Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time Songs
Roseman
post Jul 8 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Don't know if anyone else noticed something very unique happening today, but being a numbers freak I couldn't help but post this once in a century occurrence.

Today this event happened; the time and date being sequential... 12:34:56; 7-8-09.

Now for a favorite 'Time' song. What's yours?

Don...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron2006
post Jul 8 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 431

I have two favourites

Sixty Seconds Every Minute - A sing-a-long song

Radio Times - Time is said 18 times

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 9 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I wish someone would point this stuff out before it happens!!! I would have liked to pause and notice!

This is my favorite Time song (I like the Ethel Merman version best):

"Marching Along With Time" by Tommy Dorsey

"Marching Along With Time" by Tony Martin

"Marching Along With Time" by Ethel Merman

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aaron2006
post Jul 9 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 431

We write our dates different in the UK. e.g. (July 8th 2009) USA write 7/8/09 But for us in the UK it is written as = 8/7/09

So 12:34:56; 7-8-09

Will happen on 7th August 2009 for us in Europe

This post has been edited by Aaron2006: Jul 9 2009, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Jul 9 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gregoryagogo @ Jul 9 2009, 11:47 AM) *
I wish someone would point this stuff out before it happens!!! I would have liked to pause and notice!

O.K. be advised.. Next year you can catch this time/date event on the 9th of Aug.

12:34:56.7 8-9-10 (That's 56 seconds and 7 tenths.) You gotta be quick to catch it.

or

Would you rather have something a little closer? How about Sept. 9th. this year. And since the U.S. uses the 12 hour time notation you have two chances to observe this one.

09:09:09 09-09-09

Oh by the way, I prefer the Ethel Merman too.

Don...

+Quote Post
Terry
post Jul 9 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

One of my favorite time songs is 'Leven-Thirty Saturday Night ............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0222RmqXFQ

When I was at primary school, I remember writing down the date 4.4.44 (which a day of the week calculator says was a tuesday), and thinking it had great significance smile.gif

This post has been edited by Terry: Jul 9 2009, 11:15 PM

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jul 10 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Time for some more timely music...

Annette Hanshaw - Moonlight Saving Time

Casablanca - As Time Goes By

--------------------

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jul 10 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

This has always been one of my favorite Leo Reismans. The way I found out about this record was back in 1965 a lady in West, TX, Mrs. George (Beanie) Kacir, gave my record collector friend the records in her Victrola which she had bought in the late 20's as a teen-ager. This record was amongst them and it just astonished me at how wonderfully jaunty and peppy it was--after all it was a 20's record. From then on, we called Beanie "Foolin' Time". About two months later, I found a copy on the auction list of Record Research Magazine, published out of New York by Len Kunstadt--long out of publication. I paid $3 for it, an unheard of price to pay for a record then. I've bought a couple of other copies during the years I like it so much.

Foolin' Time by Leo Reisman's Orchestra in 1928

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 13 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Jul 9 2009, 03:36 PM) *
O.K. be advised.. Next year you can catch this time/date event on the 9th of Aug.

12:34:56.7 8-9-10 (That's 56 seconds and 7 tenths.) You gotta be quick to catch it.

or

Would you rather have something a little closer? How about Sept. 9th. this year. And since the U.S. uses the 12 hour time notation you have two chances to observe this one.

09:09:09 09-09-09

Oh by the way, I prefer the Ethel Merman too.

Don...

Neeto! Thanks!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 15 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

How about In the good old summertime? Here's the song on Edison 2-minute cylinder 8213 by the Edison Military Band:

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/mp3s/200...sb-cyl2678d.mp3

Considering that we've had two major snowstorms here in Philadelphia in just over a week, this song sounds especially good!

Rocky

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 15 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (rocky @ Feb 14 2010, 08:24 PM) *
Considering that we've had two major snowstorms here in Philadelphia in just over a week, this song sounds especially good!

Hello Rocky,

We could use some of that summertime weather down here in the southland too. Snow in the panhandle of Florida and 3 inches plus in Charleston, SC. And let's not forget our friends down in Texas. What did I hear about 10 inches in Dallas/Fort Worth? What is this world coming to? laugh.gif

Oh, I also noticed you are Member No. 3 on the board. I say that puts you in charter member status along with Dismuke and a few others. Dismuke became member No. 1 on May 21, 2003 and you No. 3 on May 22, 2003. Good to see you are still following the board and posting.

Now we need No. 2 to show up and other single digit members. Maybe an old fashion message board reunion with members telling how it use to be back in '03 laugh.gif

Seriously, I enjoy going back to a lot of those prior post (don't think they're old enough to be called vintage yet) and following what was on peoples minds then. And surprisingly, you can see the progression of informational dialogue on developing media players and converters and something called YouTube.

I think it ironic that in pursuing this old music from fixed moments and technology of the past, via this board and other means, that we are led sometimes to move further away from our moments by having to use newer technology. But without the new, we would have few links to the past.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Feb 15 2010, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 15 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

It's 72 degrees F here today!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 18 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Don,

It is truly ironic that modern technology, i.e., the internet, has probably put more resources at the disposal of record collectors than anything else. I have been interested in pre-1930 popular music since 1977, but I slowed down in the '80s due to lack of outlets to get and/or hear additional records. My interest was rekindled with the advent of the internet. Now we have message boards, on-line record auctions, discographies, and tons of music on sites such as Redhotjazz and the University of California Cylinder Digitization site. We can share our music through the magic of Youtube and find just about anything we want on Ebay. New technology is opening the doors of the past. It's wonderful!

Rocky

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 19 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gregoryagogo @ Feb 15 2010, 03:14 PM) *
It's 72 degrees F here today!! rolleyes.gif

Gregory, share some of that 72 weather with the rest of us! tongue.gif Rocky

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2019 - 10:50 PM