post Jan 27 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

QUOTE (limden @ Jan 24 2011, 02:42 PM) *
Volume 6 .

Limden

Thanks Limden. Only four more to go and you are going to be out of a job. Job well done. Things are going to really slow down around here then, unless someone sets a fire under this forum and gets it moving again. Put on your thinking caps and see if anyone comes up with any ideas.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Jan 27 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Actually Bob I believe there are five more to go because Randy said, a while back, that he would re-do Volume 1 to bring it into line with the very latest research on Bowlly's early recording history. Then I suggest the whole enterprise needs an index.

After that, Randy's talent for assembling ancient recordings can't be allowed fall idle! Which band or artist would we like him to tackle next?

Someone over on the Yahoo Al Bowlly site proposed Sam Browne but perhaps it's unreasonable to suggest another UK singer though he did have a fine voice and made even more recordings than Al. Something of Al's diversity might be lacking too. It's variety that's needed – so many great artists of the period can become a bit wearisome if their recordings are played one after another. We need a brilliant idea and I don't have one!

Limden

+Quote Post
bob
post Jan 27 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

QUOTE (limden @ Jan 27 2011, 02:09 PM) *
Actually Bob I believe there are five more to go because Randy said, a while back, that he would re-do Volume 1 to bring it into line with the very latest research on Bowlly's early recording history. Then I suggest the whole enterprise needs an index.

After that, Randy's talent for assembling ancient recordings can't be allowed fall idle! Which band or artist would we like him to tackle next?

Someone over on the Yahoo Al Bowlly site proposed Sam Browne but perhaps it's unreasonable to suggest another UK singer though he did have a fine voice and made even more recordings than Al. Something of Al's diversity might be lacking too. It's variety that's needed – so many great artists of the period can become a bit wearisome if their recordings are played one after another. We need a brilliant idea and I don't have one!

Limden

Don't have any ideas at this time but have been thinking about it. You might already know about this site. Jack Hylton All in MP3 format. If you are looking for variety there are many artists that recorded with Jack's band. Everything he ever recorded is available for download.

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
limden
post Jan 31 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Yes, Jack Hylton is certainly well covered by Pete Faint's website and we mustn't forget the Lee Morse Songbook compiled by Ian House (where's he gone? I miss him!). It is of course possible to collect near-total collections of certain artists by searching on Jazz-on-line: example Valaida Snow (and doesn't she become wearing after listening to more than a few at a time!). It would still be nice to think of someone worthy of the Randy Skretvedt treatment though.

Returning to Bowlly, here's Volume 5 .

Limden

This post has been edited by limden: Jan 31 2011, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post
bob
post Jan 31 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

QUOTE (limden @ Jan 31 2011, 04:19 AM) *
Yes, Jack Hylton is certainly well covered by Pete Faint's website and we mustn't forget the Lee Morse Songbook compiled by Ian House (where's he gone? I miss him!). It is of course possible to collect near-total collections of certain artists by searching on Jazz-on-line: example Valaida Snow (and doesn't she become wearing after listening to more than a few at a time!). It would still be nice to think of someone worthy of the Randy Skretvedt treatment though.

Returning to Bowlly, here's Volume 5 .

Limden

Hi Limden

Ian House is still around and doing well. You can hook up with him on Facebook. Facebook Ian also owns American Yesteryear at this link. American Yesteryear Why don't you befriend him. I'm sure he would be happy to hear from you. Also here is my page on facebook. Facebook I don't say to much but it is a good site to stay in touch with everyone.

smile.gif Bob

This post has been edited by bob: Jan 31 2011, 06:33 PM

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 1 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Thanks Bob. It's not so much the case that I seek to establish direct contact with Ian House though of course I'm glad to learn he's doing well, rather it's that I miss his once-frequent contributions to this board. The same goes for other names from the not-too-distant past – Flapper Girl, Don (Roseman), ross (he actually knew Greta Keller!) - and I'm sure I've forgotten other regular contributors from a few years back. Even Dismuke Himself seldom puts in an appearance these days. I suppose there's only so much one can say about music from “our” era. Certainly I can't think of anything right now. It's inevitable that people will fade away but it's sad all the same......

Thinking of Greta Keller, maybe she could be the next candidate for the Randy Skretvedt treatment? Just a thought.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 7 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Volume 4. We are getting into uncertain early Bowlly history now.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 14 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Volume 3.

Limden

+Quote Post
Terry
post Feb 15 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

The Fred Elizalde sides in these earlier recordings stand out like jewels.

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 22 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

I feel like I'm intruding on Limden's territory on this thread, so forgive me Limden if I am, but I saw this message from Randy in reference to the last of the Al Bowlly files and felt that others may hve been wondering the status like me.
Don...

Here's the quote:

"In case you were wondering, Volume 2 is coming soon--likely tonight (although
I'm in the US, which means it will likely be Wednesday morning in the UK). I
have to change the order of several tracks in Volume 1 and Volume 2, as Ray
Pallett's new discography in "They Called Him Al" corrects several previously
published dates. I'm also in the throes of another project which will be
finished tonight but which demands all my time right now. So--stay tuned, your
patience will be rewarded".

All the best--
Randy

This post has been edited by Roseman: Feb 22 2011, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 22 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Feb 22 2011, 03:05 PM) *
I feel like I'm intruding on Limden's territory on this thread, so forgive me Limden if I am, but....
[/i]

Of course you're forgiven Don. Bowlly's not my private territory at all! Did anything come of your idea for a clickable index for Randy's collection? It would be great if only it could be done. Anyway I'm sure you'll agree that some sort of an index is needed in order to finish the whole thing off properly.

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 22 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

QUOTE (limden @ Feb 22 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Did anything come of your idea for a clickable index for Randy's collection? It would be great if only it could be done. Anyway I'm sure you'll agree that some sort of an index is needed in order to finish the whole thing off properly.

Limden

Glad that you asked. Yes I do have an indexed app (shall we enter the Iworld now). I was sort of planning to unveil it when Randy had all the files out there. But it's probably close enough to bring it out. I can't guarantee perfection for everyone's different browsers, but I tried to make it as simple as possible with hope that it would work for all.

It should be self explanatory. Song title; Vol# and Trk #; Band and/or performer.

Give it try and let me know what you think.

I also have a version for Excel that is pretty neat. Simply dump the Excel file into the same folder with the music files and voila you view the index and play a selection on one screen.

AB Index

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Feb 22 2011, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 22 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

That's a mighty impressive index Don but it does look as though something ought to happen when I click on a title or Volume/Track and of course it doesn't. You'll have to give ignoramuses like me a course of instruction in how to use it especially if we have to grapple with Excel which is unknown territory. blink.gif

Time for my night-time cocoa I think. I'll return tomorrow by which time I expect Randy will have delivered the goods again.

Limden

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2020 - 07:35 PM