Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question
20s30smusicfan
post Jan 6 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 555

put up mp3 downloads of the music and the rare commericals. keep changing them every month. lots of site do this now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jan 7 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE(20s30smusicfan @ Jan 6 2008, 05:40 PM) *
put up mp3 downloads of the music and the rare commericals. keep changing them every month. lots of site do this now.

Hi 20s30smusicfan,

Have you visited Dismuke's HOTW? He adds some new selections with each update so every month we get several new recordings to enjoy. And the old ones are kept available. The only thing you might not like is that those files are real audio format so you have to convert it into an mp3.

Also it is not unusual to see various members of this board offer other mp3 files informally in the threads. tongue.gif

Is that what you had in mind?

--------------------

+Quote Post
20s30smusicfan
post Jan 8 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #3

all i want is the old commericals and ids for weaf. im more intrested in those than anything. not 40s-60s but 20s and 30s ones only. can anyone help me get copies of these in mp3 please?

+Quote Post
Terry
post Jan 8 2008, 04:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

You could have a look at these two sites, though there wont be many 1920s ads.

http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/old_radio_commercials/

http://www.otrcat.com/commercials-p-2137.html

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jan 8 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As a matter of policy, it is simply not possible for me to comply with requests for mp3 files. There are a number of reasons for this. Foremost is the fact that if it got out that I was doing so, I would be flooded with requests. I am already way too stretched in terms of time and projects to do something like that. I once received an email from a person who had the nerve to send me a long, long list of songs that he didn't have and couldn't find on my website and told me where I could send the mp3 files to him at. Yeah. Right. I am going to devote the better part of a weekend to digging through my collection searching for recordings I may or may not have and then take the time to transcribe them and restore them because some impolite stranger on the Internet wants me to. And, no doubt, had I done so, he probably would have nit-picked my audio restoration results and demanded that I do them all over. Now, the vast majority of requests I get are very polite and respectful of my time. In many cases, people offer to compensate me. I am afraid that even then I still cannot do it.

If you are looking for vintage recordings, the single best source I can refer you to is Worlds Records at www.worldsrecords.com That website has a search engine that allows you to search their catalog by song title or artist. There are also several very, very good reissue labels out there such as Rivermount, Jazz Oracle, Timeless and others that specialize in 1920s and 1930s music - and those labels are NOT associated with the RIAA so, with them, your money is not going to go into the pockets of those who are seeking to effectively outlaw Internet radio and make it difficult for people to discover niche genres. Instead, your money would be supporting labor of love efforts to preserve the music and bring it to a wider audience.

As for the Real Audio files - back when I started the site, Real Audio was the preferred standard on the Internet. Back then, almost everyone, including myself, had dial up connections. Real Audio allowed people to stream music instantly instead of waiting 4 or 5 minutes for a song to download before it played. The purpose of my online efforts has always been to bring the music to a wider audience and the need to wait a few minutes before sampling a song is an obstacle towards that end. Converting the entire website to a new format - well, that would be a HUGE project and very time consuming. I don't have that kind of time and if I did there are other projects that I can think of that would make more productive use of it. I may or may not someday start posting new files on the site in mp3 format which would be compatible with the existing audio players that people currently use to listen. But if I ever do so, I would set them up in such a way that the files would be stream only and would NOT be downloadable. I guarantee you that is NOT what people have in mind when they ask for the files to be put up in mp3 format. The purpose of my site and efforts is to expose the music to new audiences - NOT to be a free mp3 download service for existing fans. And I am certainly not going to jeopardize the first in order to accommodate people's desire for me to be the latter. If it were possible for me to be both - well, of course that would be great. But it is not possible.

I - and most other record collectors for that matter - am always willing to help movie production companies and reissue labels who are needing assistance or particular recordings. But that is an effort that is consistent with my aim of exposing the music to a wider audience.

As for the old station IDs and vintage commercials - well, I will be candid in that is not something I even want to be able to make available. Without going into detail, putting those files together is a LOT of work and is VERY time consuming. I can digitalize and restore an entire 78 rpm side in much less time than it takes me to put together an audio file of a 10 second vintage station ID. So I should just make them available to any random stranger who comes along and asks for them? How do I know that the other person is not someone who wishes to insert them into his Internet radio stream? If someone else wishes to program a stream that uses the same songs and music styles as I do - well, wonderful. But why should I go through all that work and spend all that time to provide little "extras" which hopefully make the stream more unique and interesting so that someone else can provide them without having to go through any more effort than simply asking me to fork over the files? No offense 20s30smusicfan, but I have no idea who you are. You probably are a wonderful person who I would enjoy knowing if we lived in the same area and I knew in person. But I have no way of knowing that for sure. As Terry points out, there are a LOT of sources online where you can get old time radio programs for VERY little money. Last I checked, the going rate was something like 5 cents per half hour program. The material is out there - it is just a matter of taking the time to find it amongst all the clutter. And you can find free versions of software programs that will enable you to edit and create the audio files.

When I get the time, I will incorporate some of the above points into a more formal policy statement which I will post on my websites. Bottom line is I cannot be all things to all people - and anyone who even tries is a fool and will only get grief in return. The best way to avoid opening a can of worms is to keep the can's seal on tightly to begin with. Please understand that when listeners ask me to send them mp3 files, it puts me in a very awkward position in several respects.

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Jan 9 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

QUOTE(20s30smusicfan @ Jan 6 2008, 06:40 PM) *

Here's a site that offers some soundbyes of commercials from the 20's and 30's. The pictorial and narrative presentation is done exceedingly well. Each page has at least one commercial and is indicated by a small red icon.

+Quote Post
20s30smusicfan
post Jan 10 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #7

i wish i knew you personally too dismuke. id love to see your collection. do any 30s radio transcrpitions exist or are they just 40s only? maybe someday i might get to meet you.
i understand fully. are the commericals from transcrpitions if they are i can probily find them since so many are availble now. i just wish they would locate more orphan annie ones.

+Quote Post
matto
post Jan 11 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

QUOTE(20s30smusicfan @ Jan 10 2008, 11:11 AM) *
i wish i knew you personally too dismuke. id love to see your collection. do any 30s radio transcrpitions exist or are they just 40s only? maybe someday i might get to meet you.
i understand fully. are the commericals from transcrpitions if they are i can probily find them since so many are availble now. i just wish they would locate more orphan annie ones.

If you want to hear old radio transcriptions, might I suggest Dismuke's Hit Of The Week.

Some time ago I posted some up as a guest contributor.

Click HERE to listen. While you are at it, do a search of the HOW site, for the updates that were posted January 2006 -May 2006 . You will find several there.

Also,
This is a SET of old 1930's Transco Coconut Grove broadcasts..... a bargain for a 10 cd set...... 39.95.....

This post has been edited by matto: Jan 11 2008, 03:34 PM

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
bob
post Jan 11 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(matto @ Jan 11 2008, 08:32 AM) *
Also,
This is a SET of old 1930's Transco Coconut Grove broadcasts..... a bargain for a 10 cd set...... 39.95.....

Thanks Matto. I just ordered it. Will make a nice addition to the couple of Cds that I have from the Coconut Grove. Just love Loyce Whiteman. rolleyes.gif

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
matto
post Jan 12 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bob @ Jan 11 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Thanks Matto. I just ordered it. Will make a nice addition to the couple of Cds that I have from the Coconut Grove. Just love Loyce Whiteman. rolleyes.gif

smile.gif Bob

Yes, She was a beautiful, classy dame and a great singer to boot !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
matto
post Jan 12 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

My favorite of THE GROVE gal singers of the 30s is GoGo DeLys ....... Don't know much about her other than she recorded Second Hand Heart with JIMMIE GRIER & HIS ORCHESTRA in 1932 for Victor.

-and-

The Jimmie Grier cd, Echoes of the Cocoanut Grove from Take Two records features a great vocal by her as well...

Victor 24175 by JIMMIE GRIER & HIS ORCH is well worth seeking out as well as the Take Two Jimmie Grier CD, which is available on Amazon.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jan 13 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(20s30smusicfan @ Jan 10 2008, 11:11 AM) *
do any 30s radio transcrpitions exist or are they just 40s only?

While there are recordings of radio broadcasts that go back as far as the late 1920s, surviving broadcasts prior to 1935 are rare with the further you go back before that date the harder they are to find.

1935 is when things started to change as a result of improved technologies that made it easier and more practical to make back up copies of network radio programs.

A good source of information about the surviving early broadcasts can be found at:
http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/earlyradio.html

Keep in mind that most network broadcasts were done live - indeed NBC prohibited "canned" programing over its network all the way up through 1949. One of the reasons Bing Crosby switched to the then new ABC (former NBC Blue) network in the mid 1940s despite its lower ratings and less desirable station line-up was because they were willing to allow him to pre-record his broadcasts which gave him much greater scheduling flexibility for the rest of his endeavors and interests. The fact that network radio was live meant that the commercials were delivered live as well. So, unlike today, there were no ad campaigns where the same high budget commercial would air across all networks and independent stations.

Here is an interesting article about the prohibition against transcribed broadcasts on the networks:

http://community.mcckc.edu/crosby/transcrib.htm

There were transcribed radio programs - but these were mostly distributed to independent stations not affiliated with the major networks. In many cases, these programs devoted a great deal of air time to commercial messages as that was the entire point. For example, the Crazy Water Company in Mineral Wells put out a variety of 15 minute musical programs - some with dance bands, others directed at the so-called "hillbilly" market (today known as country) - which were usually recorded at their studios in the Crazy Water Hotel. These programs mixed music with humorous messages about the marvels of Crazy products. These broadcasts were recorded to disc and then distributed to radio stations around the country. The stations benefited as they didn't have to hire someone local to fill in that time slot and the company benefited by the commercial exposure.

This brings up another element in vintage commercials. When radio got its start in the 1920s, commercial announcements were originally illegal. Obviously someone had to pay for the cost of broadcasting so station owners and networks got around that restriction by naming programs after their commercial sponsors. Thus some of the very early network programs had names such as "The Ipana Troubadours" or "The A&P Gypsies" or "The Clicquot Club Eskimos" and others. When the restrictions against commercial advertising was eventually lifted, the practice of naming programs after corporate sponsors continued for a good many years. For example, people today think of the Edgar Bergan/Charlie McCarthy program - but it was really The Chase & Sanborn Hour.

Even after the prohibition against advertising was lifted and American radio became very commercial, it was very common for the advertising to be incorporated into the program itself. A good example of this is the old Burns & Allen broadcasts where the sponsor's message would often be written into the script of whatever was going on, usually in a humorous manner (their program went through a number of sponsors over the years so it was more so with some than with others). That practice has all but died out today - though they do sell "product placement" where certain brands of products are used in a movie or television show instead of a competitor's product. Interestingly enough, there is some talk about it coming back in order to counter people recording shows for later viewing using technology that enables them to skip over the commercials. Incorporating commercials into the programs themselves would be one way of preventing people from opting out of the commercials. And, one of the reasons the networks are really starting to warm up to making programs available for streaming online is because people who stream programs generally sit through the commercials.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:54 AM