Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Al Bowlly, - the almost complete collection
limden
post Mar 29 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Seems too good to be true, so there might be a catch yet to emerge, but an almost complete collection of Al Bowlly's work as mp3s is promised in the March 28 posts here . And all for free!!

I've succeeded in downloading the first two volumes, 1 and 50, but haven't yet had time to thoroughly check them out.

Is it conceivable that copyright-holders to some of the CDs which Randy Skretvedt has used might emerge and put a stop to this wonderful enterprise?

Limden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bob
post Mar 30 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

Nice find. Good quality recordings at 128kbs. 48 downloads to go. cool.gif

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
laughland
post Mar 31 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

This does look very interesting. I hope the volumes keep coming.

Hmm... is this right - the final song Al recorded was called When That Man Is Dead And Gone ? huh.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tip Limden!

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 31 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (laughland @ Mar 30 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Hmm... is this right - the final song Al recorded was called When That Man Is Dead And Gone ? huh.gif

Indeed it's right laughland. It was That Man (Adolf Hitler for the benefit of the younger generation with a shaky grasp of history) whose Luftwaffe dropped the parachute mine which killed Al just a couple of weeks later.

By the way, Randy Skretvedt is now proposing to release one volume each Monday instead of two each fortnight. He said earlier that each would be available only for a couple of weeks. I'm determined to collect the whole lot but, being somewhat unmethodical, I might fail.

I found the free Rapidshare option to be perfectly satisfactory for downloading, with a 6 Mbps broadband (ADSL) connection taking about 6 or 7 minutes each volume in the background meanwhile reading other webpages.

Randy has created the most amazing free resource ever for Bowlly fans so get downloading Dismukers! biggrin.gif

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 2 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Somehow I'd imagined this thread might have aroused a bit more excitement among Dismukers. Perhaps Bowlly adulation is more a British thing?

A little sooner than expected, Randy has just issued volume 49 and it can be downloaded here . It took longer to download than the earlier two for some reason, about 12 minutes with the free RapidShare option but no problem.

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden

+Quote Post
bob
post Apr 3 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 2 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Somehow I'd imagined this thread might have aroused a bit more excitement among Dismukers. Perhaps Bowlly adulation is more a British thing?

A little sooner than expected, Randy has just issued volume 49 and it can be downloaded here . It took longer to download than the earlier two for some reason, about 12 minutes with the free RapidShare option but no problem.

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden

Thanks Limden. I must have picked the right time of the day. It took me right at three minutes at a download transfer rate of around 325KB/S. Are you going to continue to provide the download link here at Dismuke's site as the files become available? That would be great if you do.

Thanks again.....Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 3 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (bob @ Apr 2 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Are you going to continue to provide the download link here at Dismuke's site as the files become available? That would be great if you do.

I'll certainly try Bob but the best option would be for Bowlly fans to head over to the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group from time to time in order to check out the recent messages. Click on Message History and Randy Skretvedt's first announcement can be found at message 5363 on March 28 following which there are posts with some useful discussion.

To recapitulate, here are links to the volumes released so far:-

Volume 1

Volume 50

Volume 49

I've been critical of it in the past but surely an excellent destination for Randy's magnificent opus would be the Internet Archive ?

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 10 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Randy Skretvedt's latest message on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group:-

Volumes 1 and 50 of the Bowlly project will be taken down on Monday [April 12]. Volume 48
will be going up. Volume 49 will remain available for one more week.

Limden

+Quote Post
Terry
post Apr 12 2010, 04:04 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 2 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden

Many thanks Limden, I did indeed get quite excited, but in a silent reserved English style.................smile.gif

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 12 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Terry @ Apr 11 2010, 11:04 PM) *
a silent reserved English style.................smile.gif

Just one of the qualities that are getting hard to find in the present-day UK together with the "stiff upper lip", "an Englishman's word is his bond" and others I've forgotten. Look at the Daily Mail from time to time and you'll be happy you're in New Zealand sad.gif .

Anyway here's Volume 48

I'm sure Randy knows exactly what he's doing but I'm a bit puzzled why, after putting in so much effort, he is taking down each volume after the relatively short time of a couple of weeks. There must be a reason but it's escaping me. The whole enterprise merits archiving.

Limden

+Quote Post
bob
post Apr 13 2010, 04:15 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 12 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Anyway here's Volume 48

I'm sure Randy knows exactly what he's doing but I'm a bit puzzled why, after putting in so much effort, he is taking down each volume after the relatively short time of a couple of weeks. There must be a reason but it's escaping me. The whole enterprise merits archiving.

Limden

Thanks. Got the download. Maybe it's a problem of having enough storage space for all fifty volumes on his web site.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
charlie
post Apr 13 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 519

QUOTE (bob @ Apr 13 2010, 05:15 AM) *
Thanks. Got the download. Maybe it's a problem of having enough storage space for all fifty volumes on his web site.

smile.gif Bob . Could anyone walk me through the process of downloading Als music. I am not familiar with computers. I have subscribed to Rapid share and am a premium member would be most thankful if anyone could find the time. In advance, thanks.

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 13 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Hello charlie. I'm pleased to see another Bowlly enthusiast appearing among the Dismukers smile.gif .

Now in principle I'd be happy to help you download Randy Skretvedt's volumes but previous experiences on this message board have taught me that computer tuition is not my strong point. I know that there are others more skilled in that art than myself, in fact I'm thinking of one member in particular but unfortunately we haven't seen him here for the last few weeks. I'm hoping that someone will be along shortly but meanwhile could you tell us a bit about your computer set-up: is it Windows (and XP or Vista or 7?) or is it a Mac?

While waiting, why not simply try to have a go? It's by trying to do things, failing and trying again and again that I have developed the limited computer skills I now have. There's nothing to lose and nothing to break!

I haven't yet found it necessary to pay anything to Rapidshare, the free option works perfectly well for me so far. A bit slow perhaps but that doesn't matter as the downloading can go on in the background while doing something else.

Limden

+Quote Post
charlie
post Apr 13 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 519

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 13 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Hello charlie. I'm pleased to see another Bowlly enthusiast appearing among the Dismukers smile.gif .

Now in principle I'd be happy to help you download Randy Skretvedt's volumes but previous experiences on this message board have taught me that computer tuition is not my strong point. I know that there are others more skilled in that art than myself, in fact I'm thinking of one member in particular but unfortunately we haven't seen him here for the last few weeks. I'm hoping that someone will be along shortly but meanwhile could you tell us a bit about your computer set-up: is it Windows (and XP or Vista or 7?) or is it a Mac?

While waiting, why not simply try to have a go? It's by trying to do things, failing and trying again and again that I have developed the limited computer skills I now have. There's nothing to lose and nothing to break!

I haven't yet found it necessary to pay anything to Rapidshare, the free option works perfectly well for me so far. A bit slow perhaps but that doesn't matter as the downloading can go on in the background while doing something else.

Limden

Hi! Limden: Thanks for your quick response to my appeal for assistance: I might tell you that I have read your postings with regularity and interest since you first came on the Dismukes Board. I'm using Windows XP but anything else that would be helpful to you, you would have to tell me were to find it. I'm hoping your more knowledgable personage shows upwith my solution . In the meantime,any help you may provide is greatly appreciated. With every good wish. Charlie

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 14 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (charlie @ Apr 13 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I might tell you that I have read your postings with regularity and interest since you first came on the Dismukes Board.

Flattery will get you anywhere! biggrin.gif

OK, so here's two descriptions:-

First, Randy Skretvedt's own advice is here . To which I'd only add that you won't need a compressor/expander program(me) such as stuffit because Windows XP includes the necessary already. Just double-click on the downloaded zip file to unzip it.

Second, here's my method (with XP and Opera browser, other browsers will be similar) written before I remembered Randy's description.

Go to "My Music" then File>New>Folder.

Right-click on the New Folder which has appeared in My Music, select Rename and type in a new name such as Bowlly 49 for example.

Click on Randy's link for Volume 49 and then obviously you'll click on the paid-for option to download. Then Save>Save as and I expect you'll see My Music among the destinations. Double-click on My Music and Bowlly 49 should appear. Select it and Save again and downloading to Bowlly 49 starts. It will take anything from a minute or two with a fast machine and fast connection up to several hours if you have a slow dial-up connection.

When downloading is complete you'll find a zip file in folder Bowlly 49. Double-click on it and mp3s appear but you'll still need to click "Extract all files" in Folder tasks to complete.

You'll find that there's also a file Bowllys 49.doc containing documentation about the recordings and another file which I don't understand and ignore. Possibly you'll be unable to open Bowllys 49.doc in which case you'll need to download and install a suitable word-processor programme. Don't buy Word (expensive), choose free OpenOffice.

Repeat for Volume 48 and the 46(!) volumes which are to follow.

There, I've again made a simple task look very complicated but I hope it helps. Let us know how you get on.

Limden

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 08:43 PM