Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1940s 78RPM recording, Vladimir Stelensky
Jim
post Feb 23 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 404

In the 1940's during the war years, my father had an album of music by Valdimir Stelensky. I remember it as a album of violin music. One selection, I believe, was When a Gypsy Makes His Violin Cry. I really enjoyed the album as a kid. About 15 years ago I ran across a gentleman who collected records and he had several recordings by this artist. I believe the records were issued by Columbia Records on their orange seal.

I have tried over the past few years to locate this artist and his recordings but to no avail. I am not interested in the records as I am the music. Most of what I have now is on mp3 format. Can anyone help me on this? I am not too sure of the spelling but I have tried Valdimir on Google and nothing came up. Thank you for your time.

Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ross
post Feb 23 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 228

QUOTE(Jim @ Feb 23 2006, 03:55 PM)
I am not interested in the records as I am the music.  Most of what I have now is on mp3 format. 

Hi Jim -

Search Google for just the song title. It will bring up two sites that have this song for downloading (both are from the same Vernissage label) and you can sample it. I doubt that the 1940's album has made it to CD/mp3, but another member may have more specific information about the violinist.

Ross

+Quote Post
RichConaty
post Feb 24 2006, 03:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 279

It's Vladimir Selinsky. It happens I met Mrs. Selinsky in my role as Radio Curator at the Museum of Broadcasting. He played in a number of 1930s dance bands, including Richard Himber's.

+Quote Post
Jim
post Mar 2 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 404

Thank you both for the information you provided. From sources on the INTERNET it appears that he also went by Wladimir Stelinsky. I found the tape of the recordings that were given to me many years ago and on the tape were "Play Gypsies, Dance Gypsies, Tango Du Reve and To a Wild Rose by Waldimir Stelinsky. I also have one other by Stelinsky but don't know the name of the piece. I am sure it is the flip side of the record of one of the above. Any help would be appreciated. I think this is from his album "Salon Music" No. C-80 and is possibly from the series of Columbia records starting with 36473-76 and believe these were recorded in January of 1942. I now have these in MP3 format.

Thanks again.
Jim

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 03:59 PM