Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hit Of The Week availability
satie's chord
post Mar 23 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Hello Friends.....just a question about the cardboard Hit Of The Week records. Were they ever dispensed within magazines? Or just for subscriptions? On the back of some of my HOTW's, there is a mention of Liberty magazine, also a weekly publication. I've been searching for some Liberty magazines( or maybe another periodical from the time period) that might have the record attached. Am I wasting my time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Mar 23 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I can't imagine anyone getting a magazine with a record in it--AND NOT PLAYING IT!!!

I'd say that it's a very very rare situation that the magazine would still be attached to the magazine if it was there!

I mean... think about it... can you pass up a free dose of colone when it's packaged in a magazine?!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hvickery
post Mar 24 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 482

As far as I know, HOTW Records were sold at newsstands separately from any other publications. Hans Koert (who posts regularly here) has an excellent history of HOTW on his web site: Link.

--------------------
Hal Vickery

+Quote Post
Gart
post Mar 26 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Speaking of Hit of the Week, it's been a relatively long time since our leader Dismuke has put up a new set on Hit of the Week? I signed up for an e-mail when they get posted, but haven't received any. Is it because you just haven't had time?

Another topic: Any fans of Bernie Cummins with music to share? I see on Jazz on Line, it has only two recordings.

Also (might as well press my luck) Christian a while back posted a Savoy Orpheans medley that included "It Made You Happy When You Made Me Cry." I love this song! Does anyone have the Savoy Orpehans version of it alone or by any other orchestra.

Thanks. Gart

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 26 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Gart, Google finds a 1926 rendering of "It Made You Happy When You Made Me Cry" by Esther Walker at:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhoPB1xMVc

and the Internet Archive has a Paul Specht version at :-

http://www.archive.org/details/PaulSpechtOrchestra-21-30

limden

This post has been edited by limden: Mar 26 2009, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 30 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

If you go to JOL and enter It Made You Happy in the search box, you'll find three more version of this song.

This is an outstanding song by the great Walter Donaldson, a tunesmith that composed so many songs we all know and enjoy. The bands that pitched this music owed their existance to writers like him. New songs to play and record was life for them.

Some of his more famous compositions are: My Blue Heaven - Makin' Whoopee - How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down On The Farm - Carolina In The Morning - You're Driving Me Crazy - My Mammy - Little White Lies

Some that may not be as familiar as those above, but still live on as outstanding pieces of work are these listed below. Here's a playlist to sample tks to Jazz-On-Line. Enjoy. WDS

Just The Same (1927) -- Roger Wolfe Kahn & His Orch
Sweet Jennie Lee (1930) -- Isham Jones And His Orch
Just Like A Melody Out Of The Sky (1928) -- George Olsen & His Music
Just Once Again (1927) -- Paul Whiteman & His Orch
Out Of The Dawn (1928) -- Nat Shilkret & Victor Orch
Thinking Of You (1927) -- Nat Shilkret & Victor Orch
That's What I Like About You (1931) -- Jack Teagarden & His Orch
Because My Baby Don't Mean Maybe Now (1928) -- George Olsen & His Music

For Bernie Cummings...
The 'Internet Archives' has a few to share....

Don...

+Quote Post
Gart
post Apr 7 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Limden, Don,

Thank you!

Limden--probably Esther Walker's version is the way the song should be sung--sad! What a gorgeous woman!

But the Paul Specht version with Johnnie Morris on vocal is a '10.' So peppy and alive and great recording.

Don--thanks again for all your help and leads. I plan to look them all up on either Jazz on Line or the Red Hot Jazz site.

You guys are terrific. This is a great group. Thanks!!!

Gart in Oakland

p.s. Don--think NC is a shoo-in! (Just peeked at the NYT--they won!!)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2021 - 04:17 AM