Forum Rules 
> Who are the Dixie Two-Steppers?
t4u
post Oct 31 2004, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 142

Dear List,

Here's a question about a band which I can find no information about, anywhere. I've heard a few recordings by a band called the "Dixie Two-Steppers" on Radio Dismuke and like them a lot. The recordings sound like possible transcriptions of a mid-20's radio program, almost certainly for dancing. They aren't the best group, but nevertheless, thier recordings have a certain energy and verve about them. The recordings are almost always medleys consisting of two songs from then recent movies or revues, such as one especially nice medley of "Am I Blue?" and "Liza" from "Showgirl". They are announced clearly at the beginning and end of each number. Does anyone know about this great but little-known band? One possibility is that "Dixie Two-Steppers" may be a recording pseudonym used by a little-known dance orchestra.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good weekend,
Henry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Casaloma
post Nov 5 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

After a lot of searching through dusty bins, I located a transcription by the Dixie Two-Steppers, circa 1929. Apparently this was a band assembled for the recording from the Ray Miller Orch. and featured such great talent as Muggsy Spanier, Eddie Lang and vocals by a Mary Williams.
The program was sponsored by the Meadows Manufacturing Co. of Bloomington, Il and recorded at WGN Chicago. The sponsor made washing machines. The MC went under the commercially-convenient name of Sunny Meadows.
In addition to Am I Blue & Liza medley, the disc contains the following tunes: Painting The Clouds With Sunshine & Lonesome Little Doll; For Someone I Love & Orange Blossom Time; Little By Little & Waiting At The End Of The Road; Can't We Be Friends & Moanin' Low; Is It Spain & A Most Remarkable Girl.
Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 12:15 PM