Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Al Bowlly
Roseman
post May 27 2013, 03:53 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Just ran across this new find of an Al Bowlly piece (All Over Italy) .

It appears to be of some doubt if it's really him. It's posted with a question mark in the
MemoryLane Discography of Al.
Plus it was not included in the mammoth mp3 presentation of some 3 years ago by Randy Skretvedt.

I don't know what gauge was used to question the genuineness, but after listening with these old
untrained ears, I must admit that I'm not convinced that it's not Al. He's singing and talking with
an Italian accent and this tends to distract from what he would normally sound like, but when he
sings the la la's (around the 1.22 mark) it sounds a whole lot like Al.

The YT channel indicates it's Al and so does as this Amazon link for the song.

So what do you think? Is it Al or not?

Don...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laughland
post May 27 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

It would be great to uncover more Al Bowlly recordings but I agree that it is not Al in there.

I vaguely remember there being some other vocalist with Ray Noble who people have incorrectly claimed was Al.

Lemme check...

OK - I think this might be a vocalist named Ace Roland who was also with Ray Noble around the same time. Anyone know for certain?

This post has been edited by laughland: May 27 2013, 04:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post May 27 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Here's a bit more - from a podcast of the British Dance Band Show site - you can hear Ace Roland singing. He resembles Al Bowlly and in the words of John Wright as he introduces the recording, "one singer Ray was featuring might have easily been confused with Al Bowlly by early collectors... Ace Roland. "

Listen to this podcast beginning at about 11:27 for the intro and recording.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Terry
post May 28 2013, 12:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

That doesn't sound at all like Al Bowlly to me. For comparison listen to Belle of Barcellona, that is most definitely Al, albeit with Spanish accent instead of Italian smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44SaypHuhDA

+Quote Post
Roseman
post May 28 2013, 12:59 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

The only issue I have is why Memorylane, supposely the definitive site on Al Bowlly, has the song
even listed in his discography, if not that they too are not sure.

This may well be one of those examples where the correct answer is unknown. Then perception rules.

And to add another supposely song credited as Al Bowlly, check out this other YT link.
Beside A Dutch Canal.

Now I do question the authenticity of this one. But who knows?
Maybe someone thinks they can sell more downloads if the name Al Bowlly is
associated with it. rolleyes.gif And these can all be found on Amazon.

Don...

+Quote Post
Terry
post May 28 2013, 05:16 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

I strained my ears with Beside a Dutch Canal, but did not detect a hint of Bowlly underneath the duet, but my ears are not what they used to be..........

There are similar discussions as to whether it is Bix or not, particularly 'Waiting at the End of the Road', we all want it to be Bix, but Secrest was so good at times it is hard to tell.

This post has been edited by Terry: May 28 2013, 05:19 AM

+Quote Post
laughland
post May 29 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I searched the British Dance Band group on Yahoo (run by the same folks as who run Memory Lane) and found that this topic was dealt with when Randy Skretvedt was assembling his Bowlly mega package. Randy did not include it because while assembling the recordings he researched it and was certain Al was not the vocalist.

It's just this simple - Al Bowlly has many fans and if someone mistakenly says Al is on something it means sales for those selling and a thrill for fans who think they discovered a new recording. It's always more exciting to repeat exciting news even if it is wrong.

Terry's comparison to Bix fans grasping for every possible note in every band he might have been in is a good one.

How about some REAL Al Bowlly instead of all this phony stuff?

Lew Stone & The Monseigneur Band with Al Bowlly on vocals - You Couldn't Be Cuter (1938)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2021 - 04:52 AM