Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Features & New Projects
dismuke
post Aug 1 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I am pleased to announce new features and projects that will enable listeners to interact with Radio Dismuke and to discover vintage recordings beyond those played on the station.

- RADIO DISMUKE ON FACEBOOK A lot of people have asked why Radio Dismuke does not have a presence on Facebook. As of today it does at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Dismuke/123824654294253? If you are on Facebook and enjoy the station, please feel free to click on the "Like" button. And be sure to check the Wall section regularly for recommendations and links to great 1920s & 1930s popular music and jazz recordings elsewhere on the Internet. Some of these recommendations will be automatically fed to the Wall from Dismuke's Twitter Feed (for more on that, see below). Other recommendations will be posted specifically for the Facebook page.

- DISMUKE'S 78 RPM BLOG You can find it at http://dismuke.org/blog This is a brand new blog that is the successor to the old Dismuke's Hit of the Week feature that stopped being updated a year ago. The old Hit of the Week postings are not going away - they will continue to be available and archived at http://dismuke.org/how As with the old Hit of the Week site, the new blog will feature recordings from my 78 rpm record collection. Many of the recordings featured will be the same sort of 1920s and 1930s popular music and jazz recordings you hear on Radio Dismuke. But it will also present recordings from other 78 rpm era genres. Basically, if it is in my collection and was recorded between 1900 and 1945 it is fair game for inclusion.

- DISMUKE ON TWITTER http://twitter.com/#!/Dismuke78 I now have a brand new Twitter account from which I will be posting recommendations and links to 78 rpm era recordings found elsewhere on the Internet. As with the blog, in addition to featuring plenty of recordings of 1920s and 1930s pop and jazz, the Twitter feed will highlight other 78 rpm era genres as well. Those tweets that ARE consistent with the sort of material played on Radio Dismuke will be automatically directed into the Wall section of the Radio Dismuke Facebook page.

Both the blog and the Twitter feed make it easy for those who are interested in promoting the music to a wider audience to do so. If you have a Twitter account and enjoy one of the recordings featured, consider retweeting it on to others. Same for any recordings you might enjoy on the blog - on each posting you will find icons which will enable you to share the posting with others either by email or through a variety of social networking sites. The biggest difficulty vintage recordings face in terms of enjoying the modern audience that they deserve is most people are not familiar with them. But a great many people are highly receptive to such music once they are exposed to it. Social networking provides an excellent opportunity to bring the music to the attention of potential new audiences.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Aug 2 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Hmm.., no-one seems to be hastening to comment on these interesting and significant developments but some sort of response is surely called for so I'll risk appearing foolish.

As one of the older generation I haven't yet fully grasped the benefits of Twitter or even Facebook nor of putting information into a blog. I'm sure Dismuke knows what he's doing but I just wonder if there could now be an unwelcome dispersal of information instead of everything being concentrated into this old familiar message board plus the Hit of the Week site. No matter, so long as music from “our” era now and then gets posted somewhere I can find it I'm happy, thank you Dismuke!.... and somehow or other I'll figure out a way to download it and keep it if the mood takes me. No doubt I'll get the point of Twitter and Facebook eventually, after all I never imagined I'd become a YouTube addict but then the light suddenly dawned.

By the way, there's a Dismuke's channel on YouTube but it seems to belong to one Carolyn so I don't think it can be our chap. Then there's a RadioDismuke YT channel which looks more like the genuine article except that Dismuke never tells us about it so could it perhaps be an imposter? So many sites, so little time!

Limden

This post has been edited by limden: Aug 2 2011, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Terry
post Aug 6 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

I tend to go along with Limden.
The 78rpm blog is great, but the Facebook and Twitter concepts just do not appeal.

I did foolishly sign up for Facebook when a friend moved to Korea, and it was a means for his colleagues and friends seeing what was going on and how they were making out over there. But I withdrew after a while and tried to erase private info.

My much younger sister who is into such things, and also my granddaughters, have given up trying to get me to join.

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Aug 9 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

I learned many years ago, via my profession of IT work, to accept change. It's going to happen. In this computer age newer and better ways of pushing infomation around the globe is the name of the game.

I've waited to see how the changes Dismuke was initiating would look. So far I like what I see. I check the blog and facebook links regularly. He seems to be making a concerted effort to keep the blog updated in a timely manner with interesting music and banter. I download what I like and let the other pass. At least we have something to look forward to again.

I don't use Twitter, so I don't know what he might be putting on that feed.

Just out of curiosity, I would be interested in what various methods/procedures are being used to download the songs he post on the blog. He's using Adobe Flash player and it's not the easiest to capture the stream to an mp3 file.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Aug 10 2011, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Aug 10 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Keep in mind that it is not necessary to have an account with either Twitter or Facebook to view the tweets or the content posted to the Facebook wall. All of that information is set to public and can be viewed by simply going there as with an ordinary website.

http://www.facebook.com/RadioDismuke?sk=wall

http://twitter.com/#!/dismuke78

Now, if you already have a Facebook account and "like" the Radio Dismuke page or if you have a Twitter account and subscribe to my tweets you can view my content from within your account without having to visit the individual web pages. And you can also have the content show up in other places if you like - for example through MyYahoo or Google Reader or on your Mobile phone.

I am also very sympathetic to those who do not use either service. Other than the website/radio station related endeavors, I don't use them either. My personal Facebook account that I use to administer the Radio Dismuke Facebook page is set to the highest privacy levels that Facebook allows. I have nothing against either service. And I know a lot of people who get a lot of benefit from Facebook. It is a wonderful way to maintain contact with people such as old friends, former neighbors, former co-workers, former classmates and extended family that one no longer interacts with on a regular basis. But it is not something that I have the time for myself.

But the fact is that there are a LOT of people on Facebook - indeed, I know far more people who HAVE Facebook profiles than who don't. The big point of all my efforts is to expose the music to new audiences - which means that it makes sense to be where in venues where that potential audience spends time online.

The other advantage of both is that it provides opportunity to spread word about the music through leveraging the power of social media - which can be VERY powerful. Social media is word of mouth on steroids. I am trying to make it as easy as possible for someone who enjoys something I present - either on my blog or the stuff other people are putting up that I recommend via twitter and Facebook - to pass it along and bring it to the attention of other people.

The Facebook page has taken off very quickly. The Twitter page is off to a rather slow start in terms of subscribership. But I expected as much - it is not as widely used as Facebook. It will pick up over time. And gaining a following on Twitter is not the only purpose I have for the account. My tweets are fed directly into my blog in a section on the right hand column. So the tweets will serve a double purpose of providing new content for visitors to the blog during periods when I either take the day off or am unable to find the time to post. It takes me less than a minute to put up a new Twitter posting - so it is a very low cost endeavor for me in terms of the time I have to put into it.

Also, the Radio Dismuke YouTube channel that Limden stumbled across is mine. But it is not something that I actively promote. There are a few uploads there - mostly videos I recorded of the Singapore Slingers, a local '10s '20s and '30s dance band in my area. I posted a few 78s there awhile back that so that I could link back to them from elsewhere on the web. It is mostly a repository of stuff I have bookmarked under "favorites" There is a wealth of cool foreign recordings under the favorites. I mostly use YouTube for finding foreign recordings that are otherwise extremely difficulty to find and listen to over here. And you will see some mostly foreign late '50s and early '60s doo wop era pop - which is a genre I have learned to appreciate and find myself in the mood to hear on occasion.

+Quote Post
limden
post Aug 14 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Aug 9 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Just out of curiosity, I would be interested in what various methods/procedures are being used to download the songs he post on the blog. He's using Adobe Flash player and it's not the easiest to capture the stream to an mp3 file.

Don...

Don, Took me a while to get there but I'll PM you with my method in a few hours time - once I've done a bit more checking that it's reliable. Turns out to be very simple really!

Limden

+Quote Post
charlie
post Sep 14 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 519

QUOTE (limden @ Aug 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *
Don, Took me a while to get there but I'll PM you with my method in a few hours time - once I've done a bit more checking that it's reliable. Turns out to be very simple really!

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Sep 14 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Charlie

This works for songs in Dismuke's blog with XP, IE8 and uptodate RealPlayer :-

Play song in IE8 (method doesn't work with Opera) and hover mouse arrow over it. A RealPlayer tab appears offering “Download This Clip”. Click and RealPlayer Downloader puts it into RealPlayer Library as an mp3. Rename song in RealPlayer Downloader. (Sometimes the tab is reluctant to appear and a right-click will offer the same option). Close tab (which has eventually appeared) before moving on to another song.

Open Library. Right-click on file in the Library. Select “File” then “Move Files...” to wherever you choose, for example a folder within My Music.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Oct 14 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The method described above works for me with Windows 7, the ordinary IE8 and RealPlayer. However it does not work with the 64-bit version of IE8 - no tab appears nor is there an opportunity to "Download this video" upon right-clicking.

Can anyone suggest a way to download the songs in Dismuke's blog (and also YouTube videos) which works with 64-bit IE8? And what happens if IE is up-dated to IE9?

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Oct 15 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

Limden,

Don't know if you've seen this link, but from what I can decipher from it, using IE8-64bit and Realplayer poses a compatibility problem.

And if IE9 is 64bit too, I would suspect the same negative results.

Don...

Answers

+Quote Post
limden
post Oct 15 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Thanks Don, I suspected something of the kind. It's not really a problem as I can easily still use the "ordinary" 32-bit IE8. Also I've seen http://keepvid.com/ recommended elsewhere - I haven't tried it myself but I shall if IE and RealPlayer cease to be helpful.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:26 AM