Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My nightly fix.
derekpara
post Apr 20 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 441

I get my nightly fix of Dance Band music through headphones so as to avoid disturbing other famly members, and sessions usually last about half an hour. Very enoyable they are, too. Trouble is, when I turn out the light and lay my head on the pillow one of the numbers keeps going through my head and I am unable to enjoy a restful sleep,

Take last night for instance. Sophie Tucker persisted in warning me that Some of These Days I was going to miss her. I do, Sophie, I really do. Do you want it in writing ? No hard feelings; just let me get some sleep, please !

And then last Friday I told Bing that although I sympathised with his predicamanet I didn't have a dime to spare and would a 1 coin do instead ? A good deal for a night's rest.

Even Annette Hanshaw's well meaning advice to Button up my Overcoat lost some of its appeal after a couple of hours tossing and turning, and despite her assurance that ' That's All' - it really wasn't.

Now I do like to travel when I get the chance and last Tuesday night I found myself ' Alabamy Bound' with Fletcher Henderson for eight hours. Now, eight hours from the suburbs of London to Alabama is pretty good going, I know, but I didn't have the pleasure of getting there.

And when Ben Selvin barated me to Smile, Darn Ya, Smile, all night it got too much. So i need a strategy to still enjoy my ' nightly fix' and still get some sleep. Should I dispense with the headphones and hope that the music will create converts in the household ? Or should I taper the session off with more restful numbers and perhaps conclude with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata or Handels Water Music ?

Behind this topic is a serious plea from an increasingly weary and zombie-like member. Am I alone in this ?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Apr 20 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

Derek,

It's been said that music can calm the savage beast. And we as humans seem to also find solice and comfort in relaxing music. Far from being a therapist or one to offer any personal advice on how to wind down at days-end, let me just convey what I've found that works for me.

I do my most enjoyable listening to music at night and in the comfort of my personal space upstairs via the computer. Depending on how I feel and how the day has played out, this listening time can be just a few minutes or several hours. I've found that the style and type music is also a factor that enters into the equation here.

But, the one constant that I try to follow is that when I sense that I'v had enough music and it may be time for bed, I leave the music behind and find a book or something to read. This invaribly will slow my system down further and when I'm finally good and sleepy, I wander off the bed.

By following this method, I've let the music-of-the-day fad away from the old grey matter and only thoughts of sleep remain.

Happy Dreams.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Apr 20 2008, 08:33 PM

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 21 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

HaHa!

Darn that melody-based music!!

Derek, your post made me laugh out loud :-) This same problem happened to me just last night. For some reason, as I was getting ready for bed, the song "How Do I Know It's Sunday" popped into my brain and dared me to start singing and whistling it for the next hour. The lights were out and I was fully committed to bedtime but it was useless to even try sleeping. The problem is - I also had the visuals of the wonderful YouTube clip running through my thoughts. So, naturally, the only thing to do was to get up and watch it a dozen times in the middle of the night!

How Do I Know It's Sunday? (uploaded by GoodOldDays)

I suppose the obvious solution for your problem is to shift your listening time to the morning ...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
derekpara
post Apr 22 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 441

Thank you both for those suggestions. I am going to try and shift my session to an earlier slot which will give me more time for an extra dram of Highland whisky or Jack Daniels. I've also unearthed a really exciting book on the sex life of the English stag beetle !

I'll let you know how I get on in a few days time, but if it doesn't work I think I'll have to consult good ol' Doctor Jazz.

Thanks, mates.

Derek

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 23 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 20 2008, 07:47 PM) *
How Do I Know It's Sunday? (uploaded by GoodOldDays)
I suppose the obvious solution for your problem is to shift your listening time to the morning ...?

Doggone IAN< Now you've got me singing that song, and it is LATE !

This post has been edited by matto: Apr 23 2008, 04:37 AM

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Apr 23 2008, 05:32 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

The worst I've dealt with is when a particular section of a recording goes through my head (at any time) and I just can't place it. It might be a record I haven't played for twenty years--but when that continuous tape-loop starts playing, forget it. ("Each morning I get up with the sun/To find at night no work has been done.")

For some months I was plagued by the phrase "I love ya, love ya, love ya/All of the time." Then, I just happened to hear "The Antique Phonograph Hour" on WFMU (a show which usually makes me uncomfortable because I realize rare 78s are being played with steel needles) and MAC played Blanche Klaise's 1924 Cameo recording of "Daddy, Change Your Mind." The phrase fell satisfyingly into place like the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and I was able to exorcise that tune. The only odd thing was, in my mind I heard the phrase being sung by a male vocalist!

But yes, I can't listen to music right before bed. (At night, a nice difficult crossword puzzle focuses my mind off everything else and puts me in the mood to sleep.) And I usually can't listen to any music for more than an hour or two at a time, unless it's Sunday night and Rich Conaty's Big Broadcast is on. Music is, after all, special. A surrounding sea of quiet time makes a little good music sound even better. (Half an hour a night is really an ideal serving.)

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 23 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(matto @ Apr 22 2008, 10:37 PM) *
Doggone IAN< Now you've got me singing that song, and it is LATE !

Hehe!

Sorry Matt, I can't really help you there. When I finally "Knew It Was Sunday", it was already Tuesday afternoon!

Good luck with that. (I dare not click on that link again :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 24 2008, 04:05 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Yep......... and Rochelle Hudson was such a babe too !!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2021 - 04:25 AM