Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some New Recommendations
Roseman
post Mar 1 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

O.K. Fellows, I guess it's just us four.. for now anyway. Maybe more will show up in the near future.
Taking a famous line from the American baseball movie, Field of Dreams; "If you build it. They will come".

I had mentioned in a previous thread that it's getting harder to find good music sites
(78rpm era stuff) for recommendation. Most of the surviving good sites are already
known by us and besides Youtube seems to have become the place to seek out most
any genre and music taste you may desire. So why look anywhere else?

I read this morning in the WSJ that YouTube viewers worldwide are now watching
more than 1 billion hours of videos a day. This doesn't tell us how many people are watching.
and how long. But if we use the current World Population Clock at 7.5 billion humans on this
planet and assume ( just for comparison) the average watch time is about 1 hour; that calculates
out over 13% of the total world population. That's the equivalent of every man, woman, and child
in the U.S., the 28 countries of the E.U., Australia, N.Z, plus another 250 million.
That is an amazing statistic.

Now to some recommendations.

Unfound sites hosting our era music is rare. Mainspring Press, a company specializing in books
and electronic publications about historical sound recordings, is not an unfound site at all,
but the mp3 category of their Record Collectors Blog may be to some. Several musical clips
interspersed with the narratives Check it out. You may find something appealing.

And for the serious collector of this music and others; this may be the top prize from this site.
A free discography download of Brian Rust's: Jazz Records (Personal-Use Edition, 19171934)

As for a top-notch YouTube channel, featuring 20's & 30's stuff, I really like this one.

Don...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 1 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

QUOTE (Roseman @ Feb 28 2017, 07:33 PM) *
O.K. Fellows, I guess it's just us four.. for now anyway. Maybe more will show up in the near future.
Taking a famous line from the American baseball movie, Field of Dreams; "If you build it. They will come".

Don...

The Board Statistics at the moment show that 59 Guests have been active in the last 15 minutes! They can't all be bots surely?

So a message to any humans lurking out there: Don't be afraid to join in with any questions, suggestions, whatever. The old-timers won't bite!

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 2 2017, 04:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

QUOTE (limden @ Mar 1 2017, 08:00 AM) *
The Board Statistics at the moment show that 59 Guests have been active in the last 15 minutes! They can't all be bots surely?

Limden

I see the same thing too. Somebody or something is dropping by. I'm afraid that there are
just too few of us anymore that still want to use the message board.

And one reason may be that most of the current generation of music seekers don't know
about the board. Dismuke has taken the link to it off his web site and I find no reference
either on his Facebook page.

Does this mean he has no interest in the board? If so why is it still up and running?

Surely with the traffic he receives via Facebook, there are a few people interested in discussing
this music further than just commenting how great the Radio is or how wonderful to hear
some particular song.

Maybe a petition/plea to him to advertise the board would help generate more involvement.

Don...

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 2 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Mar 1 2017, 11:37 PM) *
Maybe a petition/plea to him to advertise the board would help generate more involvement.

Don...

Good idea! Include me in, as Sam Goldwyn might have said. biggrin.gif

A thought occurs to me: back in 2011 Dismuke found it necessary to implement a control measure regulating entry to this board (New Updated Registration Instructions).
Now suppose Dismuke believes the board to be dead. His procedure, which was non-automated, will no longer function. Newcomers will find entry barred and the board will continue as a zombie until the plug is pulled.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 4 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Don

I've sent you a PM

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 10 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hmm... Seems the PM function no longer works.

Come on chaps - post something!

Limden

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:38 PM