Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Message Board, Introduction To Board Features
dismuke
post May 21 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Welcome to my new and much improved message board. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for me to bring over the messages from the old board. However, the vast improvements in the capabilities of the new board over the old one will, I think, make the change very much worth while.

All visitors are able to view all postings on the board. However, in order to post or reply to a message, you will be prompted to go through a simple registration process. The primary reason I am requiring all posters to be registered users is to hopefully eliminate the spam postings that I had to constantly watch for and delete from the old board.

One of the other benefits of being a registered user is, if you find a topic of discussion to be particularly interesting, you can subscribe to it and receive email notification whenever new postings are added to that topic.

The new board also enables threads to be grouped by broader categories.

One of the problems with the old board was the fact that, if someone replied to an old posting, the brand new posting did not appear at the top of the forum. Instead, it only appeared with the original thread - even if that happened to be several pages into the forum. As a result, a reply to an older thread would most likely have been overlooked by most visitors. With the new forum, a reply to an old topic will bring that topic back to the top of the forum.

The new board also has all sorts of options for the way you want your posting to appear. You also have a selection of emoticons to reflect your mood - be it happy smile.gif or otherwise sad.gif or somewhere in between wink.gif And that's a good thing, isn't it? huh.gif

Once you have become a registered user, you have a number of options available to you when you click on "My Controls." If you would like to let other forum members know more about you, you can add additional personal information to your member profile. One of the nice features is that your email address is not displayed to the group (which helps prevent it from getting on spammer lists). However, other members of the group can still send you an email by clicking on your profile and then clicking on the email link. They will be provided with a web form to type their message in and, once they submit it, the message will be forwarded to your email account while still maintaining the confidentiality of your address. If you wish to disable people from being able to send you email even though the web form, you may do so under My Controls. All users are also provided with an inbox on the message board server for personal messages sent by the moderator (that would be me!) or other forum members.

There are a lot of other features as well that I have yet to fully explore.

I hope you enjoy the new message board and that it enables you to find useful and interesting discussions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2021 - 12:30 AM