Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Junk Food Tip, old-timey ice cream
Ian House
post Jun 26 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

Here's a tip to turn your next bowl of vanilla ice cream into an old-timey taste SENSATION!! :

Instead of using regular chocolate syrup, try using molasses instead. I like Brer Rabbit brand molasses myself -but I'm sure that any brand will do...

Mmmmmm, TASTY good. Trust me on this!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jun 27 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I think I could handle molasses on my ice cream. That doesn't seem too extreme off hand.
Of course around our house it's rare to have only one type of topping...

But maybe we need to have some of our adventuresome soft drink tasters on the board to let us know how a Moxie or Celray float works out..? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 27 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Or maybe a Baby Percy Medicine float (remember: it has orange flavoring :-)

_ _ _

Yes, the cool and sweet ice cream really does tame the normally strong flavor of the molasses... GREAT combo! Next time, I'll try it out on top of my favorite ice cream flavor: COFFEE :-)

_ _ _

Here's another one:

I read somewhere that, before the development of breakfast cereal, housewives in the Colonial period would often serve plain popcorn with cream for breakfast. I imagine that it would taste a lot like puffed wheat

I elect Bob to try this out for us and report back with his opinion...

--------------------

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jun 27 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

Ridgewood Country Club in Waco used to have the most delicious desert I ever tasted--a honey/nut/sundae--composed of just that, simple as it sounds. When we'd be guests of members, that was the only thing I looked forward to. It would be on Sundays and I'd get primed--all the next week, I'd buy my own supply of honey and ice cream and eat both every night. In fact, it's only 7:45 right now...

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
bob
post Jun 27 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Ian House @ Jun 26 2006, 07:03 PM)
I read somewhere that, before the development of breakfast cereal, housewives in the Colonial period would often serve plain popcorn with cream  for breakfast. I imagine that it would taste a lot like puffed wheat

I elect Bob to try this out for us and report back with his opinion...

Well I'll have to think about this request. I did just buy a fresh jar of Orville Redenbacher's gourmet popping corn. I pop my popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag with a little olive oil. Just staple the bag shut and nuke it for about four minutes. Does a good job.

As for a great way to eat vanilla ice cream, pour a little Bailey's Irish Cream liquor over it. Tastes Grrrreat!

tongue.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jun 27 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Molasses on ice cream? Who on earth ever heard of such a thing? Now, why didn’t I think of that? Anything with molasses as an ingredient has to be good! Give me a piece of old fashioned gingerbread fresh from the oven and life doesn’t get any better than that. Brer Rabbit has been around for years, as well as Grandma’s brand, but I really think molasses is molasses. No longer a low priced item, however. Will pick up ice cream this week and give it a whirl. Wonder how a Moxie float would taste? The ice cream might offset the bitterness of the gentian (pronounced “jenshan”) and be rather good.

I'm with you, Ian, coffee is my favorite flavor, as well, - also, "Coffee, Almond, Mocha" and "Coffee Chip". Oh Mama!!

When I was a kid we had a friend who used to grow popcorn for sale and his family used to eat it for breakfast with milk. We sometimes liked to pour a little maple syrup over a bowl of popcorn instead of having it plain. Great stuff.

Flapper

+Quote Post
birdible
post Jun 27 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

Yea, I'll have to try a Moxie float as well. It sounds like it would work out well.

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jun 27 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

The craving for a molasses ice cream sundae overtook me this afternoon and I couldn't wait until my usual shopping day to pick up some ice cream. Jogged over to Mickey D's and got a small dish of soft serve (slow jog). Not goumet ice cream, but you have to make do with what is close at hand. Laid a trickle of molasses on top and sampled the stuff. Went down pretty smooth, I must say.

Flapper

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 27 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Oh Flap!

You are the greatest! My hero.

Now I feel inspired to take this to the next level -TODAY !! I am now getting ready to visit the Safeway for a pint of Starbuck's COFFEE ice cream...

_ _ _

Can I pick anything up for anybody?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 27 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I did the deed...

Oh Lordy! Coffee ice cream & molasses ... I've died and gone to heaven :-)

_ _ _

If they ever decided to execute me for posting too many cartoon threads onto this board, I think that my last meal would be as follows:

Appetizer, your choice of:
French Onion Soup or
6 raw oysters on the half-shell

Entree:
Two lobster tails (with clarified butter)
-a bottle of Henry Weinhard's root beer

Dessert, your choice of:
Coffee ice cream with molasses topping or
A selection of marzipan fruits

-followed by a Starbucks half-caf Vente Latte!

Then, I would wash it all down with a swig of Percy Medicine...
_ _ _

Hmmm, that's a LOT of food - I wonder if Death Row gives you a doggy bag ... ??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jun 27 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Oh no! Just when I thought my craving for that molasses sundae had been satisfied, you had to go and mention coffee ice cream! So now I am back to Square One. Ben and Jerry’s, (not to be confused with Tom and Jerry), is tops in these parts – a company out of Vermont. To die for!

My last meal would definitely consist of lobster, but the whole thing with plenty of drawn butter. Just give me one of those plastic bibs and let me slurp myself to death. Who cares about calories and cholesterol at that stage of the game. You might throw in a few clams while you’re at it. And for dessert? Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream! Any flavor as long as it’s coffee.

Flapper

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 27 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Flapper Girl @ Jun 27 2006, 03:40 PM)
You might throw in a few clams while you’re at it. 

It's a deal!

Lots of clams ... and some shrimp and bacon-wrapped scallops as well! Mmmmm :-)
_ _ _

Flap, you remind me of Katherine Hepburn; According to her biography, she was also a FANATIC for coffee ice cream. I agree with both of you -there is no other flavor!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Jun 28 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I think I would pay any price for an old fashiond Mellow Roll Frap like my Grandpa used to serve in his candy store. A roll of ice cream (pick your flavor) in a glass dish with walnuts, hot chocolate syrup, caramel covered walnuts, coconut flakes, a mountain of whipped cream and a cherry on top. And if you finished it all you got a free kakmamie. Heaven, pure heaven. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 28 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Hey Ted,

That Mellow Roll Frap sounds pretty exotic! Was that your Grandfather's own invention? Google didn't come up with anything...

What's a kakmamie?

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jun 28 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I've heard of kakamamie used before as in "that was a pretty kakamamie idea you had in putting that on your ice cream".... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 05:20 AM