Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milestone, Today's 30 Day TLH Numbers
dismuke
post Feb 17 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I just wanted to make note of reaching a milestone for Radio Dismuke that I have been looking forward to.

One of the daily statistics Live 365 provides for its broadcasters is their cumulative Total Listening Hours (TLH) over the past 30 days - which will, of course, fluctuate somewhat on a daily basis. Today, when I checked my statistics, it showed that Radio Dismuke had, for the first time, crossed the 20,000 30 day TLH threshold for the very first time - 20, 022 TLH, to be specific.

A number of weeks ago, the station had been flirting with the 19,000 TLH threshold, but things began to trend downward for a while and was slow to recover. But once it finally crossed 19,000 TLH, it breezed up to the 20,000 THL mark much quicker than I thought. I am sure that there will be another temporary downward trend as there always is, and in the summer, the downward trend can be quite strong. But, so far, on balance the up trends have been much stronger than the down trends.

It was about a year ago that the station passed the 10,000 TLH milestone. So the station's total TLH has basically doubled in the past year.

Compared with other Live 365 stations, Radio Dismuke's ranking in terms of 30 day TLH has remained pretty constant over the past year. The station is usually ranked in the low 200s (out of around 5,000 or so stations) during the week and in the 190s on weekends. Most Internet radio stations have a huge drop off in listenership on weekends - primarily because most of the audience listens at work. Radio Dismuke, on the other hand, has only a slight drop off on weekends, and sometimes no drop off at all, causing its ranking compared with other Live 365 stations to go up. I suspect that a significant percentage of the Radio Dismuke audience listens at home due to the fact that it is next to impossible to find 1920s and 1930s on AM/FM radio.

The fact that the station's ranking compared with other Live 365 stations has remained constant tells me that the higher ranked stations are also growing at about the same rate - which makes sense as Internet radio is still very much in its infancy.

A 30 day TLH of 20,022 works out to around 27.8 listeners tuned in at any given moment - though, of course, during peak hours, the number is much higher than that. So far in February, an average of about 480 people have been tuning into the station each day and they stay tuned in for an average of 83 minutes and 10 seconds.

Approximately 30% of the TLH for February to date have been from people tuned into the ad free VIP Premium subscription broadcast as opposed to the free, ad supported broadcast. That tells me that people enjoy the broadcast enough to support Live 365 - which is good thing because, if Live 365 were to go away, it is not a sure thing that I would be able to keep the station going.

Of course, if an AM/FM radio station, even in a small market, were to turn in numbers like these, it would either be existing on some sort of government subsidy or it would be out of business. Then again, AM/FM stations have huge advantages over Internet stations - especially being able to be picked up in cars where most people do their radio listening.

I still think that Radio Dismuke's audience and the broader audience for 1920s and 1930s music as it stands today is only but a tiny fraction of what it could potentially be if people only knew that it existed. So I am always on the look-out for ways to make people aware that the station exists and to bring its music to the attention of new audiences. Obviously, the ways that I am looking for are those within the scope of my very limited advertising budget. If anyone has ideas along those lines, I would love to hear them
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ed Vasicek
post Feb 17 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 233

biggrin.gif Congratulations to Radio Dismuke!!! I found the station through an Ad on Amazon.com, I believe. I was probably looking for some 1920's music.

Anyhow, I very much enjoy the station! Please keep up the good work. I love the broad selection of music from so many artists.

Thanks, Dismuke!
Ed Vasicek
Kokomo, Indiana cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ed Vasicek
post Feb 17 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 233

I do have an idea for Dismuke. If you were able to include some current groups that do remakes (like Royal Society Jazz Orchestra, San Francisco Starlight Orchestra, Vince Giordano, Barbara Rosene, Hot Society Jazz Orchestra, etc.), you might get some free advertising on the Stomp Off Website/catalog, the George H. Buck "Jazzology" magazine and webisite, etc..

Since these bands are active money-making entities, your playing their music would increase their sales for which advertising would be a nice trade.

Just a thought! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 17 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely no modern day artists among the old!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Congrats on the rising stats!

Love,
Gregory

Ps.
Out with the old in the new...Everything old is new again!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
WhitemansWhisper...
post Feb 18 2005, 03:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 173

Congrats on reaching your milestone! Here's hoping more and more people will discover all the great music from the 20s and 30s.

I visit a website called "Lisa's Nostalgia Cafe" occasionally and she has links to all the decades of the 1910's through to the 1990's and through words and images really gives you a "feel" for each decade, the major events that happened in each, the technical advances made, the fads, and what was popular in interior design, fashion and music. Here is the website address:

http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/lisa/nostalgia.html

Perhaps you two could put a link to each other's website, a link to her's in your "Recommendations" section and she could put a link to your site in her 1920's and 1930's sections. She's actually been on the internet for 4 and one-half years now.

Would it be something you would like to look into? Just a thought I had.

+Quote Post
clark
post Feb 20 2005, 04:01 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 193

Congrats Dismuke. I was happy to read that listenership for Radio Dismuke has doubled. My enjoyment of life would be diminished without Radio Dismuke.

I need Radio Dismuke. For one thing, it saves space. I don't have room in my house for even one more 78 rpm record.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 08:20 PM