IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are there any 1920's titles you just DO NOT LIKE?
victrolajazz
post Apr 22 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

Here's something I've often wondered if other collectors have experienced--there are just some titles that, for whatever irrational reason, put you off completely to the point where you wouldn't consider buying the record in any condition or by any arrangement. This is completely subjective--it provides no commentary on the song itself, just my inability to relate to it. The list is very short, but probably the first song I list will be someone's absolute favorite--it will elicit a vitriolic reply which I'll admit I readily deserve so I can't say I'm not asking for it. Here they are:

Doll Dance style songs--Nola, Flapperette, they all have that same doo-doo-doo-doo-de-doo-de-doo style about them that I abhor.

Sweethearts on Parade: Just don't like it, never have and never will...

Blue Skies: This does seem strange as there doesn't seem to be a more representative title for a 20's song, it came out I believe in 1927 when everything was Roaring along, but I've just never liked it...

Ted Lewis Records: This is a case where I changed--I hate to admit how many Ted Lewis records I passed up over the years simply because I saw his name on them. Gradually, however, I couldn't help but start liking them, especially with the Mugsy Spanier solos. I think the thing that so repelled me was that Ted Lewis could neither sing nor play the clarinet and he did both, or at least one, on every record--once the clarinet started squealing, I had to stop the record. Tiger Rag is now one of my favorites, as is Dip Your Brush in the Sunshine (and Keep on Painting Away), and many of his Columbia flag label records. I have a friend who feels the same way about Guy Lombardo, but I KNOW
he's never going to change.

Well, that's it. No telling how many members I've put off. If you don't have any particular songs you don't like and would just like to tell me how off base I am, that's OK, too.

Eddie the Collector
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Apr 22 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I hate songs that have vocals that just simply take away from the whole song such as, "I ain't got nobody" by Ray Miller.

Or songs that the vocal dominates the whole song with a million verses.

I hate songs that sound to faddy. Like the collegiate songs of '20s... I like the style of these, but the lyrics are boring to me.

I can take some records if the recording quality ain't that great, but mostly I prefer songs with a better fidelity.

Love,
Gregory ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 22 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Are you guys familiar with something called "The Okeh Laughing Record" from 1923... That one drives me CRAZY!! I HATE it... And it really destroys the mood when I'm listening to one my favorite 20's compilations simply called "The Roaring Twenties"...

And, perhaps removed from your timeframe a little, but I can't stomach anything by Spike Jones -and this is coming from someone who does appreciate a good novelty number... I guess I just don't like gunshots and cowbells...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MathGeek
post Apr 22 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 376

QUOTE(victrolajazz @ Apr 22 2006, 12:48 PM)
Here's something I've often wondered if other collectors have experienced--there are just some titles that, for whatever irrational reason, put you off completely to the point where you wouldn't consider buying the record in any condition or by any arrangement. This is completely subjective--it provides no commentary on the song itself, just my inability to relate to it. The list is very short, but probably the first song I list will be someone's absolute favorite--it will elicit a vitriolic reply which I'll admit I readily deserve so I can't say I'm not asking for it. Here they are:

Doll Dance style songs--Nola, Flapperette, they all have that same doo-doo-doo-doo-de-doo-de-doo style about them that I abhor.

Sweethearts on Parade: Just don't like it, never have and never will...

Blue Skies: This does seem strange as there doesn't seem to be a more representative title for a 20's song, it came out I believe in 1927 when everything was Roaring along, but I've just never liked it...

Ted Lewis Records: This is a case where I changed--I hate to admit how many Ted Lewis records I passed up over the years simply because I saw his name on them. Gradually, however, I couldn't help but start liking them, especially with the Mugsy Spanier solos. I think the thing that so repelled me was that Ted Lewis could neither sing nor play the clarinet and he did both, or at least one, on every record--once the clarinet started squealing, I had to stop the record. Tiger Rag is now one of my favorites, as is Dip Your Brush in the Sunshine (and Keep on Painting Away), and many of his Columbia flag label records. I have a friend who feels the same way about Guy Lombardo, but I KNOW
he's never going to change.

Well, that's it. No telling how many members I've put off. If you don't have any particular songs you don't like and would just like to tell me how off base I am, that's OK, too.

Eddie the Collector

Hi Eddie,

I guess I feel more or less the same way about these items, with the possible
exception of Blue Skies which to my ears sounds fine up tempo, but not so
good when it's played slowly like it was done e.g. by Tommy Dorsey and others
in the Big Band Era. Take for example www.jazz-on-line.com/ram/HAR337-Hy.ram
(Blue Skies by the Astorites on Harmony 337) which to me sounds kind of nice.
(Who are the Astorites anyway?) I guess the only slower version of Blue Skies I
like is the much later one by Dizzy Gillespie where he changes the lyrics to something
like "Up there are blue skies, down there is the sea, over there is a great big whale
and he's looking at me.." and then goes on about how he hopes the whale spits
him out if/when the whale decides to try to eat him! Anyway, thanks for the really
neat photos of your phonograph collection and HOW posts!

Regards,
M.G.

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Apr 22 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 22 2006, 02:18 PM)
Are you guys familiar with something called "The Okeh Laughing Record" from 1923... That one drives me CRAZY!!  I HATE it..

That stinking record kept being repeated ad vomitum in the later 20's, too--one was played on the recent Nauck Broadcast.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Apr 23 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

I would probably have to say " The Stein Song" and mabye "You're The Cream In My Coffee"
A late friend of mine hated "Georgette" & "Swingin Down The Lane"
I love both of those
Cheers,
Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 23 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Songs I dislike:

When Your Hair Has Turned To Silver
Moonlight On the Colorado
Somewhere In Old Wyoming
and the like

Also, While I like many College songs, I find Charlie Cadet boring.

The Mug song is VERY annoying to me as is the High Hatters version of Anchors Away. Anchors Away was never meant to be a dance tune. It should be played by a marching band. I do like the lyrics, however.

I also dislike Lonesome Lover when played in a waltz format, but LOVE Vincent Lopez' or Bert Lown's versions!

I like "You're the Cream in My Coffee" especially by Annette Hanshaw, but she's great on everything except her Hawaiian numbers.
Matt

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
matto
post Apr 23 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

OH! I forgot.

I disdain "Sweetheart of My Student Days"

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
MathGeek
post Apr 23 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 376

Right, You're the Cream in My Coffee is nice especially when it's played up tempo like in the Ted Weems version but
it seems corny when it's played slowly. Thanks for the nice HOW selections, Matt!

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 23 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

In the realm of depressing songs, When Your Hair Has Turned To Silver has to be at the top of the list, as well as Maggie (When You and I Were Young). If I were to listen to either of those for very long, I would have to be placed on a car load of anti-depressants.

As for Ted Lewis? Well, let me put it this way, I've never been a big fan, but I must admit to half-way enjoying his rendition of "Ho Hum". Maybe, just maybe, I am turning the corner and beginning to appreciate his ho hum voice.

I tend to like upbeat songs, so Blue Skies is one I enjoy.

Flapper Girl

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 23 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Flapper Girl @ Apr 23 2006, 12:43 PM)
I tend to like upbeat songs, so Blue Skies is one I enjoy.

My favorite version of "Blue Skies" is by Whispering Jack; I find his brilliant and unique style to be just perfect for that song...
_ _ _

But I have another one for my negative column... I usually "look for the remote" whenever faced with Zez Confrey's "Kitten on the Keys" -endless drivel :-(

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 23 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

I don't recall ever hearing Whispering Jack's version of Blue Skies. My favorite Jack Smith number is still Crazy Rhythm, no matter what!

A hot little number I haven't heard for a long time is Piccolo Pete. It is as lively and uplifting as they come. I believe the version I remember was by Ted Weems but others may have recorded it, as well.

I'm with you, Eddie, give me a good vocal group or duet with close harmonies. You can't beat 'em. I have always thought the Mills Brothers to be tops in that category.

Flapper

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 24 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Hi Flapper,

Here is a copy of Jack's version of "Blue Skies"... and I couldn't resist adding one of my other favorite WJS recordings, "My Blue Heaven" (seems like we have a theme going on here) -and, of course, his brilliant version of "Crazy Rhythm" as well:

Blue Skies
My Blue Heaven
Crazy Rhythm

--------------------

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Apr 24 2006, 01:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Flapper Girl @ Apr 23 2006, 05:54 PM)
A hot little number I haven't heard for a long time is Piccolo Pete.  It is as lively and uplifting as they come.  I believe the version I remember was by Ted Weems but others may have recorded it, as well. 

Flapper

Yes, Ted Weems did Picolo Pete on Victor; the Six Jumping Jacks did it on Brunswick--I don't know who did it on Columbia, sorry.

My father loved to sing My Blue Heaven when we'd be driving along in the car.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Apr 24 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Flapper Girl,

...I just remembered, Picolo Pete on Columbia is by Harry Reser's Syncopators, coupled with one of my absolute Reser favorites, Collegiate Sam.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2020 - 09:37 PM