Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midget Actors
LadyNostalgiaBuf...
post May 30 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Has anyone ever heard of George and Olive Brasno? They were a midget brother/sister duo who have appeared in some movies in the 1930s, but I first became familiar with them when watching Our Gang Comedies. From a distance, they gave the appearance of 8 or 9-year-old little kids, but Olive was in her late teens and George was in his early 20s at the time.

Also, there was somebody known as "Little Billy" I saw in an all-star special film entitled "The Stolen Jools"

Something tells me that little person performers were very popular in those days.

Who can think of some others?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MJJ
post May 30 2006, 04:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

Let'see, I can think of:

Billy Barty

Herve Villechiase ("De Plane Boss! De Plane!")

Michael Dunn.... Played Dr. Miguelito Loveless from 1965-1968 on the TV series "Wild, Wild West"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Billy Curtis (Billed in some films as "Little Billy" or "Little Billy" Curtis)

Little Billy Rhodes

NOTE: Curtis, and Rhodes were in "The Wizard Of OZ (1939) ;

Curtis played the "Munchkin City Father"
Rhodes played the "Munchkin Barrister"

==
also, if you want a laugh, look for the 1938 western Musical film, "The Terror Of Tiny Town" featuring an all-midget cast, with Curtis as The Hero, and Rhodes as The Villain. Actor's walking into a Saloon under the doors, and riding Shetland Ponies ohmy.gif

===============================================================
And, here are the "Internet Movie Database" pages for George, and Olive Brasno.

George Brasno: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0105422/

Olive Brasno: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0105423/

--------------------
===================
"The Payne Place": http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html

+Quote Post
tferbe
post May 31 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I recently had the priviledge of performing an old time radio recreation with Dick Beals. Though technically not a midget Mr. Beals is very small in stature and though in his seventies still has the voice of a young boy. Dick appeared in many old radio programs including The Green Hornet, Gunsmoke and as Dan Reed on the Lone Ranger. He was also the voice of Gumby and Davy in Davy and Goliath in the sixtees on TV. Perhaps he is best known as the voice of Speedy Alka-Seltzer. We performed an episode of Suspense called Heavens To Betsy in which Dick played the young boy on the original show in the early 50s and played the same part in our recreation in 2002. Amazingly he still sounds the same. During our rehersal with Dick it was very plain to see how talented this terrific actor is, dispite his small physical stature. It was a great expierience for an amature like me. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
tferbe
post May 31 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

Correction: The recreation was done in 2001. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
laughland
post May 31 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

When I hear the name Dick Beals I immediately think of the daydreaming little boy named Ralph Phillips...

--------------------

+Quote Post
O'Boran
post Nov 20 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 642

I knew Billy Curtis back in the early sixties. We lived in the same hotel, the Paramount, next to the Paramount Studio lot. He helped get me into Desilu Studios to study acting. He was a wonderful character, though a bit of a scoundrel with the ladies, and evey morning I would place bets for him on the horses with a bookie who ran a news stand on the corner near the hotel. We spent hours together in which he reminisced about his career and the stories he told were priceless. I have wonderful memories of him. We will not see his like again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:28 AM