IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Storing 78rpm records, What works best?
hhp1928
post Sep 1 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 296

Hi All,

Is there a 'proper' way of storing 78rpm records? I keep most of mine stacked horizontally inside a cardboard box, but have put a few into one of those record-sleeve albums that came with the larger phonograph models. Since a number have original sleeves, I try to alternate sleeved and non-sleeved in order to keep them from rubbing against eachother. Is this ok for longterm storage, or is there a better way?

Regards,
Henry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Sep 1 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

Hello HHP,
I store mine vertically in sleeves. Many years ago I was able to buy some wooden cubes that are 12" wide by 12" tall and 12" deep.
I have 21 of them and each will hold about 108 10" 78's.There used to be a place here called "Collector Records" and any time I would buy a record I would make sure that it had a heavy green paper sleeve.I also get "disk-o-file" sleeves from NAUCK'S out of Houston.
ALL of my records have medium or heavy paper sleeves and are filed according to what bands play on the record......also Victor acoustic;Victor electric;Columbia electric;Brunswick electric;etc.I have a COMPLETE collection of 10" Victor Jesse Crawford disks.
But in short vertical is the only Best way.
Cheers......Pictureroll.....Dallas,Texas

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Sep 1 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

I'm not a very good source for this information because I've never organized my records in what seems to be the best method of storage. I've always had my records in those 10-12 sleeve generic albums from the 50s--specifically, I've got a five-shelf bookcase that holds 15-17 albums apiece. You must be careful when looking through them to be sure that the inside-most ones don't slip down and have their edge break when turning the sleeves. However, my longtime collector friend Mr. Gottlieb, who had roughly 10,000 records, had shelves in an "L" formation around the corner of his record room. The records resided in heavy green sleeves--I believe they were called "Recordvelopes--and were stored vertically along the shelf with a wooden partition every every few inches. That way, if you took out a quantity of records to look through or play, removing them didn't allow the remaining records along the shelf to all flop over into the empty space provided by the missing records. Also, they were made to fit in such a way that a single record could easily be removed for playing, then put back into place. His procedure was to pull the envelope about halfway out, pull the record out and leave the envelope in place--he had the record number printed on the leading edge of the envelope, and on the mid-part of the envelope he had printed the recording dates of the records. Because he had so many records, they were organized by orchestra, then by ascending numbers within each orchestra. It doesn't matter the quantity--you could have just enough for a two-shelf bookcase--but still arrange them that way. Someday I might take my own advice, but not today. I don't think stacking records is a very good idea--obviously the records on the bottom of a high stack are under a lot more pressure than the ones at the top--a very small amount of warpage in a record near the bottom could result in it breaking.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Sep 1 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

But in short vertical is the only Best way.
Cheers......Pictureroll.....Dallas,Texas

Looks like my record collector friend in Dallas got about a 10 minute jump on me, and got the message across much more economically--he is also an example of one who has always stored his records in the proper method.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Sep 2 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I store all of my records upright in green paper sleeves that I buy at bagsunlimited.com
They are not expensive, look nice and protect the records.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th February 2020 - 05:28 PM