Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> current rotation, waiting for tunes not heard for awhile
cybertheque
post Feb 1 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 947

I've been hoping to hear the Phil Harris version of "You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me", "Mein Belli Bellt" and lots more that were mainstays a few months or weeks ago but haven't heard them for quite some time; are they in the current rotation? I would enjoy getting the skinny on the playlist scheduling.

Thanks,

Michael
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Feb 2 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Those selections are still in the playlist. It is just that the playlist currently has about 2,900 selections in it. And it is constantly growing as I get around to digitizing and restoring additional 78 rpms. Over the past couple of weeks, I have added 100 additional selections to the playlist. Currently, it takes a little over six 24 hour days for all songs to cycle through if they were played back to back.

That is why you do not hear the frequency of repetition on Radio Dismuke that you do on a typical AM/FM music station. Most AM/FM music stations have playlists that are smaller than 200 songs at any given time. If one has 400 selections in its current rotation, that is considered very large.

There are a few reasons why I do not have smaller playlists. First, my having to rotate them out regularly would be time consuming and would take away from the time I have to digitize additional recordings. Second - quite frankly, having to decide which recordings DON'T get to play on a given week would be rather agonizing. I already have a bunch of records I can't hardly WAIT to digitize because I think they deserve the exposure - so having a list of "inactive" recordings would only magnify that feeling for me. Finally, if I had smaller playlists - well, that would mean that the recordings that don't make it on any given week wouldn't get ANY exposure.

The software program that generates the playlists does place a slight emphasis in terms of the frequency of rotation on recordings that have been more recently added to the playlist. For example, when I added new recordings to the station last night, I had the software program generate a new playlist. That new playlist scheduled most of the new selections to play either three or four times over the next seven days - whereas a recording that has been in the playlist for a long time might only get played once.

So on something like this, it basically cuts both ways. If there is a particular recording that you REALLY enjoy, it probably won't repeat as often as you like. On the other hand, if you are a heavy listener, over time you will hear the songs again - but the playlist is large enough and enough stuff is regularly added that it will always be "fresh" in terms of being able to discover recordings you might not have heard before. A typical "oldies' station on AM/FM tends to cater to people who wish to be able to tune in to the "old standards" and big hits from when they were young - and thus, in my opinion, they tend to play the same old recordings into the ground over and over again year after year ignoring the less obscure stuff from the period. My advantage when programing the station is that the vast majority of the audience was born well after that era had ended - thus there is no pressure to limit the station to just the "hits" of the period. Thus whether I play a recording that was a big hit or whether I play one that was very obscure and sold very few copies, the recording is likely going to be "new" to most people in the audience.

As for publishing playlists in advance announcing exactly what time certain songs will play - that would be difficult for me to do from a technical standpoint and, even if I could do it, my service agreement with both Live365 and LoudCity explicitly prohibit me from doing so.

+Quote Post
cybertheque
post Feb 2 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 947

QUOTE (dismuke @ Feb 1 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Those selections are still in the playlist. It is just that the playlist currently has about 2,900 selections in it.

Thanks for that, I'll be patient wink.gif

As for publishing playlists in advance announcing exactly what time certain songs will play - that would be difficult for me to do from a technical standpoint and, even if I could do it, my service agreement with both Live365 and LoudCity explicitly prohibit me from doing so.

Good to know -- I hope that I didn't imply I was hoping for advance log data, just the obversations about how playlists are handled which you amply explained!

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 4 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

After musing over this post I got to brain-storming how this scenerio of Michael's desire to hear certain songs from Radio Dismuke, that is being streamed via Live365, could possibly have any workable solutions.

A couple of ideas came to mind and I'll share those thoughts for what they're worth.

OPTION ONE
Dismuke often makes reference to AM/FM radio stations and I well remember when they were primary sources for music and entertainment. In fact, when I started listening to radio it was only AM. FM was not even on the scene yet.

But they had their flaws such as static, poor reception etc. and also one was restricted to just a few local stations and then for just selected hours of the day.

Now we have 24/7 internet radio with hundreds of stations and genres to choose from. But they lack one really simple advantage that the old AM/FM world had and that is the Request Line. You contacted your station and requested them to play a unique and particular selection just for you and you heard it.

Wow... what a novel idea. Wonder why internet radio hasn't come up with that concept? Or wonder why Live365 has not come up with that idea?

Just think, if you could go to Radio Dismuke, click on the play button and up pops the current music playing and an icon button to select a table of contents of all the songs Dismuke has uploaded to Live365

You then click on the contents button and it takes you to a page with a row of buttons labeled A thru Z for the song titles. You pick a letter, click it and then you are presented an alphatized song list and you choose your selection and voila, it's merged into the current playlist to be played within ( we'll choose some abitrary time here) 10 minutes.

And guess what, it will even inform you if the song has just recently been played and will forfeit your selection and let you choose another. How about even letting you dedicate it to someone? Boy we are really cooking now. Want to see something like this currently working? Go here. Check out the Playlist & /Requests option.

OPTION TWO
I currently have a piece of software ( legit; not underground stuff) that allows me to record any streaming radio station that has its format in mp3 and all the pertinent ID3 tags. You say o.k., what's the big deal? The big deal is that it records the stream and breaks it down into individual song selections based on the ID3 tags. I simply choose a station and bring up the software and it grabs the url and starts recording. It's done in the background and I can simply leave it along and come back later to stop the recording and it will save all the individual songs to my music library. Each with song tiltle and artist applied. This is what I use if I want to record selections from Radio Dismuke.

So how does this software help in the Michael/Dismuke scenerio? In its present it won't. But think what would happen if the program was enhanced with a filtering option that one could enter into a table a song title or a performer's name and it only record those that matched? Far fetched? Not really. There probably is some software already available that will do this. But for the time being this one is what it is. If you have an interest in this software. Visit this site for Replay A/V 7.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Feb 4 2010, 03:23 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 04:20 PM