> New Registrations Temporarily Disabled
dismuke
post Oct 4 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

UPDATE

10/12/08 - The board is accepting new registrations once again. I have upgraded to the latest version which should stop the massive flood of automated registrations by spammers. As before, all new registrations will remain in "Validating" status until they actually put up postings to the board. Initial postings by newbies will go into a moderator queue and be reviewed before they are published. Once I see that a new member is legitimate and not a spammer, I will upgrade the registration to full membership status and subsequent postings will be published immediately.

- - - - - - - -

I have had to temporarily disable new members from registering to the board. Over the past few days, this board and other boards powered by the same software program have come under very heavy assault by spammers. At first, all that happened was I received a flood of new user registrations - but only one of them attempted to post any sort of message. And while it was a bit of a pain to delete them, it was not all that big of a deal. In the past hour, the new registrations have started putting up multiple postings. I have it set up for all such postings to go into a moderation queue where they must be approved by me before they become visible - so the whole thing has been invisible to visitors. However, for me, deleting the spam from the moderation queues is MUCH more time consuming than deleting the user registrations. At the rate that the postings have been going up in the last hour, if I did not do something to stop them, I would soon end up with a backlog that would easily require hours for me to clear out.

The makers of the software program that powers this board have come out with an upgrade that is supposed to thwart the automated bots that the spammers are using to register and post. Once I get a chance to download and install that upgrade, I will once again enable registration.

In the meanwhile, if you are a LEGITIMATE visitor who wishes to register, please send me an email at dismukeATdismukeDOTorg Please title your email "Message Board Registration" so I can pick it out from all of the spam that goes to that address.

Needless to say, I am not very fond of spammers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 11:06 PM