

There's so much in that song that I can't identify. For example (and it's not in our version) but what's

A caveman's heart is throbbing
Beneath this Thermogene.

Tried to Google that and even used Merriman Webster, but couldn't decypher. What lyrics!!!

Much much easier but I can't find is that great Ben Selvin/Eva Taylor masterpiece, When I'm Housekeeping for You. Ben apprently recorded under Kloster Dance Orchestra (again using Glenn Robison as my source). Does anyone have those lyrics?

And kudos as always to our genial host Dismuke for the great Rudy Vallee stuff on Hit of the Week. Wow! Love it!

Keep up the good work.

Best, Gart

+Quote Post
Terry
post Sep 12 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

smile.gif Thermogene smile.gif

These lyrics are very much English based. Thermogene was a red cotton wool material impregnated with stuff to make it feel hot to the touch, things like "Goanna Heat Cream", oil of winter green, eucalyptus oil, etc.

It was a standard remedy for winter coughs and colds, and the chest was covered with a big piece of it, and it was held in place by ones woolly vest smile.gif

I remember it well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gart
post Sep 12 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Terry,

Way to go!! Whew! Nice to have that taken care of. And, I forgot to thank you for the Bankhead elaboration.

You must be a Brit! There was a song, love to get a CD version, that was a favorite of mine on Dr. Demento by Ivar Biggins (spelling?) about "Terry Keeps His Clips On." Great beat, great lyrics. Ever hear it? (I won't ask for lyrics to this one--I'm taxing everyone patience).

Best, Gart (in Oakland, CA)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2021 - 04:08 AM