Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Single Sided Zonophone Record
Aaron2006
post Feb 10 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 431

I recently bought a single sided record from my antique dealer. It's called: The Wreck Of A Troopship. Zonophone X-41027. I understand it was recorded between 1904 and 1909. But does this make sense because this would be during peace time.

unsure.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 10 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

Hello Aaron,

Just saw your post and did a quick google on 'zonohone x-41027 and found this entry. You'll need to scroll down the page to find the pertinent message or just do a find on the record number. Seems the record in question is a commemorative issue on the sinking of HMS Birkenhead. According to wiki, also referred to as HM Troopship Birkenhead. Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Don...

p.s. I've been absent for a while and glad to get back on the board. Got a lot of catching up to do.

+Quote Post
Aaron2006
post Feb 10 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks. When I bought it I thought it was another WW1 morale booster but I now know it was much more and before the war and the Titanic disaster. I will have to upload it some day. I uploaded a similar record on youtube 2 years ago.

Troops Landing In France (1914)

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 10 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Seems to be quite a story behind this disaster and the aforementioned site (blog) appears to be strickly on the Birkenhead.

There's another site I found that had a radio program that featured this record. I have to look in my recycle bin and see if I can get back the details on it.

Don...

Addition:

Here's the link. Seems to be a playlist for the fm radio station. Would be interested to see if they have archives of this series of programs.

This post has been edited by Roseman: Feb 10 2011, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
Aaron2006
post Feb 10 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

One thing I still don't understand is when the Birkenhead sank, Queen Victoria was on the throne, but in the recording, the person says "Soldiers of the King" and "God save the King". If this was a re-enactment of this voyage wouldn't it be 'Queen'?

This post has been edited by Aaron2006: Feb 10 2011, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 10 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I don't know the protocol for such; but maybe the person was speaking of the ruling monarch at the time of the recording which would have been Kng Edward.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 12:21 AM