Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Milestone
Roseman
post Sep 28 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

We are about to reach a rather unique milestone here on Dismuke's Message Board.

The post 'Bing Bash 2008', in this forum, is about to obtain 100,000 hits. Evidently the topic title has gotten pretty high in the Google algorithm and is getting a lot of attention. Little did I realize when I put up the post, that the title would attract this much attention

I guess this can be good for the board and has the potential to attract new members.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Sep 28 2008, 11:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Oct 4 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Don -

I finally got a chance to look at the website statistics and see if there was any indication where all those visitors are coming from. Unfortunately, I could not find anything. It would be very nice if all of those visitors were real-life human beings actually looking at the thread. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of automated bots.

For example, there rarely isn't a time when I glance at the ip addresses of the "guest" visitors (non-registered users) browsing the forum that one or more of them does not resolved to a search engine of some sort. Search engine bots prowl through sites indexing them and updating information available for search results.

Automated programs operated by spammers also prowl message boards like this one. In the past few days, I have had between 60 and 100 new registrations per day - almost all of them accounts set up by would-be spammers who ended up not being able to post because of restrictions I have set up for recently registered newbies.

A few minutes ago, I took a look at the "guests" browsing the board - and the list showed that 5 of them, each with very different ip addresses were "printing a topic." That doesn't sound quite right to me. How often do people actually print out message board discussions? I am sure that there are people who do on occasion. But at that moment, there were only 12 guests visiting the board. For 5 of them to be printing out a topic all at the same moment - well, that just doesn't sound very realistic. My guess is there is no paper at all coming out of a printer at the other end. My guess is it is those spammer bots probing various features of the message board looking for vulnerabilities and such that they might be able to exploit. Most likely, it is the same spammer bot just using proxy servers to make each instance look like they come from a different location.

So, unfortunately, when the numbers for a given thread get that high compared with the others, there is always the possibility that it is the result of an automated program. I have, in the past, noticed on occasion that the bandwidth usage for Hit of the Week updates has spiked significantly. When I went into the website stats to check, what happened is a single audio file ended up being downloaded over and over again for weeks at a time. My guess is some automated program got stuck in a "loop." I think it is possible that something like that could be happening with the thread as well.

Another possibility is the fact that the thread contains images. Images on boards like this will sometimes show up in google images search results.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 10:41 PM