IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are there any 1920's titles you just DO NOT LIKE?
MJJ
post May 25 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

And, "Barnacle Bill" also features a great solo from Bix Beiderbecke after the first vocal chorus.

--------------------
===================
"The Payne Place": http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 25 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I love that song! It's one that I know I have in my 78 collection!

Love,
Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
80rpm
post May 26 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 453

I'm new to this site so I do not know exactly what to do but here goes, I tend not to like waltzs

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post May 26 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

Welcome to the site 80RPM! Thanks for gracing the subject I started awhile back with your first post! Hopefully the first of many in all categories!

QUOTE(80rpm @ May 25 2006, 06:41 PM)
I tend not to like waltzs

You and probably 99.9% of the other members. Somehow jazz just doesn't seem to come across very convincingly in 3/4 time...

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post May 26 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Welcome to the board 80rpm. Don't worry about not knowing quite what to do. A lot of us don't know what we're doing either. It comes in time, so just keep posting and you will get the hang of it.

I happen to be in the minority apparently, as I love waltzes. Each to his own, I guess.

Flapper Girl

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post May 26 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(Flapper Girl @ May 26 2006, 07:30 AM)
I happen to be in the minority apparently, as I love waltzes.  Each to his own, I guess.

Flapper Girl

Flapper Girl!

I'm going to dedicate this selection to your enjoyment--if it didn't already have a title, it would be called "The Waltz that Changed My Mind about Waltzes". I was at my fellow collector friend's house in West a couple of years ago and he was playing an old tape of Jean Goldkette records when this song came on and I was transfixed about how beautiful it is: Hush-a-Bye.

Here's another I've developed a real affinity for--it's the electrically recorded version of Paul Whiteman's Three O'Clock in the Morning

Enjoy!

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
80rpm
post May 27 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 453

Okay, Waltzs are not all bad. I have about 10,000 pre swing records in my collection and can point to one side as my least favorite. Although Lee Morse is one of my favorite singers I can't stand her recording of "Lee's Lullaby", Pathé 032102B. This is guaranteed to put you to sleep. (Come to think of it, that's what a Lullaby is suppose to do). The flip side is "All Alone" a great Irving Berlin song.

+Quote Post
Jarred
post May 27 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

I guess Edgar Sampson's "Lullaby In Rhythm" from the swing era is somewhat inappropriately titled!

--------------------
You can't handle the truthiness!

+Quote Post
Ian House
post May 27 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(80rpm @ May 27 2006, 10:03 AM)
Although Lee Morse is one of my favorite singers I can't stand her recording of "Lee's Lullaby", Pathé 032102B. 

Hi 80,

A belated welcome to the board!

I am also a big fan of Lee Morse ... but she was a MUCH better singer than she was a songwriter (I just faint when I hear that mezzo soprano :-). However, her writing style tended to be very repetitive and, sometimes, even dreary. To be fair, she did write quite a number of solid winners, but that repetitive quality seems to dominate throughout most of her own work... I forgive "Lee's Lullaby" for being slow and repetitive because of its historical importance; It's Lee's most personal composition and is simply drenched with valuable lyrics -one of our only sources of biographical info ...but, agreed, it's not one to dance to...

--------------------

+Quote Post
birdible
post May 28 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

QUOTE(Fredrik @ May 9 2006, 06:00 AM)
I do not actively dislike them, but sometimes I get a bit tired of all those peppy 6/8 one-steps such as "C-O-N-S-T-A-N-T-I-N-O-P-L-E", "The Stein Song" and "Collegiate". They lack the rhythmic drive of the contemporary foxtrots.

Fredrik

Agree there. Besides 6/8 is a pain to site read if everything is in something more normal like 4/4 or 2/4. They take you by suprise biggrin.gif .

Yea, I don't exactly despise them but they get old quick.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2020 - 09:00 AM