Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World War 1 songs
ross
post Apr 28 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

(Would a member please give me a tutorial (in non-tech pre-school terminology!) on how to insert a hyperlink? Nothing fancy, just basic!)

Since the subject has come up, there are a raft of these songs at the University of Houston's Website:

www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/music/type_noncopyright.cfm

Lots of other categories too. Sound varies a lot in the dozen or so I have heard. Easy site to navigate.

I had heard of, but never heard before, Morton Harvey's 1915 hit "I Don't Want My Boy to be a Soldier". He was a baritone from Oklahoma - though he sounds sort of British/Irish to me - even though Victor insisted he was a tenor. In 1915 America was isolationistic but about a year later, public opinion supported intervention. Harvey was identified with this song and his recording career bombed. He spent the rest of his life in small-time vaudeville. Still, it's a stirring song (try the UH's second listing; the first was a dud on my PC).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ross
post Apr 28 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Correction: The title is "I Didn't Raise My Boy to be a Soldier"

Ross

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 28 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Hi Ross,

Follow these instructions in the message editor:

At the appropriate insertion point in your message, click on the "http://" button and a popup window will appear (below)

Enter the webpage address into this window and hit "OK" Another window (below) will appear.

This is where you type in the desired description -as you wish it to appear on the message page. When finished, hit "OK" again. Preview your message and doublecheck the hyperlink before posting...

That should work...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gart
post Apr 28 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Ian,

You are incredible! You should have been a teacher. You would have made a heck of a tech writer--except you make things clear. I plan to save this page. I don't have an immediate need for a hyperlink (in fact, I don't even know what it is), but I'm fascinated how you have this bottomless knowledge. Gart

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 28 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks Gart! ... Just too much spare time I guess... (and there's a bottom to it -trust me :-)

PS. A hyperlink is simply a clickable link to another webpage. It can be a line of text or an image graphic....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 28 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Thanks for the Duke University link to additional WW1 songs, Ross. It has been an education to learn how many songs were written during that time period. Also, thanks to Ian for the tutorial on how to insert a hyperlink. I didn't know how to that either. I take notes or print out pages whenever I learn something new. If I don't, by the next time it comes around, I've forgotten how it was done. Yes, Ian has so much knowledge stashed away up there. The wonderful part about it is that he is willing to share it all with us. laughland is the same. He seems to be able to search and find just about anything and is so helpful in linking the results on the board. What a great crew on this board!

Thanks guys!

Flapper

+Quote Post
ross
post Apr 29 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi Ian -

Thanks a bunch for the tutorial. I followed Box 1 ok. In Box 2, I 'm guessing that I can give the link in Box 1 a nickname, so to speak, which will then appear in my posting. Or I could maybe just repeat the entry from Box 1 in Box 2??? I'm confused by the Explorer terminology in Box 2
"Enter the title of the webpage". Maybe Explorer means the nickname?

How are you and Miss Lee Morse enjoying Ohio?

Ross

+Quote Post
birdible
post Apr 29 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

Ian, excellent job. You would do great at the place where I work. I'm a part time computer technician and we have some guys, one especially who does not do a great job of explaining things to people.(communication is the key when trying to troubleshoot or help someone out over the phone) Usually they get confused, think there stupid call us or come back, someone else explains it and they get it. Anway great job.

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 29 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Hi Ross,

You understand it EXACTLY right! ... Box 1 = the actual web address (ie. http://www.dismuke.org )
and Box 2 = the nickname you wish to use in your message -just as you say (ie "Dismuke's great website")

The end result will look like this:

Yesterday, I spent almost all of my spare time surfing around on Dismuke's great website ... and if you click on this underlined link (it becomes underlined automatically), you will be sent to the address that you input into Box 1.

And yes, there's no harm in copying the string of address text from Box 1 and pasting it into Box 2 ... The result will simply be a clickable version of the server address (which is very intuitive for the end user to understand)

Give it a try for yourself. Just ignore the lingo used in the box window if it confuses you... You'll quickly get the hang of it.

OK Ross, here's your "final exam": Please reply back to this thread and provide us all with a link to the Radio Dismuke homepage ( www.dismuke.org/radio/ )

_ _ _

Actually, Miss Morse and I are still residing in California. I'm having a house constructed in Indiana (Noblesville -a suburb of Indianapolis) as we speak... I expect to make the move in late July. I'm thinking of taking Lee to her hometown (Kooskia, Idaho) en route as I drive my way across the country. I'm tentatively developing a small presentation for the folks of Kooskia called the "Lee Morse Homecoming" as part of Kooskia's annual "Kooskia Days" celebration... as a way of introducing the town to their forgotten daughter... Still in the notion phase though :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 29 2006, 02:43 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(birdible @ Apr 28 2006, 08:37 PM)
Ian, excellent job. You would do great at the place where I work. I'm a part time computer technician and we have some guys, one especially who does not do a great job of explaining things to people.(communication is the key when trying to troubleshoot or help someone out over the phone) Usually they get confused, think there stupid call us or come back, someone else explains it and they get it. Anway great job.

Thank you for your kind words birdible :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Apr 29 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 27 2006, 08:20 PM)
Thanks Gart!  ... Just too much spare time I guess... (and there's a bottom to it -trust me :-)

I, like Gart, think Ian should have been a teacher, too. I've been the recipient of his generous tutorials on how to get my photographs onto the site. If his knowledge is not bottomless, as he claims, his patience certainly is.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 29 2006, 04:17 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Well, my word! ... All I can conclude from all of this warm attention is that there sure must have been a LOT of pent up and unspoken desire to post a hyperlink by some of our members!! ... Just glad to be of some assistance :-)

(blush)

_ _ _

Actually, this may be an appropriate place to return some of the appreciation. I think that it's reasonable to assume that many members in our community have personal life experiences and memories that reach back to the age that is celebrated by this website. For those of us who are, unfortunately, too young to share those firsthand experiences with you, your stories, photos, humor and grace serve as an invaluable contribution here. And, even more remarkable is your willingness to tackle this newfangled computer technology so that you can join the conversation. It gives us a delightful bridge to the past that I think is quite unique to this community. We represent every generation here... I just LOVE seeing the occasional photographs posted in this forum, all of your wonderful Flapper moms :-) ...and reading stories about schoolhouse inkwells and checkerberry paste. It gives us such a personal window into our cherished Jazz Age past...

I tip my hat back to you, our Greatest Generation...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 29 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

FYI, there is another good tutorial done by Ian on how to add an avatar to your postings on this Board. It is my own personal “Tutorial for Dummies”. I barely knew what an avatar was at the time and didn’t have a clue on how it was done. I asked for help and Ian volunteered. He dragged me step-by-step, inch-by-inch to the water’s edge and gently led me in. It took a while but under his skillful guidance, I was finally able to cross that muddy river and landed safely on the other side quite unscathed and none the worse for wear. Amazingly enough, my avatar had gone from here to there and was exactly where I wanted it to be in my profile box. Pretty neat!

If anyone would like to add an avatar to their postings, but don’t know how to do it, may I refer you to that tutorial. You can find it under “Technical Issues”. Go to the bottom of the page and in the “Search This Forum”>”Enter Key Words”, type in “Avatars”. It will bring up the page dated March 29, 2005 with my inquiry and Ian’s step-by-step instructions.

I’m hoping to see some new avatars popping up soon!

Flapper

+Quote Post
ross
post Apr 30 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Hi Ian -

Thanks for your follow-up posting. I'm ready for my exam:

A Great Jazz Age Music Website

and another:

Favorite Website

Ross smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 03:57 PM