IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fun twenties-isms!, Wonderful expressions in 20's Jazz!
rostok
post Mar 3 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 252

smile.gif
One of the things I love about twenties, early thirties jazz is the wonderful musical expressions that were a part of the music during that era. Expressions that by the late thirties were only pleasent echoes. I don't know enough about musical terms to know what to really call these musical expressions. Maybe someone could halp me out on that. The fun expressions I refering to are:

1.Rut-n-ta da
2. Dut-n-da
3. Rudle-la rutha
4. Asteriasaw
etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WhitemansWhisper...
post Mar 4 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 173

Hi!

It sounds like you might be referring to scat singing, the singing of nonsensical syllables which have no meaning. It was invented by the great Louis Armstrong who influenced and inspired many a jazz singer (Ella Fitzgerald immediately springs to mind!) to imitate and follow him in performing this unique kind of singing.

Hope that helped.

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Mar 4 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

Sorry, but that Louis Armstrong invented scat singing is one of the great myths of jazz history. Ragtime singer Gene Greene scatted on several versions of his hit tune "King Of The Bungaloos" as early as 1911, and Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards made records in the early 20s with his own type of scat singing called "effin".

Fredrik

+Quote Post
rostok
post Mar 4 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #4

smile.gif nope! not talking about scat. The things I'm refering to are the actually part of the musical expressions of the instuments being played. It's very prevalent in twenties jazz. But not quite as much in the dance music of the day. I'm not really sure what the musical term for this is. Perhapts what I am refering to is called the phrasing. but 20's jazz is full of them, and I love it. If you listen closely, and keep those words in mind,you will here them. Rut-n-ta da! ect. Example: If you listen to dismuke's Duke Ellington version of "Ain't Misbehavin", you'll here the trumpit blow the da-n-da. Fun stuff!!

+Quote Post
rostok
post Mar 4 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Sorry! actually it's the trombone. It's very hard to try and discribe these things in words. But if you listen to Fletcher Henderson's 1928 version of "King Porter Stomp" you can hear this ever prevalent rut-n-ta da in Colmen Hawken's wonderful sax solo. A really nice jazz band!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 10:08 PM