IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regarding Clothes of the 20's & 30's, Are there any.....?
Doc Savage
post May 5 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 257

....specialty stores, online or from around my neck of the woods ( NYC),where one may purchase clothes from our beloved era? At least as far as the hats are concerned,there are a couple of haberdasheries still around from the golden days of NYC.....one of them is even still by its cobblestoned street in front of the store!
wink.gif

--------------------
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles."- Charlie Chaplin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian House
post May 5 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(Doc Savage @ May 4 2006, 07:53 PM)
At least as far as the hats are concerned,there are a couple of haberdasheries still around from the golden days of NYC.....

Hi Doc,

There's a WONDERFUL hat shop called J. J. Hat Center that sits in the shadow of the Empire State building at 310 Fifth Ave (@ 32nd). They've been in business since 1911 ... It's likely one of the shops that you were referring to. Before online shopping was invented, it was always my ritual to go there and freshen up with a brand new fedora whenever I made the visit to Manhattan. It's a wonderful place to simply just window shop as well. If you've never been there, I would highly recommend a visit.

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc Savage
post May 5 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Ian, I will definitely go there tomorrow! The store I was mentioning was one down by the cobblestoned Nassau Street , right by City Hall. I'll let you know what I got!...thanks!
-C.S.

--------------------
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles."- Charlie Chaplin

+Quote Post
Ian House
post May 5 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Hey C.S.,

I should have mentioned the online milliner that I currently rely on; They are very reliable and friendly to deal with. Lots of great fedoras and newsboys. Click here to visit NogginTops.com

But still visit J.J. just for the joy of it! (...but remember to fill your wallet though :-)

I look forward to your review...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc Savage
post May 6 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Hi Ian!
I went to J.J's Hat Center today and got myself this cap (just in time for summer!):

The folks there were real friendly and helpful...I might go back again when I get a few more bucks!

Now if I could only find a place that has the (vintage) clothes , and I'll be set!

Thanks for the tips, again, Ian!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Charleston Charl...
post May 20 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 118

Revamp vintage does a good job of repro women's clothing; the men's stuff of the 20s/30's is somewhat limited, however.

Revamp

Flapper station seems to have some interesting things, and their newsboys look good, though I haven't bought any yet.

Flapper Station

--------------------
"Sweet and Hot" - 3 hours of the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's on CITR 101.9 FM

http://www.myspace.com/citrjazz

+Quote Post
birdible
post May 21 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

Oh darn I new of a couple stores that do vintage clothing. There is one in my area that I've seen by looking at their website. I''l try to keep looking and get those sites.

+Quote Post
Doc Savage
post May 22 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thanks for the info, Charleston. I like the stuff on Revamp..I might order a couple of things there.You're right, I wish there more of a variety on the 20's and 30's men's clothing.
yeah, Birdible, if you come across anything please let us know. The stores in my area have mostly women's dresses and vintage for them is 70's and 80's (?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
birdible
post May 22 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

Here's a store that goes back to Victorian style up to the 50's:
http://www.anothertimevintageapparel.com/

The next doesn't go back as far but might have a couple things of interest:
http://www.old-clothes.com/

At least one has links to other vintage clothing websites.

+Quote Post
Charleston Charl...
post May 24 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 118

Of course, there's always Ebay!

palm beach suit

Shoes!

or, a watch....

watch

--------------------
"Sweet and Hot" - 3 hours of the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's on CITR 101.9 FM

http://www.myspace.com/citrjazz

+Quote Post
tferbe
post May 24 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

My dad had a light cream colored felt fedora with a wide brim and a dark blue silk band around the crown when I was a young boy. I loved to wear it and was scolded at several times for taking it out of the closet. It disappeared after he passed away. I sure would love to find another like it now. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Doc Savage
post May 24 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Hey guys,great stuff all around !

My dad had a light cream colored felt fedora with a wide brim and a dark blue silk band around the crown ....I sure would love to find another like it now

If you check the links to the sites the other folks left on this thread , you might find something comparable.
Personally ,I like the newsboy cap but prefer the good old fedora for the general occasion.Straw hats are cool except that they remind me more of the “ Susquehanna Hat Company” skit done by Abbott and Costello than ,let’s say , Harold Loyd .

--------------------

+Quote Post
LadyNostalgiaBuf...
post May 30 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

I like the way people dressed in this era. It was as if people took more pains with themselves in their grooming.

Fortunately, these fashions seem to be making a comeback of sorts -- such elegant hats and dresses. I see them in various clothing catalogues. That's the kind of clothes I'd like to have for church.

+Quote Post
Guest_jimmcartoo_*
post Oct 14 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Ian House @ May 5 2006, 03:41 AM) *
Hi Doc,

There's a WONDERFUL hat shop called J. J. Hat Center that sits in the shadow of the Empire State building at 310 Fifth Ave (@ 32nd). They've been in business since 1911 ... It's likely one of the shops that you were referring to. Before online shopping was invented, it was always my ritual to go there and freshen up with a brand new fedora whenever I made the visit to Manhattan. It's a wonderful place to simply just window shop as well. If you've never been there, I would highly recommend a visit.

Ian

That hat shop is very big and variety of hats available

+Quote Post
custer
post Oct 24 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Doc Savage @ May 4 2006, 08:53 PM) *
....specialty stores, online or from around my neck of the woods ( NYC),where one may purchase clothes from our beloved era? At least as far as the hats are concerned,there are a couple of haberdasheries still around from the golden days of NYC.....one of them is even still by its cobblestoned street in front of the store!
wink.gif

I have a fairly extensive wardrobe at this point - but probably 98% of my stuff came off the venerable Ebay. If you ever tune in to the Cicada Club broadcast on Sunday nights you might see me dance by on occasion, though lately I haven't been getting off shift early enough to go, but I may be changing jobs soon and go back to being a regular at the place again.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 11:52 PM