Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Al Bowlly, - the almost complete collection
Terry
post Apr 15 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

It also looks with the Premium account, that cookies may have to be enabled. When I click on the Premium user button I get the message "Your Cookie has not been recognized. Please login below, or purchase a Premium Account. Your Account will be activated immediately.", that's because I do not have a Premium account cookie. Possibly the same thing could occur with a Premium account if cookies are disabled, though I'd have thought the cookie was to automatically login.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charlie
post Apr 15 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 519

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 14 2010, 08:12 PM) *
Flattery will get you anywhere! biggrin.gif

OK, so here's two descriptions:-

First, Randy Skretvedt's own advice is here . To which I'd only add that you won't need a compressor/expander program(me) such as stuffit because Windows XP includes the necessary already. Just double-click on the downloaded zip file to unzip it.

Second, here's my method (with XP and Opera browser, other browsers will be similar) written before I remembered Randy's description.

Go to "My Music" then File>New>Folder.

Right-click on the New Folder which has appeared in My Music, select Rename and type in a new name such as Bowlly 49 for example.

Click on Randy's link for Volume 49 and then obviously you'll click on the paid-for option to download. Then Save>Save as and I expect you'll see My Music among the destinations. Double-click on My Music and Bowlly 49 should appear. Select it and Save again and downloading to Bowlly 49 starts. It will take anything from a minute or two with a fast machine and fast connection up to several hours if you have a slow dial-up connection.

When downloading is complete you'll find a zip file in folder Bowlly 49. Double-click on it and mp3s appear but you'll still need to click "Extract all files" in Folder tasks to complete.

You'll find that there's also a file Bowllys 49.doc containing documentation about the recordings and another file which I don't understand and ignore. Possibly you'll be unable to open Bowllys 49.doc in which case you'll need to download and install a suitable word-processor programme. Don't buy Word (expensive), choose free OpenOffice.

Repeat for Volume 48 and the 46(!) volumes which are to follow.

There, I've again made a simple task look very complicated but I hope it helps. Let us know how you get on.

Limden Thanks again Limden : I successfuly downloaded 49 played it and lost it again. I can see it is going to take some practice to be proficient at this task, but I have lots of time learn. I shall let you know how I am progressing. YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!!
Thanks again . Charlie

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 16 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Charlie, if you've downloaded and played the vol.49 files they MUST be in your computer somewhere unless you took positive action to delete them. Even then they would be in Recycle Bin from which they could be retrieved instantly.

Try Start>Search with bowlly as search term. Wherever they are in your PC they can be moved to where you want them.

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Apr 16 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

Hello Charlie,

Saw your request for help on dowloading these AB files. Don't know if you have successfully gotten any downloads yet, but here's my two cents worth on helping out.

Go to this link which is a pictorial presentation that I've created with some text narrative to explain the process. It's a 10 step process. but don't let that deter you. It's really simple, so just follow the instructions and you'll be a pro in no time flat.

Dowloading can be challenging sometimes and these particular files are proof of that. These files are compressed (Zip file format) and this lends a couple extras to the end process that you would not normally have with non-compressed files.

Don...

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 16 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Charlie, there was I thinking he'd never show up! Don is brilliant at this sort of thing and his pictorial presentation demonstrates what I was saying a way back - that computer tuition is an art smile.gif No excuse for not succeeding now....

Limden

+Quote Post
charlie
post Apr 17 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (limden @ Apr 14 2010, 08:12 PM) *
Flattery will get you anywhere! biggrin.gif

OK, so here's two descriptions:-

First, Randy Skretvedt's own advice is here . To which I'd only add that you won't need a compressor/expander program(me) such as stuffit because Windows XP includes the necessary already. Just double-click on the downloaded zip file to unzip it.

Second, here's my method (with XP and Opera browser, other browsers will be similar) written before I remembered Randy's description.

Go to "My Music" then File>New>Folder.

Right-click on the New Folder which has appeared in My Music, select Rename and type in a new name such as Bowlly 49 for example.

Click on Randy's link for Volume 49 and then obviously you'll click on the paid-for option to download. Then Save>Save as and I expect you'll see My Music among the destinations. Double-click on My Music and Bowlly 49 should appear. Select it and Save again and downloading to Bowlly 49 starts. It will take anything from a minute or two with a fast machine and fast connection up to several hours if you have a slow dial-up connection.

When downloading is complete you'll find a zip file in folder Bowlly 49. Double-click on it and mp3s appear but you'll still need to click "Extract all files" in Folder tasks to complete.

You'll find that there's also a file Bowllys 49.doc containing documentation about the recordings and another file which I don't understand and ignore. Possibly you'll be unable to open Bowllys 49.doc in which case you'll need to download and install a suitable word-processor programme. Don't buy Word (expensive), choose free OpenOffice.

Repeat for Volume 48 and the 46(!) volumes which are to follow.

There, I've again made a simple task look very complicated but I hope it helps. Let us know how you get on.

Limden

+Quote Post
charlie
post Apr 17 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Hello Limden and Roseman: Received your latest comunique on the Bowly downloading caper I will put it to use hopefuly tonight and let you know of my success [how could I not be successful with the info you have sent me?]. I hope there are other members who are able to share this tutorial . Again I thank you for your response. With every good wish. Charlie

+Quote Post
Terry
post Apr 19 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Volume 47 has been uploaded : http://rapidshare.com/files/377513914/Volume47.zip

This post has been edited by Terry: Apr 19 2010, 09:11 AM

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 19 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Terry @ Apr 19 2010, 04:10 AM) *

Let's see... that's 5 down, 45 to go. One 10th of the way there... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 19 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

The documentation file is missing from Volume 47 but all the information can be found here .

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Apr 19 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

QUOTE (laughland @ Apr 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Let's see... that's 5 down, 45 to go. tongue.gif

Reminds me of a song we kids use to sing on long trips that sorta went like...

50 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 50 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 49 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 48 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 47 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 46 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 45 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

... with the original lyrics changed a little. laugh.gif

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Apr 20 2010, 01:02 AM

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 19 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Roseman @ Apr 19 2010, 03:44 PM) *
Reminds me of a song we kids use to sing on long trips that sorta went like...

50 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 50 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

49 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 49 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

48 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 48 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

47 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 47 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

46 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 46 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 45 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

... with the original lyrics changed a little. laugh.gif

Don...

I recognize the song. It doesn't exactly roll of the tongue with your new lyrics, but I still like it Don. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Apr 25 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Here's Volume 46

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post May 2 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

And here's Volume 45 .

Charlie, how are you getting on with downloading?

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post May 9 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Volume 44

If you should have a problem with opening the Word files which are included with Randy's Volumes then you can find the same documentation in his posts on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group. For example the notes for Volume 44 are here.

Limden

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 09:37 PM