Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Play MP3's on your Component System
Roseman
post Apr 19 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

For those of us that grew up during the HiFi / Stereo evolution (1950's) and still like listening to music on our big component systems vice earbuds or earphones and would like to play those mp3 downloads there also, here's a simple and cheap solution.

You will need the following:

1 MP3 Player (Unless you want one with lots of storage, a simpe 1GB should suffice). Here's one I got at HH Gregg for $20.00. It has ID3 tag displays, Song Artist, Title and Album, Stereo EQ Settings, Bass Boost, and USB cable to connect to you PC for file transfer. Simple to use, plug into an usb port then drag and drop files.

1 Extension Cable - 20 ft. 1/8" Jack to 1/8" Plug to connect to your MP3. This allows you to sit in your favoite listening chair and enjoy the music. ($8.99)

1 Adapter Cable- Two RCA Plugs to 1/8" Plug to connect the MP3 player to an Aux i/p on your component. ($6.99)

I found both cables at Radio Shack.

I also have a wireless system I use to play music from pc upstairs to my stereo downstairs, but the above setup gives me another option.

I've been well pleased with my setup and the player works really easy and the sound is great.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Apr 19 2008, 01:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 23 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

The best computer-related investment I ever made was the cable to connect my laptop to my, until recently little-used, 1980s music centre (do Americans know the term "music centre"? It means, or meant, a component system where all the components come from one manufacturer and are purchased together. It's out of fashion here in the UK anyway). The sound quality with 1920s and 1930s-derived material is really excellent.

But I don't listen to mp3s so much anymore, I find I'm increasingly drawn to .flvs downloaded from YouTube. Variable quality but some are minor works of art with images skilfully chosen to complement the music. If you haven't already done so take a look at the YouTube channels of jurek46pink, 240252, kspm01 and, of course, our fellow Dismuker Aaron2006 who is Aaron1912 on YouTube.

Limden

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Apr 25 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

[quote name='limden' date='Apr 23 2008, 12:40 PM' post='9563']
The best computer-related investment I ever made was the cable to connect my laptop to my, until recently little-used, 1980s music centre (do Americans know the term "music centre"?
I know what a Stereo-Gram is and what a Wireless is but have never heard of a Music Centre.I presume it has both a wireless and a stereo-gram in it.
Cheers from Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 25 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Hi Jerry

I suspected "music centre" might be a UK English term. To give you an idea, there's one somewhat similar to mine currently for sale on (UK) eBay: item number 320243643916 at:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/music-centre_W0QQite...1QQcmdZViewItem

Typically of basic to middle-of-the-road quality, music centres were never highly regarded by audio enthusiasts and are now utterly unfashionable. An antique of the future perhaps? It appeals to my thrifty nature to have put this out-dated junk back into useful service simply by adding an adapter cable like the one mentioned by Don above, but 3 metres long, between laptop and music centre amplifier.

Limden

This post has been edited by limden: Apr 25 2008, 10:00 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 11:44 AM