Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Musical Sites to Ponder
Roseman
post Apr 5 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Anyone that's ever had a hobby that involves collecting, knows that a big part of the fun is in
'the thrill of the hunt'. Finding that special something after much searching and/or not knowing if
anything will show up keeps the excitement alive and the child-like dream to find again flourishing.

For some 78rpm collectors, posting their music finds to web sites is a way to share in their hobby.
By listening to these recordings we become beneficiaries of their labors. Even though we were not
involved in the hunt, we still partake in a secondary thrill.

Not unlike record collecting, finding music sites via web searching can be exciting too. Just as the
record collector is thrilled at finding a stash of rarities in an old box that was covered with rags, the
web searcher can get just as excited over a little known music site found on the 22th page of a Google
search. Or even from some indirect link that unexpectively brought up a stash of music files. I've had
this happen while searching images.

What is unique about music site web searching is that the finds can be passed along to others
and then they can search through the music file box and potentially get the same thrills as the
original finder.

Here are a few boxes I found. Search them and enjoy.

Three's or just Trios
is what I call this one...

Speaking of Trios, The DiGiallonardo Sisters are hot.
Wish I could find more of their stuff.

Jazz Rhythm:
Jumping Swing, Classic Blues and Hot Jazz -- Old and New

Jazz Decades.
WGBH Boston offers up this link of a now inactive program that was hosted by Ray Smith.
Some 15 one hour shows here with playlist available. Very knowledgable host and
insightful narratives about the music.

Heypally's 78 RPMs
Here's a site that's fun to search through with a couple years worth of archives. I like the pictorial presentation.
If that name seems familiar, it may be because you saw it here on Dismukes Message Board. He's a member.

An extensive V-Disc compilation can be found at BestWeb-Link.Net. Plus many other jazz selections. The site
provides a Yahoo web-player and playlist. This Japanese site may suggest a language pack installation,
just click cancel and proceed to the music. There's also a Top 30 selection for years 1935-1956.

With out the language conversion, navigation may be cumbersome, so here are separate links for:
Main index page: Find V-Disc here plus top 30.

Generic page (may be just a continuation of
main page): Starts with Arne Hulphers.
To find others click the ======= links to the left.

And for a finale; another eclectic music site playing pre-1951 stuff... Broaden your horizons, good music is where
YOU find it...Crackleton Manor
(Note: Give the player a few minutes to buffer and then you can scroll thru the musical offerings. Also downloadable via podcast link.)

Don...

Yes Virginia, there is a world outside of Facebook and YouTube.

This post has been edited by Roseman: Apr 24 2013, 09:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 24 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Hey there Don - nice to see that you are still finding good stuff out there to share!

For some reason some of your links don't seem to work for me this time. sad.gif
I was able to find most of the faulty ones via searching however. tongue.gif

Anyway, I think my favorite from this bunch are the The DiGiallonardo Sisters. It is too bad there isn't a lot more by them to download or purchase...

This post has been edited by laughland: Apr 24 2013, 03:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Apr 25 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Hello Laughland,

Thanks for the kind words.

And to borrow some words from fellow Dismukers -- I'm just a rag-and-bone music man surfing the musical streets of the web-world and having a fossick doing it. laugh.gif

Sorry about the linking problems. A little miscue on this end. Should be ok now.

As for the DiGi. Sisters, it seems their major exsposure has been via GK's PHC. That's were I originally discovered them. A search on the site will uncover some previous shows they were on and you can find some more tid bits of their work. Not hard to search, they (PHC) do a great job with their archives, Audio portion is segmented by hour and individual songs and spots are indexed with time elements. Makes it easy to locate.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Apr 25 2013, 12:42 AM

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Apr 29 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

As an addendum to this message I've got to add this new YT link I just found. A treasure cove of jazz music that includes from the early 19teens up and into the 1950's. A cache of over 16k posted songs. What a posting and a major part of it just in the last few weeks. Check it out soon. This stuff might not last long.

The only practical way to view it is via his playlist links or use the search feature to find specific selections.

Don...

+Quote Post
Roseman
post May 12 2013, 02:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (laughland @ Apr 23 2013, 11:29 PM) *
...The DiGiallonardo Sisters. It is too bad there isn't a lot more by them to download or purchase...

Just in case you missed it, here's more stuff by the DiGi's. Find selections in segments 1and 2 - PHC for 5-4-13.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: May 13 2013, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 03:59 PM