Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I will be a guest D.J. live on radio WFMU
tferbe
post Apr 20 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 308

I will have the privilege of being a guest on a live radio program here in the New York area and the show is also simulcast on the internet. The show airs this Tuesday evening April 25th, from 7:00 - 8:00PM eastern time on 91.1 FM WFMU. The program hosted by Mike Cumella is called "The Antique Phonograph Music Program". It alternates every week with another terrific show called Thomas Edison's Attic. Mike plays only the early acoustic records on original disk and cylinder record players. I will be introducing and discussing a number of records from my personal collection. The show will also go into WFMUs archives and can be listened to anytime. The web address is WWW.wfmu.org - I am inviting everyone I know to listen in. This is the first time I will be doing this and hopefully I won't mess up too badly and be invited back in the future. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 20 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Excellent ! congrats on getting this great opportunity!

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 20 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Yes, congratulations Tferbe!

I'll make it a point to listen in (if I remember to).... or listen to the archive (if I don't :-)

I'm sure you will do a GREAT job! Thanks for letting us know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 20 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

I have made note of the date and time of your guest appearance on the WFMU program and plan to listen in. As a member of the Dismuke Message Board family, I wish you the very best as you test the waters of broadcasting for the first time. Break a leg, kid!! I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Flapper

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 26 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Well Ted, I caught part of your program and I think you did a great job. Any behind the scenes stories to share with us? tongue.gif

Anyway I'm going to have to listen to the archived copy and catch the portion I missed.

If anyone wants to see the playlist and hear the archived copy of it you can select this link right here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 26 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Nice job Ted

You're a natural! ... It sure must be crowded in your home with 3000 78s and EVERY Life magazine ever issued?? Wow :-)

I hope you return for another program...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gart
post Apr 26 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Ted,

Very interesting show. I listened to some of it. And, thanks to the link, I'll dip into it periodically. Sounds fun.

How many Life magazines do you have? What kind of value would you put on that collection? Also, what kind of newspapers have you collected? Significant days in history? Sounds interesting.

Laughland--thanks for posting the link for dummies like me. It sure makes it easy to listen to it.

Flapper--am thinking of you. have just started reading a newly published book, "Flapper," by Joshua Zeitz. It's a fun read and more than just about flappers. It's about women gaining more and more rights. You've got Scott and Zelda, perhaps the original flapper; Colleen Moore, Clara Bow and Louis Brooks. I highly recommend it.

Best, Gart

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 26 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Ted,

You breezed right through the show like a real pro. I was particularly interested in the WWI song. Someone gave me a box of old sheet music a while back and there were a number of WWI songs included. I will have to check them out and see if When You Come Back is one of them. Two of my uncles were called up for service in that war.

While the records were playing, I tried to envision the people who originally purchased those records and sat around the "Talking Machine" listening to them. As you said, it was another time and another place in history and the music of that era tell their own story of those days.

Flapper Girl

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Apr 26 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

First I'd like to thank everyone for your kind words. It was really a fun experience and I hope to be back again in about six months.
I've been in radio studios many times before with my Old Time Radio re-enctment group but still it was kind of strange being in a studio with computer hook-ups, complicated control boards and other high tech, then Mac wheels in a wind console victrola and a table top victor with a big black horn. When he says low tech he means it. He puts the microphone right into the horn and another into the open doors on the console and away it goes. One of the great parts of his show is that Mac is quite young so there is a good chance this music will be on the air for a long time to come.
I wasn't kidding when I spoke of running out of room. I have been a paper collector for more than thirty years and had little if any room before I got into the 78s. My oldest newspaper is from 1683 (my oldest record is a Berliner from 1899). I have several other paper items even older. I have been seriously thinking of selling the Life magazine collection. It even includes a mint copy of the pre-publication "rehersal dummy" and all the promotional mini-mags. Any takers? They are all bagged and sorted by date. Contact me at sentjourn@email.com
Thanks again, friends for your comments. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 26 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tferbe @ Apr 26 2006, 01:29 PM)
Any takers?

2 questions:

Are they intact? -Or have the advertisement pages been removed...

And, would you consider selling piecemeal? -say, perhaps, 1936-1960

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 26 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tferbe @ Apr 26 2006, 01:29 PM)
Contact me at sentjourn@email.com

Hi Ted, I just sent you a private email :-) Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Ted,

Do you have any other WWI songs in your record collection? I went through the box of sheet music I have and found at least ten songs pertaining to WWI. They were given to me about five years ago by a lady who was well into her 90's and residing in a nursing home. Apparently numerous songs were written during those years. The only two that seem to have endured have been Over There and It's a Long Way to Tipperary. It was interesting to hear the one you played in the program last night and wonder if you have others.

Flapper

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Apr 27 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Flapper Girl, I don't know how many I have but it must be at least a dozen or more W.W. I patriotic tunes. Send me a list of what you are looking for and I'll check it out. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 27 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Ted,

Here is a listing of the WW1 songs I have in the box of old sheet music, along with dates of copyrights. Some are patriotic songs while others are songs of prayer and longing for those who were sent off to war. I am curious to know whether you have any of these songs in your record collection? If so, perhaps you might play some of them in future programs? Except for Over There and Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning, I have never heard any of the others. Wonder if you have?

A Motherís Prayer (1918)
Angels Of the Cross of Red "To the Brave and Unselfish Women of America This Song is Dedicated" (1918)
AíTop of the World Our Flag (1918)
Break the News to Mother (There is a notation that the song was originally written in 1897 during the Spanish American War and a new edition published during WW1 by popular request)
For Your Country and My Country (The Official Recruiting Song) Written by Irving Berlin (1917) (Has a picture of Uncle Sam beating a drum with an eagle behind him)
God Be With Our Boys Tonight (1917)
Hello Central! Give Me No Manís Land (Introduced by Al Jolson in Sinbad) (1918)
Joan of Arc They Are Calling You (1917)
Keep The Home-Fires Burning (ĎTill The Boys Come Home) (1915)
My Sweetheart Is Somewhere In France (1917)
Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning (Irving Berlin - 1918)
On The Road To Home Sweet Home (1917)
Over There (Geo. M. Cohan -1917)
Send Me Away With A Smile (A War Love Song With Universal Appeal) (1917)
Somewhere In France Is Daddy (1918)
Somewhere In France Is The Lily (1917)
Thereís A Green Hill Out In Flanders (Thereís A Green Hill Up In Maine) (1917)
Three Wonderful Letters From Home (1918)
Weíre Going Over (1917)

Thanks,
Flapper

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 27 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Hey Flapper,

Some of these songs you can download from the Internet Archive and listen to right now...

Here are some I spotted after a few minutes of searching... I've linked these to the pages where each can be downloaded.

Break the News to Mother (from 1899 which agrees with your notation about a possible Spanish American War origin)

For Your Country and My Country

Hello Central! Give Me No Manís Land

Joan of Arc They Are Calling You (it's listed as just "Joan of Arc" but I think this is the right song)

Somewhere In France Is The Lily

Keep The Home Fires Burning

On The Road To Home Sweet Home

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 04:22 PM