Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Six Jumping Jacks, Trumpet Solos
goodolddays
post Aug 4 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 489

This question has been burning in the back of my mind for years. Does anyone happen to know which one of the Harry Reser trumpet players (Earl Oliver or Tommy Gott) played those wonderful lead trumpet solos on the Jumping Jacks records? I have a feeling that "if you weren't there for the recording session..you ain't gonna know"! However, it's worth a try. (as a newbie I just want to say what a wonderful site this is for those of us who love and appreciate this period music. Coming here is like wearing a familiar pair of warm slippers!)

Thank you,

Bob Palmer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
80rpm
post Aug 5 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 453

Greetings,
I think I can answer this question. The hot trumpet player is probably Earl Oliver. I know this because I collect Edison records. Reser recorded under various pseudonyms on Edison one of them being “Earl Oliver;’s Jazz Babies”. The hot trumpet can be heard prominently on these recordings. If it were Tommy Gott, they would be called “Tommy Gott’s Jazz Babies”. I have always felt that Earl Oliver is one of the most unrecognized greats of the jazz age.

+Quote Post
goodolddays
post Aug 5 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 489

QUOTE(80rpm @ Aug 5 2006, 10:54 AM)
Greetings,
I think I can answer this question. The hot trumpet player is probably Earl Oliver. I know this because I collect Edison records. Reser recorded under various pseudonyms on Edison one of them being “Earl Oliver;’s Jazz Babies”. The hot trumpet can be heard prominently on these recordings. If it were Tommy Gott, they would be called “Tommy Gott’s Jazz Babies”. I have always felt that Earl Oliver is one of the most unrecognized greats of the jazz age.

Thanks so much. I definitely agree with your assessment of Oliver's talent

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2019 - 02:02 PM