Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Old Masters Reissue Label, Good Price On Ebay
dismuke
post Feb 9 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

One of my favorite reissue labels is The Old Masters which was operated by the late George Morrow. The label specialized in late 1920s and early 1930s dance bands and the audio quality of the reissues was excellent. Morrow's passing last year made national headlines because he was a famous mathematician and one of the pioneers of the modern computer industry. He had a collection of 70,000 plus 78s and, of course, the CD label.

Morrow's son is now selling the entire line up of The Old Masters releases as "Buy It Now" items on ebay at $12.50 each - including shipping. That is a great price - you would be hard pressed to be able to pick up used copies of those CDs on line for that price when one factors in shipping. I already had most of the CDs - but the other day I bought 6 that I did not have and there's still a few more that I am going to order this week as well.

The link to the ebay store is: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Old-Masters
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
archiegoodwin
post Jun 4 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 288

I just saw these today on ebay, I see they are selling one group of 33 for $299, do you know if it is the entire Old Masters collection?

Which are your favorites? I was looking at the Coon Sanders and Fred Hall cds, but there are several I'm not familiar with at all.

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jun 10 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

I probably have 80% or so of the TOM CDs, and I can assure you that they are all very worth owning. Fabulous music, interesting liner notes and good transfers throughout!

Fredrik

+Quote Post
marty
post Jan 4 2006, 03:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 375

Does anyone know what became - if anything - of George's half-finished projects he'd begun with The Old Masters? (It's just my wishful hoping that someone somewhere somehow will purchase/continue those projects!)

Thanks!

Marty

+Quote Post
RichConaty
post Jan 21 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 279

George once sent me a CD of Seger Ellis material not on MB 131. Only a dozen tracks, not enough for another volume, but nice to have. I believe Morrow's daughter sent me a third full volume of Six Jumping Jacks material.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th December 2021 - 03:23 AM