Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dismuke's Hit of the Week
Victor C. Brunsw...
post Jul 24 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 485

Now it seems that parts of HOW is down. When I try to listen to any of the selections from the updates through at least July 2007 it instead says "Web site not found." I've also noticed that there's a red x where the pics in the affected updates should be.

This post has been edited by Victor C. Brunswick: Jul 24 2008, 05:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jul 24 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Victor C. Brunswick @ Jul 23 2008, 11:08 PM) *
Now it seems that parts of HOW is down. When I try to listen to any of the selections from the updates through at least July 2007 it instead says "Web site not found." I've also noticed that there's a red x where the pics in the affected updates should be.

Music and image files on the HOW section up through August 2007 are stored on a different server. The files after that date were consolidated after I moved dismuke.org to a larger and better server.

I am not sure what the problem right now with the second server is. It looks like it went down earlier this evening sometime. I AM able to access the site via a backdoor address the hosting service provides me with independent of the domain name. I host the domain it is on with a company different than the web hosting service. My control panel with the web hosting service is showing that it requires dns server settings different than what was there before and what I have the domain set up to forward to. I assumed that there was a change and, a few moments ago, was prepared to update the dns settings on the domain when, suddenly, everything started working again. I was able access the old images and even listen to a couple of music clips. Then it went down again. So I am not exactly sure what the problem is - whether it is an outage on the hosting service's end or on the domain host end.

One way or another, I will get it back up. If I need to, I can always move those files over to dismuke.org. But that would be a worse case scenario as it would take me time that I will not have in the next several days to do that.

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jul 24 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I have gone ahead and updated the domain's dns settings to match the new ones provided by the hosting service. Even if it is just a temporary outage on the old dns setting, sooner or later the new one is probably going to be mandatory. Anyhow, after I made the change, I am able to access the files on the second server without any problem. However, dns changes take between 24 and 48 hours to propagate to all networks. The isp I have here at home is one or the largest in the world so their dns servers are going to be updated very quickly. I have tried accessing the files through a few proxy services and they are showing up in some but not yet in others. So, depending on one's isp and possibly what part of the world one is in, it might take a few hours or even a day before some people are able to access them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th February 2020 - 05:42 PM