Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rudy Vallee's Connecticut Yankee's
NormanL
post Oct 7 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4386

How do they rate? I really enjoy the music and arrangements on Ruddy Valle's songs, but I'm not a musician and I'm curious what the professional opinion is on them. Are they considered good by the experts, or just an adequate popular band? I've heard them on radio doing a version of "Till I Wake" that just gives me chills.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Oct 9 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

As long as you enjoy Rudy and the Connecticut Yankees, what does the opinion of any expert matter? I dig "Deep Night" not just for the tune and the mood it evokes, but the percussionist on the side kills me.

All "experts" have their own particular agendas. The writer of the liner notes of the recent Document Golden Gate Orchestra CD criticizes the California Ramblers basically for not having been born black. Likewise, professional musicians may have their opinions about the Connecticut Yankees but it all comes down to personal taste. A stellar world-class reed man of my acquaintance has some kind things to say about Ted Lewis, and a very hip and highly respected record producer/author/radio host I know staunchly defended Paul Whiteman (and not just the Bix/Bing sides).

Whatever anyone may opine, it's okay to like what you like.

+Quote Post
JohnWells
post Oct 11 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (Andy Senior @ Oct 9 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Whatever anyone may opine, it's okay to like what you like.

Back in the mid-seventies when I was in college, an assignment was to bring in an LP of our favorite music. I brought in an album of Glen Miller music, knowing full well that my contemporaries would laugh, while they brought in "The Eagles" or "Fleetwood Mac".

The class instructor was impressed, and his words were just that: "It's okay to like what you like".

--------------------
Accept Yourself. Respect Others. Live Simply. Relax Daily.[font="Century Gothic"][/font]

+Quote Post
NormanL
post Oct 11 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Good advice, Andy and John. Very wise.

And I'm with it. It's just that I've spent my life listening to music- rock and roll- where I both know what I personally like, and can gauge what the critics response will be pretty accurately. I know what a well-written rock song sounds like, and I know what virtuoso (or tasteful) guitar playing sounds like. I feel a little at sea with this music, which adds to the excitement and sense of discovery.

About Whiteman: I did not know that he needed defending. I'm afraid to know what they think of Tommy Dorsey! Or Glenn.

I heard a regional band the other day on an old radio remote, Jimmie Joy's band, and they rocked, a really bright and well-articulated sound. There was so much good music happening back then that finding it now is a little over-whelming.

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Oct 11 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE (NormanL @ Oct 11 2010, 09:21 AM) *
Good advice, Andy and John. Very wise.
About Whiteman: I did not know that he needed defending.

Paul Whiteman, while immensely popular, is generally held in utter contempt by "true" jazz musicians, whoever they are, altho he gave many great jazz musicians, specifically Bix, opportunities they might not have otherwise have had. The best example of this attitude I can come up with is the book "Remembering Bix" by Ralph Berton, brother of the tremendously gifted 20's drummer Vic Berton. Ralph, born in 1911, had personal associations with Bix as a youngster in his early teens in the mid-20's because of his close association with his brother and family in New York, in fact Bix lived with them for awhile and he idolized Bix and his music. In the book, he treats Whiteman with utter contemp, refering to him as a "tub of **it". He saw him, as many jazz musicians did, as a total purveyor of commercial dance music and ridiculed his self-promoting movie "King of Jazz" as being portrayed by a person who never played a note of jazz in his life. I'll confess I don't much like Paul Whiteman's records of the late 20's as they seem to be ponderous and over-arranged, heavy on the strings--in fact it was a very large band compared to others of the day.

I'm afraid to know what they think of Tommy Dorsey! Or Glenn.

I would have to believe that both Tommy Dorsey, his brother Jimmy, and Glenn Miller commanded the greatest respect of all jazz musicians both black and white. They both developed distinctive styles in the swing era, especially Glenn Miller, that would probably be considered commercial, but they all three had impeccable credentials as jazz musicians as early as the mid and late 20's as can be witnessed by the many solos on recordings between 1925 and 1930. Their talents were fully formed by 1925 and were as great as they were in the mid- and late-30's, even tho' they were playing an entirely different style of music by that time.

I heard a regional band the other day on an old radio remote, Jimmie Joy's band, and they rocked, a really bright and well-articulated sound. There was so much good music happening back then that finding it now is a little over-whelming.

Again, Jimmie Joy's band (his real name was James Maloney) was a tremendously popular and hot territory band from right here in Texas, able to hold its own with any of the jazz bands of the day.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Oct 11 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36

hi gang

why do we have to over analyze everything?if its good just enjoy it.whiteman had a great band over
arranged or not..the man knew his business and give him my total reapect and he deserved it..thats
just my 2 cents.

lenny

ps i spoke to rudy vallee on the phone and he seemed to be a true gentleman

+Quote Post
NormanL
post Oct 11 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Again, Jimmie Joy's band (his real name was James Maloney) was a tremendously popular and hot territory band from right here in Texas, able to hold its own with any of the jazz bands of the day.

His band was a revelation to me on radio, from a January '45 episode of Coca Cola's Spotlight Bands program. I'm just floored that territory bands were that good.

By the way Eddie the Collector, I just found the July 2008 post you made on Jimmie Joy. I found it when I did a search right before asking if he cut many records and if they could be heard. Many thanks to you for collecting, sharing, and keeping the music alive! If anybody is interested in Eddies post on the Jimmy "Joy" Maloney band, it can be found here

This post has been edited by NormanL: Oct 11 2010, 07:52 PM

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Oct 11 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NormanL @ Oct 11 2010, 02:50 PM) *
If anybody is interested in Eddies post on the Jimmy "Joy" Maloney band, it can be found here

Thanks, NormanL, for the nice plug and for your comments and recent membership on the board! I enjoyed writing up that piece for Dismuke. For additional examples of Joy's records, access my channel on YouTube under the name VictrolaJazz, with the "V" and "J" capitalized in that case.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Oct 11 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

hi
i have this 2 lp set of jimmy joy but unfortunetly the sound quaility is questional..

lenny

This post has been edited by coonsanders: Oct 11 2010, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
NormanL
post Oct 12 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Eddie, I'm actually already subscribed to your channel as artaud8642, and I've posted several of your videos to my Facebook group. What a small world! Thanks for the uploads. smile.gif

Lenny, those records sound interesting. Surface noise doesn't bother me at all, if that is the issue. Off-topic, and I think we've probably plumbed the topic completely already, what format do you and Eddie use when you digitize these records? Do you use the .wav format?

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Oct 12 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

hi norman

its the mp3 format..besides thats its a decent texas band.....

lenny

+Quote Post
Tony
post Oct 17 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 652

My mother liked to tell the story about a comment I made, sometime in the late 1940s. I was 8 or 9 at the time. Mom and her sister had been to a musical comedy movie. I happened to come into the room as they were discussing the actors/actresses in the film. My mother said: "You know, Leone, I love Sam." (meaning, my dad). "But I'm MAD MAD MAD about Rudy Vallee."

Innocently I asked: "Is that somebody down the street?"

As I learned when I got older: it was the voice, in combination with his half-shuttered bedroom eyes.

I forgive you, mom...

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Oct 17 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

We lived in Oklahoma City in 1950-52 and in the bedroom I used was a Victor Credenza with some records among which was Rudy Vallee,s Weary River and Deep Night; also Geo Olsen's My Ideal ;A Victor record of Complimente (scottishe); B F Goodrich Burgundy.
I have copies of all these except "Complimente" and have been listening to them for some 60 years. Love Rudy Vallee and have about 6 or so.

Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx ♫
[/quote]

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Oct 17 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NormanL @ Oct 12 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Eddie, I'm actually already subscribed to your channel as artaud8642, and I've posted several of your videos to my Facebook group. What a small world! Thanks for the uploads. smile.gif

Lenny, those records sound interesting. Surface noise doesn't bother me at all, if that is the issue. Off-topic, and I think we've probably plumbed the topic completely already, what format do you and Eddie use when you digitize these records? Do you use the .wav format?

It is indeed a small world! Glad you're enjoying them. On the second question, I'm not technically proficient enough to answer it. I'll have to ask someone else!

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
2nd Sax Bb Tenor
post Jan 13 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1198

Vallée's Yankees were a very professional outfit that was usually kept very much in Rudy's shadow. If you want to hear them at their best, look for a couple Bluebird sides from 1933 without Rudy: Shame on You, sung by Alice Faye, and Nagasaki, an up instrumental with some solo spots.

--------------------
Music is joy. Music shared is joy multiplied.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2021 - 05:26 AM