Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spotify, - a wonderful new resource for some of us
limden
post May 5 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Spotify is a music-streaming service which is available in the UK either as an ad-funded service, where you have to listen to three adverts an hour (muting from the computer keyboard doesn't let you escape!) or as a 9.99 British pounds a month advertising-free subscription. There's a full description in Wikipedia. Currently, there are said to be around 2.7 million tracks available for legal listening. The "free" version is also currently available in France, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Finland. Other countries may have the paid version while some, including the USA, don't yet have it at all.

I've been trying out the "free" version in the UK and I can say that it's like being let loose in a record store - correction, CD store - where you have free rein to play whatever takes your fancy. I've darted about in a disorganised manner, trying one search term after another, and it's rare to find nothing. Searches yield almost instant results and tracks play instantly with no discernable buffering. Best to use search terms in the original language: "Die Lustige Witwe" rather than "The Merry Widow".

Some examples of search terms leading to excellent results, often far more tracks than I was expecting: Sinatra, Joe Venuti, Ruth Etting, Benny Carter, Alberta Hunter, Arielle Dombasle, Lucienne Delyle, Fritz Wunderlich, Whispering Jack Smith, George Formby, Robert Stolz (as conductor rather than as composer), "Veronique", "South Pacific".
Search terms leading to a good many tracks, faint disappointment not to find even more: Al Bowlly (hardly any of his American recordings), Greta Keller, Elisabeth Welch, Anne Shelton, Lee Wiley, Jerome Kern.

Search terms leading to disappointingly few results: Hildegarde, Anne Lenner, Sam Costa, Raie da Costa, Victor Herbert, Lee Morse, Ben Bernie, Leo Reisman, "The Dollar Princess",

Sound quality of course reflects the quality of the CD from which a track is taken but is usually excellent.

The ads are sometimes loud and intrusive, usually inappropriate to this listener. I can't help but wonder whether the current level of advertising can provide adequate support.

Why am I bothering to explain all this? Naturally it's not primarily orientated towards the Dismuke era but there really is something for everyone. Americans are missing something worthwhile. "Peer-to-peer" comes in to it somewhere but I've not noticed, nor read of, any undesirable consequences. So pile in if you can, explore and enjoy.

Limden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derekpara
post May 11 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 441

QUOTE (limden @ May 5 2009, 02:43 PM) *
Spotify is a music-streaming service which is available in the UK either as an ad-funded service, where you have to listen to three adverts an hour (muting from the computer keyboard doesn't let you escape!) or as a 9.99 British pounds a month advertising-free subscription. There's a full description in Wikipedia. Currently, there are said to be around 2.7 million tracks available for legal listening. The "free" version is also currently available in France, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Finland. Other countries may have the paid version while some, including the USA, don't yet have it at all.

I've been trying out the "free" version in the UK and I can say that it's like being let loose in a record store - correction, CD store - where you have free rein to play whatever takes your fancy. I've darted about in a disorganised manner, trying one search term after another, and it's rare to find nothing. Searches yield almost instant results and tracks play instantly with no discernable buffering. Best to use search terms in the original language: "Die Lustige Witwe" rather than "The Merry Widow".

Some examples of search terms leading to excellent results, often far more tracks than I was expecting: Sinatra, Joe Venuti, Ruth Etting, Benny Carter, Alberta Hunter, Arielle Dombasle, Lucienne Delyle, Fritz Wunderlich, Whispering Jack Smith, George Formby, Robert Stolz (as conductor rather than as composer), "Veronique", "South Pacific".
Search terms leading to a good many tracks, faint disappointment not to find even more: Al Bowlly (hardly any of his American recordings), Greta Keller, Elisabeth Welch, Anne Shelton, Lee Wiley, Jerome Kern.

Search terms leading to disappointingly few results: Hildegarde, Anne Lenner, Sam Costa, Raie da Costa, Victor Herbert, Lee Morse, Ben Bernie, Leo Reisman, "The Dollar Princess",

Sound quality of course reflects the quality of the CD from which a track is taken but is usually excellent.

The ads are sometimes loud and intrusive, usually inappropriate to this listener. I can't help but wonder whether the current level of advertising can provide adequate support.

Why am I bothering to explain all this? Naturally it's not primarily orientated towards the Dismuke era but there really is something for everyone. Americans are missing something worthwhile. "Peer-to-peer" comes in to it somewhere but I've not noticed, nor read of, any undesirable consequences. So pile in if you can, explore and enjoy.

Limden

Thanks, Limden. A great site with excellent sound quality. Music from all genres and some really good stuff from the revivalist days of the 40,50s and 60s from bands such as Ken Colyer, Humph and Chris Barber etc. I don't find the adverts too intrusive either.

Well done.

Derek

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post May 12 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36

hay lim

can u put the music on this site to a cd?

lenny

+Quote Post
limden
post May 12 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (coonsanders @ May 12 2009, 01:34 PM) *
hay lim

can u put the music on this site to a cd?

lenny

Well, you can buy tracks - something I'm far too mean to do - so I suppose they can be burned to a cd. Or you could always re-record stuff with (for example) Audacity.

Also there's a difficult and rather devious way to grab Spotify tracks outlined here. I haven't, and wouldn't, try it. For one thing you have to have the premium, paid for, version of Spotify. For another the audio quality apparently suffers in the process and anyway it's possibly illegal.

Limden

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post May 13 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36

gotcha ya lim....

lenny

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Aug 9 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

In case you missed it, we now have Spotify on this side of the pond.

Just in time may I add---since Deezer is not available anymore here.

It's been a couple years coming, but what little I've played around with, it looks like the wait was worth it.

Thanks Limden for the original tip.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Aug 9 2011, 06:17 PM

+Quote Post
limden
post Aug 9 2011, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Deezer is still available here in the UK but the free version has predictably become less attractive. First you have to register (no problem) then there's a limit to the number of times you can play any one recording and then there's a limit of 5 hours listening per month after which you can only hear 30 second clips. They tell me I've reached the latter limit but I'm fairly sure I've seldom listened lately. Then I've found that the search function doesn't always work. Never mind, I always knew it was too good to last and I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify doesn't follow the same pattern. Enjoy it while you can!

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Aug 9 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

I had read of the limitations they were putting on the free account. But we get a screen saying the service is not available in our country. They ask for an email address and they will keep you updated. Don't quite understand how the service was ok a few months back, but not ok now. Sounds like someone jumped the gun.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Aug 9 2011, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th December 2021 - 06:19 PM