IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maritime Tragedy from 1928 - SS Vestris Sinking, Resembles The Poseidon Adventure
victrolajazz
post Mar 14 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

A maritime tragedy from 1928, the foundering and sinking of the SS Vestris, is little remembered or heard about today. Fortunately not many lives were lost, so that may be the reason. In some ways it resembles the movie The Poseidon Adventure. There are compelling accounts from a number of the survivors, of whom the South American representative of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) was one:

SS Vestris Sinking - 1928

Eddie the Collector
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron2006
post Mar 14 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 431

Amazing. Never even heard of this disaster until now. Did some searching and it appears the nightmare for some survivors was far from over. As soon as they arrived back in New York, 27 survivors wanted to travel to Europe. They unfortunately booked passage on RMS Celtic. It was to be her last voyage as well. The weather was so bad the ship was forced up onto rocks off the coast of Ireland. The ship began to list and the order was given to abandon ship. Her lifeboats were successfully lowered and picked up by rescue vessels. The ship was considered lost and remained stranded on the rocks for several years before being dismantled and scrapped.

RMS Celtic

This post has been edited by Aaron2006: Mar 14 2010, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Mar 15 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Though much smaller, one can see in her lines a vague resemblance in miniature to those of the much larger Titanic, which was still able to be constructed using the beautiful yacht-like lines which made it so lovely as compared to later, much larger vessels, especially the huge hotel-in-a-tub behemonths of today. Also, her interior appointments are quite elaborate, obviously depicting first-class level of accommodation. I'm certain there were a few well-stocked Victrolas sitting around as well. Don't know if a ship of that size would have employed an orchestra.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
Guest_RexClaman_*
post Sep 18 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Guests

This was a very interesting read and I'd never heard of this incident before. I see what you mean by a sort of miniature Titanic. I think I'm going to talk about the SS Vestris in my next school project.

This post has been edited by RexClaman: Oct 7 2010, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Sep 22 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (RexClaman @ Sep 18 2010, 12:49 PM) *
This was a very interesting read and I'd never heard of this incident before. I see what you mean by a sort of miniature Titanic. I think I'm going to talk about the SS Vestris in my next school project.

Welcome to the board RexClaman! Glad you found this very interesting subject to respond to as your first post! Best of luck in your project and I'm sure it will be of great interest to those to whom you present it.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2021 - 05:28 PM