Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fletcher Henderson CDs, Mistake in CD preparation
rocky
post Jun 1 2003, 01:20 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I took out my CD of Fletcher Henderson Volume 1 (1924) (Classics Records), as I wanted to listen to "After the Storm," "Red Hot Mama," and a few other tunes. Although the CD was stamped 1924, the songs on the CD were not the ones listed on the CD case.

The CD contains the same songs that are on Volume 3. I'm curious to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I sent an email to Worlds Records to make them aware of this. I hope I can get a correct copy of Volume 1 without too much hassle.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jun 2 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

My guess, Rocky, is that it was an error that happened sometime during the manufacturing process. A CD from one batch probably somehow got mixed in with another batch at the printing machine. I have never had such a problem before with the Classics label - and for a while I was buying a whole bunch of CDs by that same label as closeouts at very low prices. I don't have that particular Fletcher Henderson CD, however.

By the way, the place I was buying those Classics CDs for a while at close out prices was a mail order house called cybermusicsurplus.com They no longer serve as a clearance center for Classics - but they still have a few offerings from that label, two that I highly recommend; Don Redman and His Orchestra 1931-1933 and McKinney's Cotton Pickers 1928-1929 (The Cotton Pickers was a Don Redman led band) Both CDs are listed for $9.49 - which is half list price. I am a big Don Redman fan and have a number of selections from both CDs in my radio station's playlist. Also, I find the cybermusicsurplus website a bit frustrating to use at times - so I recommend that you simply use the expanded search section. It has drop down boxes that let allow you to browse by record label, genre, artist, etc. If you find something you like, snap it up because once it is gone, it is not likely to come back. I have found lots of interesting stuff at this store - both in terms of vintage jazz and pop as well as classical.

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jun 2 2003, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

Hello Rocky,

I bought all the Classics CDs with Fletcher Henderson covering the period 1921-31 some years ago, and there was no problem with my 1924 Vol 1, so let's hope this was a single mistake.

There have been, however, some cases of individual tracks being wrong on some Classic issues. As far as I know these mistakes have been corrected in later pressings, and for those who have bought the incorrect versions there was a special 3 CD-box issued a few years ago, which contained one CD with the correct versions of these tracks as well as two CDs with music that did not really fit into the regular series.

By the way, here in Europe Classics are amongs the cheapest CDs you can by (only ASV Living Era beats them as far as I know), so therefore I have always been very surprised to see the high prices the are sold for at US websites.

Fredrik

+Quote Post
rocky
post Jun 2 2003, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I found the problem. The songs on the CD are the correct ones for Volume 1, but the print-out on of songs in the Windows Media Player contains the ones for Volume 3. I clicked on the track that was supposed to be "Red Hot Mama" and indeed it was, even though the media player showed the song as "Everybody loves my baby." This can be especially confusing with regard to songs with which one is not familiar. Worlds Records will replace the CD for me.

+Quote Post
Jack Jenny
post Jun 4 2003, 07:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(rocky @ Jun 2 2003, 02:41 PM)
I found the problem. The songs on the CD are the correct ones for Volume 1, but the print-out on of songs in the Windows Media Player contains the ones for Volume 3. I clicked on the track that was supposed to be "Red Hot Mama" and indeed it was, even though the media player showed the song as "Everybody loves my baby." This can be especially confusing with regard to songs with which one is not familiar. Worlds Records will replace the CD for me.

Rocky, I have had several problems with Media Player showing the wrong tracks! I have that 4 cd JSP set of Eddie Condon's, and I think just about every disc lists the wrong tracks...I think I had the same problem with the Columbia/Sony Charlie Christian set...have you also run into cds Meida Player just can't find??? I got the Jack Purvis 3 cd set from Oracle(Very good by the way) and it just refused to find Jack Purvis. I was forever having to go back to the booklet to figure out what song was playing.

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jun 4 2003, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Jack Jenny @ Jun 4 2003, 01:51 AM)
Rocky, I have had several problems with Media Player showing the wrong tracks! I have that 4 cd JSP set of Eddie Condon's, and I think just about every disc lists the wrong tracks...I think I had the same problem with the Columbia/Sony Charlie Christian set...have you also run into cds Meida Player just can't find??? I got the Jack Purvis 3 cd set from Oracle(Very good by the way) and it just refused to find Jack Purvis. I was forever having to go back to the booklet to figure out what song was playing.

I have that same problem sometimes with Windows Media Player and with the program that I use more frequently, Musicmatch. One that comes to mind is the 2 CD set "Fats Waller and His Rhythm: Early Years Part 2 1935-1936." When I play the CD in Musicmatch or Windows Media Player, the track listings are correct for the 1st CD - but for the 2nd CD, the track listings are identical to the 1st CD.

The problem is not so much with the CD as it is with the CDDB database. CDDB is a huge online database that many media players connect with to provide track listings. Try playing a CD when you are not connected to the Internet. Chances are instead of track listings, all you will see is "Track 1," "Track 2," etc.

Sometimes when I play a CD in Musicmatch, a screen pops up asking me to select a CD from a list - one of which may or may not be the same as the CD I am wanting to play. If the CD is not found in the database (real common with obscure or private labels or with newly released CDs) it asks me to enter the track information and submit it to the database (Yeah. Right. Like I have time to do data entry work when I want to enjoy a CD). With the millions of CDs out there, one wonders if they even bother to verify such submissions for accuracy. My guess is they do not. On the Fats Waller CD I mentioned, on the first CD of the set that has the correct listings, the information on the last three tracks show artist information but not track information. Probably some person was kind enough to enter in the information for the first 20 tracks and either grew tired or accidentally clicked to submit the information prematurely - and then never submitted any information for the second CD in the set.

One of the problems with CDDB is that applications licensed to use it are forbidden to provide access other online databases. This has angered some software developers and has led to the formation of a rival CD lookup database called freedb. I have no idea whether it is more accurate than CDDB - but my guess is that you find inaccuracies there as well. Depending on the software you are using, there may be ways to bypass CDDB and access freedb. I have never tried it so I don't know from first hand experience. However, there is a freedb FAQ available at: http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?name=Sec...rticle&artid=26

+Quote Post
rocky
post Jun 5 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Dismuke, Fredrik, and Jack--thanks for the input! Here's what I've found. The track listings for Volume 3 will always pop up in Windows Media Player when I insert Volume 1 into my computer (regardless of whether I'm on line or not).

There are 21 songs in Volume 1 and 23 songs in Volume 3. Although Volume 1 will show the track listings for Volume 3, it will only show 21 listings and will cut off the last two.

I took Volume 1 to work and listened to it with the Real One Player and the track listings were correct.

I may never resolve the mystery, but I do recommend Volumes 1 thru 3 of Fletcher Henderson 1924 (Classics). Most of these songs are performed in the typical hot dance band style of the late acoustic age and are really enjoyable.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2021 - 11:54 PM