Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Message Board Upgraded, New Features, Better Security
dismuke
post Mar 7 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I have just purchased the latest and greatest version of Invision Board and I seem to have been more or less successful with the upgrade.

If you play around with it a bit, you will find quite a few new features here over the old version. For example, check out the member profiles.

When I get some time - I don't exactly know when that will be - I will tinker around with it a bit and make some cosmetic changes. The board title image, for example, does not look especially good on the new board and probably needs to be either replaced or reformatted.

I ran into a few bugs with the seetings transferring over during the upgrade. For example, I was denied permission to post in certain forums. I figured out what caused it and set things to the correct setting.

If you find bugs or certain new features that are confusing or annoying, please use this thread to let me know about them and I will make the necessary changes.

Enjoy!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 7 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Hey Dismuke,

Yes I noticed the board did looked a little different today. A couple of things... I see a user Google.com as being logged on. Is this intentional or something that you are going to tweak? Also, I' noticed on my logon, that I could trace my click history. Is this a feature that one can use for others, if so, I'm not sure that is something everyone will feel comfortable with, especially if one feels they are being monitored by someone else. Just my initial thoughts. Overall, looks great and I hope the added security will suffice. You also mentioned in one of your post, the remote possiblility of Invision maybe having some backup of those lost posts. Anything new on that front?

Thanks and have a great day,

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 7 2007, 01:11 PM

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Mar 7 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Roseman @ Mar 7 2007, 01:10 PM) *
Hey Dismuke,

Yes I noticed the board did looked a little different today. A couple of things... I see a user Google.com as being logged on. Is this intentional or something that you are going to tweak?

That is actually Google's spider that is indexing the forum so that postings can show up when people do Google searches. The other search engines will also be identified as users when they are going through the site.

Also, I' noticed on my logon, that I could trace my click history. Is this a feature that one can use for others, if so, I'm not sure that is something everyone will feel comfortable with, especially if one feels they are being monitored by someone else.

No - other people cannot see your click history. That is simply included back to a certain point for your convenience if you read a posting somewhere on the baord and cannot remember where it was posted. That is especially helpful on boards with heavy posting volume.

The one thing that does get displayed is the people who took a look at your public profile. For example, I just looked at your public profile right now. If you go into it, you will see me listed there as a recent visitor.

You can also, if you like, build a "friends list" in your public profile.

Somehow, I think whoever wrote the latest updates for Invision Board was spending a lot of time on myspace!

You also mentioned in one of your post, the remote possiblility of Invision maybe having some backup of those lost posts. Anything new on that front?

I opened a trouble ticket with the web hosting service that housed the board at its old location on dismuke.net (notice I moved it to RadioDismuke.com which was something I was going to do eventually anyway) to see if they had a backup copy on their servers that I might have. I have not heard back from them yet. I think the chances of them having one they would be willing to let me have is an extreme long shot. It is really not their job to supply me with backups I should have made. The purpose for their backups is in case their equipment fails - and my guess is they don't have the staffing resources to spend the time giving backups to all of the users who request them. And, at this point, even if they do provide me one - well, I am not sure what I would be able to do with it. We have had a lot of postings put up since the board was restored after the hack. I wouldn't even begin to know how to insert the missing postings into the current board. In the event that they do give me a backup, what I might do is upload a copy of the board exactly how it was before the hack and disable all new postings and registrations in it and make it available for posters here to view for a certain period of time. That way, they could go back and fetch any postings that they put up that they might like copies of or would like to perhaps repost.

If anyone else has questions or problems with the new board, feel free to say so in a reply here. I will try and help as best I can. I might be a bit slow getting back, however, as I have a lot going on right now from a time management standpoint.

+Quote Post
derekpara
post Mar 10 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 441

QUOTE(dismuke @ Mar 7 2007, 01:27 PM) *
That is actually Google's spider that is indexing the forum so that postings can show up when people do Google searches. The other search engines will also be identified as users when they are going through the site.
No - other people cannot see your click history. That is simply included back to a certain point for your convenience if you read a posting somewhere on the baord and cannot remember where it was posted. That is especially helpful on boards with heavy posting volume.

The one thing that does get displayed is the people who took a look at your public profile. For example, I just looked at your public profile right now. If you go into it, you will see me listed there as a recent visitor.

You can also, if you like, build a "friends list" in your public profile.

Somehow, I think whoever wrote the latest updates for Invision Board was spending a lot of time on myspace!
I opened a trouble ticket with the web hosting service that housed the board at its old location on dismuke.net (notice I moved it to RadioDismuke.com which was something I was going to do eventually anyway) to see if they had a backup copy on their servers that I might have. I have not heard back from them yet. I think the chances of them having one they would be willing to let me have is an extreme long shot. It is really not their job to supply me with backups I should have made. The purpose for their backups is in case their equipment fails - and my guess is they don't have the staffing resources to spend the time giving backups to all of the users who request them. And, at this point, even if they do provide me one - well, I am not sure what I would be able to do with it. We have had a lot of postings put up since the board was restored after the hack. I wouldn't even begin to know how to insert the missing postings into the current board. In the event that they do give me a backup, what I might do is upload a copy of the board exactly how it was before the hack and disable all new postings and registrations in it and make it available for posters here to view for a certain period of time. That way, they could go back and fetch any postings that they put up that they might like copies of or would like to perhaps repost.

If anyone else has questions or problems with the new board, feel free to say so in a reply here. I will try and help as best I can. I might be a bit slow getting back, however, as I have a lot going on right now from a time management standpoint.

Hi, Dismuke

I have tried to change my pre-hack password without success. Please can you explain (gently) how to achieve this ?

Thanks.

Derek.

+Quote Post
matto
post Mar 10 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

QUOTE(derekpara @ Mar 10 2007, 11:29 AM) *
Hi, Dismuke

I have tried to change my pre-hack password without success. Please can you explain (gently) how to achieve this ?

Thanks.

Derek.

Derek,

You might want to follow the link I have provided below:

Change Your password

If this link does not work, GO to "My Controls" (located at the top of the board) Next, SELECT "Change Password" (located at the bottom left corner of the page)

Follow this procedure

Type in your old password

Type in your new password
Confirm it by typing in your new password again
LOG OUT and try your new password cool.gif

Matt

This post has been edited by matto: Mar 10 2007, 06:21 PM

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2021 - 03:29 AM