> Looking for others who enjoy "Sweet" dance band music and Te
Brunswick
post Jan 28 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 679

Hi,

I am looking for others who enjoy sweet dance band recordings from the late 1920's and early 1930's (orchestras with strings such as Nat Shilkret, Bob Haring, Leonard Joy, etc.) and tenor vocalists such as Franklyn Baur, Harold Scrappy Lambert, Frank Munn. All the collectors I have encountered are all enraptured by improvised "jazz" music which I don't care for (I don't for swing as well) and I would like to find someone who is interested in sweet dance music. There must be someone out there... I hope smile.gif I enjoy waltzes from The Regent Club Orchestra and Colonial Club Orchestra but everyone I have talked to dismisses that type of music.

If there is anyone out there with my taste please contact me at BrunswickPanatrope@gmail.com

I would really like to know someone so we can trade (I have 1000s of 78's from this period but ...it is always cheaper and easier to trade with a friend than look for things wink.gif) and discuss this type of music. I have 1000s of 78's from this period.

Thanks and I hope to hear from someone. There must be someone who actually likes "sweet" dance music
and tenor vocal recordings. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jan 28 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

I used to be a total jazz snob, but I've come to appreciate many other recordings from 1900-1940 since my period of "Rust-ication" (i.e., when I would value a recording by its inclusion in the highly arbitrary Jazz Records 1897-1942). Even so, I don't know how many people you'll find who like sweet bands and tenors (Irish or otherwise) to the total exclusion of hot dance, jazz, and swing.

I've been known to play waltzes on my program, and I've played lots of material that jazz purists disdain. Rich Conaty also plays a huge range of pre-1940 pop, and plays more tenors than I do. We both include lots of jazz in our playlists, though.

I think the music you mention ought to be played more, particularly when the arrangements are good. And it may be some comfort to you that the excellent West End Jazz Band of Chicago plays "hot" and "sweet" 1920s and 1930s dance.

The musically-literate public of those days enjoyed a wide selection of music, and the music had to be good gain acceptance. "Jazz" was not just an arcane form in which the musicians frequently outnumber the audience--Paul Whiteman "jazzed" "Pomp and Circumstance" and Cui's "Orientale." As the public stopped buying sheet music for the piano at home and relied more on radio and records for musical entertainment, the quality of what was offered diminished. People who don't know a crotchet from a semi-quaver don't care about all the frilly bits--they just want a good, thumping beat. The emotions don't have to be educated anymore, and excess prevails. (All of which brings us to today.)

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jan 28 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It's all good!

When I'm in a "Sweet" mood, gimme sweet! When I want to get a good arobic workout, give me hot jazz, baby! And if I want to pass out, then gimme a dose of rhythm or swing!!

smile.gif I love it all! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brunswick
post Jan 29 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I like fox-trots as long as they have strings. Shilkret had a knack for arrangement dance music.
The so called "hot sides" that he did all have this classy sound thanks to the use of string instruments.

Unfortunately most "hot jazz" have little or no
string instruments.. and don't have that romantic/classy sound.

I wouldn't discount all modern music. Disco music in the 1970's could be very beautiful
when played by orchestras. For example check out this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yIpmC2YJocc

Sad to think that this type of popular orchestra music is probably gone forever now..

I just love music with strings. The more the better. Leonard Joy's All String Orchestra
was simply heavenly... Unfortunately, he didn't make many records...

I wish strings/violins made a come back in modern music

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jan 29 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Disco? Now you've lost me. I've spent my whole life trying to expunge the 1970s from my memory.

But I agree that strings add variety and richness to an arrangement if used properly. In the late 20s, they created some amazing records (some of which even turn up in Rust) that have a wonderful contrast between different sections. Fred Waring made some wonderful records that offer a perfect balance between hot and sweet. I just got a nice copy of his "When My Dreams Come True" (an Irving Berlin song used in The Cocoanuts) that I've known for 35 years and it's still very moving. And gifted arrangers such as Grofe, Challis, and Satterfield made the Whiteman orchestra great.

+Quote Post
Brunswick
post Jan 29 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I'm not sure why you do like the 1970's but the only music that I can find from the post-1935 era that
is similar to the the dance music of the late 1920's and early 1930's is disco music performed by orchestras.
You don't like "Love's Theme" (1974) by the Love Unlimited Orchestra? I find it to be quite beautiful...

If there's a decade that I would want to expunge from my memory it would be the 1980's when the country
rushed into an electronic music mania that sadly made orchestra music obsolete for popular music...

Here is another beautiful disco dance number by Paul Mauriat and his Orchestra:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pm0KYe2P1lo

smile.gif

QUOTE(Andy Senior @ Jan 29 2008, 09:34 AM) *
Disco? Now you've lost me. I've spent my whole life trying to expunge the 1970s from my memory.

But I agree that strings add variety and richness to an arrangement if used properly. In the late 20s, they created some amazing records (some of which even turn up in Rust) that have a wonderful contrast between different sections. Fred Waring made some wonderful records that offer a perfect balance between hot and sweet. I just got a nice copy of his "When My Dreams Come True" (an Irving Berlin song used in The Cocoanuts) that I've known for 35 years and it's still very moving. And gifted arrangers such as Grofe, Challis, and Satterfield made the Whiteman orchestra great.

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jan 29 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I really can't stand much music that was created after 1940, and everything created in my lifetime (1962 and later) truly gets on my nerves. I single out the 1970s because I spent my miserable teenage years in that deplorable decade. I didn't really start to enjoy myself until 1988 (still hating the current music) and I've been doing wonderfully since I got married eleven years ago (while loathing every scrap of modern music that dribbles out of the radio or thumps out of the passing cars of idiots).

I can see your point about orchestral arrangements vis-a-vis disco and other modern forms, and it's valid. I just can't share your delight in it, because I struggled through those dark years to maintain my own love of 1920s and 1930s music while being ostracized, mocked, ridiculed--and not getting laid. There's good musicianship there, but the wah-wah pedal still sounds false and cheesy to these scarred ears. Barry White is not Paul Whiteman, nor was meant to be.

+Quote Post
matto
post Feb 3 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

QUOTE(Brunswick @ Jan 28 2008, 10:32 PM) *
Unfortunately most "hot jazz" have little or no
string instruments.. and don't have that romantic/classy sound.

I wish strings/violins made a come back in modern music

I too wish strings would make more of a comeback, but I also think hot jazz can be VERY classy.

Take a listen to AT THE PROM by Irving Mills and his Modernists. He features a string section prominently early in this recording. Also many "hot" sides by Paul Whiteman feature strings.

This post has been edited by matto: Feb 3 2008, 02:55 PM

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
matto
post Feb 3 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

I also enjoy sweet and vocal recordings quite a bit, mostly ones from the early 30s...... as these have more complex (as dismuke put, almost symphonic) arrangements. In the early 30s the bands of Jack Denny, Isham Jones, Nat Shilkret, Buddy Rogers, Abe Lyman, Ben Bernie, Eddy Duchin, Fred Waring ... etc .. etc ... made some GREAT recordings . Seger Ellis made some good Brunswick sides in 1931 as did Marion Harris(1929-1931 electric sides) and of course Bing Crosby.

You might have not heard these:

These are what I consider to be the TOP of early 30s music:

Buddy Rogers and his California Cavaliers, from one of my previous guest contributions:

HELLO GORGOUS

YOU FASCINATE ME

Also, Jack Denny had quite a good band:

CLIMBING THE STAIRS

NIGHT

WE WILL ALWAYS BE SWEETHEARTS

And Victor Young:

THE HOUR OF PARTING

Let's not forget Roger Wolfe Kahn:

JUST A LITTLE HOME FOR THE OLD FOLKS

LAZY DAY (one of my favorite songs, by Jack Denny on victor as well as this RWK version,a downright beautiful, symphonic arrangement.)

THERE I GO DREAMING AGAIN

MY SILENT LOVE

SHELTERED BY THE STARS, CRADELED BY THE MOON

A SHINE ON YOUR SHOES

FIT AS A FIDDLE

YOU GOT ME IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

IT DON'T MEAN A THING (my humble opinion, the best version EVER recorded of this song)

DON'T EVER LEAVE ME

What is ironic about these sides is that some great jazz musicians were present, including a young Artie Shaw !

There are many other examples of my "favorite" style of jazz age music, but this is enough.

This post has been edited by matto: Feb 3 2008, 04:08 PM

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
Brunswick
post Feb 3 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thanks for these songs.

I love "The Hour of Parting" smile.gif
Beautiful strings and a classy vocal by Dick Robertson

QUOTE(matto @ Feb 3 2008, 07:25 AM) *
I also enjoy sweet and vocal recordings quite a bit, mostly ones from the early 30s...... as these have more complex (as dismuke put, almost symphonic) arrangements. In the early 30s the bands of Jack Denny, Isham Jones, Nat Shilkret, Buddy Rogers, Abe Lyman, Ben Bernie, Eddy Duchin, Fred Waring ... etc .. etc ... made some GREAT recordings . Seger Ellis made some good Brunswick sides in 1931 as did Marion Harris(1929-1931 electric sides) and of course Bing Crosby.
You might have not heard these:

These are what I consider to be the TOP of early 30s music:

Buddy Rogers and his California Cavaliers, from one of my previous guest contributions:

HELLO GORGOUS

YOU FASCINATE ME

Also, Jack Denny had quite a good band:

CLIMBING THE STAIRS

NIGHT

WE WILL ALWAYS BE SWEETHEARTS

And Victor Young:

THE HOUR OF PARTING

Let's not forget Roger Wolfe Kahn:

JUST A LITTLE HOME FOR THE OLD FOLKS

LAZY DAY (one of my favorite songs, by Jack Denny on victor as well as this RWK version,a downright beautiful, symphonic arrangement.)

THERE I GO DREAMING AGAIN

MY SILENT LOVE

SHELTERED BY THE STARS, CRADELED BY THE MOON

A SHINE ON YOUR SHOES

FIT AS A FIDDLE

YOU GOT ME IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

IT DON'T MEAN A THING (my humble opinion, the best version EVER recorded of this song)

DON'T EVER LEAVE ME
What is ironic about these sides is that some great jazz musicians were present, including a young Artie Shaw !

There are many other examples of my "favorite" style of jazz age music, but this is enough.

+Quote Post
Victor C. Brunsw...
post Feb 4 2008, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 485

My Top 15 sweet dance bands:

1) Jack Denny
2) Bob Haring/Colonial Club Orchestra
3) Roger Wolfe Kahn
4) George Olsen
5) Paul Ash
6) Ray Noble
7) Jack Hylton
8) Nat Shilkret
9) Leo Reisman
10) Marek Weber
11) Ben Selvin
12) Henryk Gold
13) Jean Goldkette
14) Waring's Pennsylvanians
15) Irving Aaronson

+Quote Post
ShellacDale1920-...
post Feb 5 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 685

QUOTE(Brunswick @ Jan 28 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Hi,

I am looking for others who enjoy sweet dance band recordings from the late 1920's and early 1930's (orchestras with strings such as Nat Shilkret, Bob Haring, Leonard Joy, etc.) and tenor vocalists such as Franklyn Baur, Harold Scrappy Lambert, Frank Munn. All the collectors I have encountered are all enraptured by improvised "jazz" music which I don't care for (I don't for swing as well) and I would like to find someone who is interested in sweet dance music. There must be someone out there... I hope smile.gif I enjoy waltzes from The Regent Club Orchestra and Colonial Club Orchestra but everyone I have talked to dismisses that type of music.

If there is anyone out there with my taste please contact me at BrunswickPanatrope@gmail.com

I would really like to know someone so we can trade (I have 1000s of 78's from this period but ...it is always cheaper and easier to trade with a friend than look for things wink.gif) and discuss this type of music. I have 1000s of 78's from this period.
Thanks and I hope to hear from someone. There must be someone who actually likes "sweet" dance music

+Quote Post
ShellacDale1920-...
post Feb 5 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 685

QUOTE(Brunswick @ Jan 28 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Hi,

I like some of the Sweet Music... Particularly those "Second-Soprano pitched" Crooners like Orlando Robeson. My favorite of his at present is the Ben Selvin recording of "You Call it Madness". It's kind of unusual to me (that I LIKE it) in that I'm a retired classic rocker that should think that crooning like this is CORNBALL or MUSHY. Quite the contrary... He makes me want to cry! I'm also hooked on recordings mostly from the 1930-31 era that are titled "____ing in the ____" Example: Swinging in a Hammock, Whistling in the Dark. Does anyone have a decent "clean" recording of "Singing in the Bathtub"?
I love that one. I sometimes think maybe I was reincarnated from someone that lived back then... I like Big Band, but to a much lesser degree than jazz. Big Band nowadays seems to be a bit aggressive!

+Quote Post
laughland
post Feb 5 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE(ShellacDale1920-33 @ Feb 4 2008, 06:28 PM) *
I'm also hooked on recordings mostly from the 1930-31 era that are titled "____ing in the ____" Example: Swinging in a Hammock, Whistling in the Dark. Does anyone have a decent "clean" recording of "Singing in the Bathtub"?
I love that one.

How about The High Hatters with Singin' In The Bathtub ?

And for something different there's always the first Looney Tunes ever made - Sinkin' In The Bathtub...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2020 - 04:29 PM