Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sleepy hall
slip
post Jan 29 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 507

you played a record" between the devil and the deep blue sea" i know the record says sleepy hall buts it's really gene kardos' orchestra as are all the todd rollins' sides. the teddy lange crowns are TEDDY LANG and not joel shaw. i knew teddy he gave me the whole personel.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2nd Sax Bb Tenor
post Jan 30 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1198

Where'd you hear about Kardos being Rollins?

A buddy of mine knew Teddy Lang too. I think there's just the one Crown coupling, but I may be wrong.
Joe Ortolano (trombone) and Paul Ricci (clarinet) were the notables in that band as I recall.

Here's a squib about Sleepy Hall:
"John "Sleepy" Hall, was a banjo player who went to Yale, in 1924. He led the Yale Banjo Club, entertained with his band there and also toured. Rudy Vallée also was in his band at one time and recorded with Hall.  He had an exceptional custom-made banjo made for him by Bacon Banjo Co."
This is by Dailymotion.com contributor "kspm0220s" in connection with a vid of another Hall pseudo side.

I see you're from New York. I think about 9 in 10 of those interested in this depression-era stuff are New Yorkers. I was there 18 years myself...

This post has been edited by 2nd Sax Bb Tenor: Jan 30 2012, 08:32 PM

--------------------
Music is joy. Music shared is joy multiplied.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2021 - 11:31 PM