Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thou Swell (A rare fisrt take), By Bix Beiderbeke and his Gang - 1928
cristian1929
post Aug 11 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 496

Hello friends, I want to share with you a very strange recording, this is an alternative take (1) as a rehearsal of the work "Thou Swell" recorded by Bix Beiderbecke and his Gang. The next take (2) is knows for all us.

Thou Swell (Take 1)
Recorded 17 April 1928

Thou Swell (Take 2)
Recorded 17 April 1928

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by cristian1929: Aug 11 2009, 10:31 PM

--------------------
Cristian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laughland
post Aug 12 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

This is very interesting! I hadn't realized there was this second version available.

Thanks for sharing it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Terry
post Aug 12 2009, 01:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Interesting where you came by that record Cristian.

Bixophiles more knowledgeable than me can explain more, but from what I understand a 12" test pressing of take A,and having a test groove, matrix number W 400617-A and which was rejected and never issued, was discovered by Tom Pletcher.

That take together with the test groove as a separate track has been issued on CD8 of Volume 3 of 'Bix Restored' along with take C, W 400617-C

http://bixbeiderbecke.com/reviewbixrestored.doc

A discussion about Thou Swell is in the BixBeiderbecke.com forum archives:

http://ms.cc.sunysb.edu/~alhaim/archivesforum.htm To find the entries search for Thou Swell from the browser Edit-Find.

If you have another test pressing it may be incredibly rare and valuable.

Edit. I've had another listen to the test groove on your recording and that on Bix Restored, I think (only think) they are the same.

There was also a rejected take B, W 400617-B, I wonder if any test pressings for that exist ?

Edit again, I am getting excited over this smile.gif

This post has been edited by Terry: Aug 12 2009, 01:22 AM

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Aug 12 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

OMG... that clarinet! Yuck!!

You mean the first take is the one they used?!!

Still that clarinet part is not good to me at all!! It's like that part was written for a section, not one instrument...

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Aug 12 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I don't think that take 1 was used.

But take 2 sounds like the version I've heard before (the same as what you can hear at redhotjazz) http://www.redhotjazz.com/bixgang.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Terry
post Aug 12 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Cristians' Take 2 is actually Take C, the version which was issued and which is on RHJ and the "usual" version heard on CDs and LPs.

Take A which was rejected, is most likely Cristians Take 1, but just possibly (edit: I mean cristians take 1) could be a as yet undiscovered test pressing of Take B which was also rejected.

I've played the Take A version on CD and Cristians Take 1, and tried to compare them, I'm almost sure they are the same, but the speed is slightly higher on the CD, and the tone is brighter.

I am hopping up and down waiting for Cristian to come back and tell us the details about the take 1 record smile.gif

Edit again: I've just emailed Albert Haim at bixbeiderbecke.com I suggested we need to get the expert bixophiles in on this to do listening tests.

This post has been edited by Terry: Aug 12 2009, 02:31 AM

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Aug 12 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Yeah... "take 2" sounds like a better version of these two. I don't think they would have left the little mess-up and the counting down at the beginning back then! That would have been edited out.

Does anyone else not like that clarinet part?

--------------------

+Quote Post
hvickery
post Aug 12 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 482

I think the clarinet is played by Don Murray. (I don't have the personnel list right now.) I think it's much better in the released take than in the test pressing. He is off pitch and misses a few notes in the head.

--------------------
Hal Vickery

+Quote Post
cristian1929
post Aug 12 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Terry @ Aug 11 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Cristians' Take 2 is actually Take C, the version which was issued and which is on RHJ and the "usual" version heard on CDs and LPs.

Take A which was rejected, is most likely Cristians Take 1, but just possibly (edit: I mean cristians take 1) could be a as yet undiscovered test pressing of Take B which was also rejected.

I've played the Take A version on CD and Cristians Take 1, and tried to compare them, I'm almost sure they are the same, but the speed is slightly higher on the CD, and the tone is brighter.

I am hopping up and down waiting for Cristian to come back and tell us the details about the take 1 record smile.gif

Edit again: I've just emailed Albert Haim at bixbeiderbecke.com I suggested we need to get the expert bixophiles in on this to do listening tests.

Today about this topic, Albert Haim sent me the following notes:

"What you call takes 1 and 2 are probably takes A and C. Three takes of "Thou Swell" were waxed on April 17, 1928. Take A survived as a test pressing, found by Tom Pletcher in the 1970s. The test pressing found by Pletcher was first released in the LP Wolverine3, "With A Box To Bix" in 1978. Tom sold his copy on ebay earlier this year. It was purchased by Hans Eekhoff. He uploaded a restored version of the test pressing in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnW8C8HeQs

Take B has never been found. Take C was issued on May 25, 1928 as OKeh 41030.
"""

--------------------
Cristian

+Quote Post
Terry
post Aug 12 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

So, Cristian, the suspense is killing, what is the source of your Take 1?

Is it indeed the Eekhof recording on YouTube, or do you have a 78rpm record ?

Please tell us smile.gif

+Quote Post
cristian1929
post Aug 12 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Terry @ Aug 12 2009, 04:43 PM) *
So, Cristian, the suspense is killing, what is the source of your Take 1?

Is it indeed the Eekhof recording on YouTube, or do you have a 78rpm record ?

Please tell us smile.gif

Friends, this recording takes 1 was rescue from open reel tapes of my father, dating from the beginning of the 80 (1981) This tape contains a series of rares recordings of 78 rpm sent by a friend of his from England, data in the box only shows the title, recording date, duration and in some cases catalogue number.
I think that the author of the tape could have had a copy of the original matrix, as in England Okeh recordings were pressed by Parlaphone records.
In addition most of the records were transferred Portoblle Street bought, hence the name of the tape "Portobello St Jazz Rare Recordings From 20s and 30s"
I hope I have clarified this mystery so simple.

Later, they send most of the tape recordings. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Cristian

+Quote Post
Terry
post Aug 13 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Thank you so much Cristian. One mystery is solved, yet it opens another smile.gif As Albert mentioned in his email, Take A was first released on LP in 1978, from the actual record which is on YouTube, so the LP is likely to be the source used to produce the tapes sent to your father. There is the faint possibility though , of the existence of another test pressing somewhere in England.

This post has been edited by Terry: Aug 13 2009, 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
matto
post Aug 15 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

There is a distinct possibility that an alternate take was issued on British or continental European Parlophone, as British labels often issued different takes than American issues. It is also possible that a different take was used on British Parlophone reissues of the late 1930s and 1940s.

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 12:25 AM