ross
post Jan 11 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

New, at least to me, is a Jazz Age music site:

great-song-stylists-uk.com

that offers an extensive selection of music, a lot from the 1920s and 30s (but into the 1950s) sorted primarily by vocalists, the famous and the obscure, on mp3. The site is free; it solicits contributions.

My only caveat: on my PC the songs play on Real Player. Unfortunately the last 5 or 10 seconds are clipped off. Strange and disconcerting; I've never encountered it before on Real. Anybody know of a fix?

Ross
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MathGeek
post Jan 11 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 376

QUOTE(ross @ Jan 10 2006, 07:22 PM)
New, at least to me, is a Jazz Age music site:

that offers an extensive selection of music, a lot from the 1920s and 30s (but into the 1950s) sorted primarily by vocalists, the famous and the obscure, on mp3. The site is free; it solicits contributions.

My only caveat: on my PC the songs play on Real Player. Unfortunately the last 5 or 10 seconds are clipped off. Strange and disconcerting; I've never encountered it before on Real. Anybody know of a fix?

Ross

Thanks for the link. "We're Back Together Again" by Jane Green from that site plays fine on my computer without clipping off the last 5-10 seconds so maybe the problem is on your machine.

+Quote Post
bob
post Jan 11 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(ross @ Jan 10 2006, 07:22 PM)
New, at least to me,  is a Jazz Age music site:

Hi Ross

New site to me too. Thanks a bunch for the link. It also works fine on my computer and dosen't clip the files. The site is also layed out real nice and easy to use.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jan 11 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Thanks Ross!

New site to me three... It's really quite deep. It sounds like the webmaster is barely keeping his head above water though to keep up with the expenses; I hope the site will stay alive. I donated a sawbuck to him via Paypal just in case -that should pay for all the Jane Green that I downloaded :-) ... I just LOVE her voice -and the site offers a VERY generous selection of her stuff considering that she only made 33 recordings ... And there's enough George Formby to keep Flapper Girl smiling for another decade or two...

Like the others, I haven't yet noticed any technical snafus with RealPlayer.
(update: The end seems to be missing on Jane Green's recording of "Me and the Boyfriend" -not sure if it's the same problem that you're experiencing)

_ _ _

Welcome to the board Math Geek; It's great to have you join us.

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jan 11 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

FLAPPER GIRL !!

I'm BEGGING you -(and how many times have I ever begged you for anything??)

PLEASE take a look at the George Formby video clip, "Our Sergeant Major", from the above site.

Here's the link.

I'll be humming this tune in my sleep tonight -I wonder if it's too late for me to take banjo lessons? ... :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jan 11 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

I do believe I've died and gone to George Formby heaven! What a great video clip of young George in action. The expressions on the faces of the Sergeant Major and the bloke looking over his right shoulder are priceless. What a cute guy! Fifty years ago I might have taken up the banjo and run off to join the act. I played the video several times and was having difficulty understanding some of the lyrics. The MP3 version on the list at the web site is much clearer to understand.

I also noted "Leaning On the Lamppost" is on the list, which is one of his classics. It was also interesting to listen to "Thanks Mr. Roosevelt for Helping Us Carry On" - an expression of the sentiments of war torn Britain during the terrible years of WWII.

A wonderful site with a lot of other gems on it. Thanks so much for leading us to it.

Flapper Girl

+Quote Post
limden
post Jan 11 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Thank you Ross

This is indeed a most interesting, yet infuriating, site and I don't just mean the apostrophes littered about with such abandon. I too find that the MP3s play in RealPlayer with the endings cropped but that using Windows Media Player results in the complete recording being delivered. At least that's what I found with two Leslie Hutchinson numbers, "Easy to Love" and "Sand in my Shoes".

Example: "Easy to Love" plays for 2'46 in Real Player, 3'03 in Windows Media Player.

If anyone has the technical knowhow to suggest a solution to the problem with RealPlayer perhaps they could transmit it to the webmaster? I think they would be doing him a favour (or favor!).

Limden

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jan 11 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I am at work right now -and I'm listening to the files on the site. ... When I click on one for the first time, it plays through just fine using RealPlayer -but when I attempt to listen to the same song over again (by clicking on the webpage), the RealPlayer software only plays HALF of the song and then stops... There does seem to be something weird going on...??...

Perhaps the webmaster has placed some sort of bandwidth restrictions in the RealPlayer settings? I am not familiar enough with RealPlayer to know if this is even possible.

I'll check to see if the same thing happens on my home system when I get home from work tonight...

--------------------

+Quote Post
bob
post Jan 12 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(limden @ Jan 11 2006, 04:09 PM)
Example: "Easy to Love" plays for 2'46 in Real Player, 3'03 in Windows Media Player.

Hi limden

Yep. I'm having the same problem with RealPlayer. "Easy to Love" plays just fine in the Windows and Nero media players. If I can figure out what's going on with RealPlayer I'll be sure to pass it on. Weird, never had this problem before. The problem is most likely with the site. The downloaded file size and duration is 403kb and 3:03 min.

Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
ross
post Jan 12 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 228

Hi Limden -

Thank you for alerting us that using WMP fixes the RealPlayer malfunction (or perhaps the Site's malfunction?) But oh! my, it is tedious to make the WMP the default player temporarily. Every self-respecting player wants to be the default!

Ross

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jan 12 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

That's it! ... I give up trying to launch these songs from the website -I can hear them play once -but not twice (even with WMP) ... It's a lot easier just to save them to your hardrive and listen to them locally by using your favorite mp3 player.

To save them locally: Right click on the title -and use the "Save Target As" option...

_ _ _

Hey Flap, I FINALLY got to hear "Leaning On The Lamppost" -What a GREAT song! I love it -Believe it or not, it wasn't included in that 5 disc (125 song) Formby collection that Bob and I got a while back...

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Jan 12 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

Amazing to learn that a 5 CD set of George Formby could fail to include "Leaning on the Lamppost" - it's just about his most famous number. Perhaps the compiler had simply heard it too many times, a bit like me and Lehar's "Vilja".

This burgeoning enthusiasm for George Formby is astonishing! He's a bit of an acquired taste if you ask me. He's amusing enough in small doses but 5 CDs........!! Mind blowing! I suppose if he helps Americans to understand a Northern version of UK English then this must be a Good Thing. No doubt you'll all be drooling over Gracie Fields next. Actually she could sing divinely but compilations focus on her comedy recordings, alas.

Limden

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jan 13 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Hi Limden,

Honestly, I don't think we are showing a burgeoning enthusiasm for Formby... No, not a mere budding interest... I think it's a full-fledged and raging passion -a cult-like dedication -an unhealthy obsession with this merry minstrel of mirth. Pray tell, who's more plucky? Who's more ducky?

I am quite distressed to see that my favorite George Formby song, "When I'm Cleaning Windows" is not included in this website's playlist of over 100 Formby recordings (-except in a lame medley format)... For shame!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jan 13 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

My personal favourite Formby number is "You Can't Stop Me From Dreaming". Is that one included in the CD box mentioned?

It should be pointed out that I've only heard a fraction of Formby's production so far.

Speaking of Gracie Fields: if you should stumble upon her recording of "Sing As You Go" - don't be surprised if you get a vision of male quartet dressed in long aprons but no trousers! This since it is the same melody that Monty Python used for "Sit On My Face"...

Fredrik

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jan 13 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Hey Ian,

I am in total agreement - a burgeoning interest in George Formby, indeed. It may even be a form of fanaticism! Perhaps not for the multitudes, but there's the two of us, isn't there? (and possibly Bob and Fredrick, although I'm unsure about their level of commitment.) As for Dismuke, I fear he may never be persuaded to add his name to the list.

I must admit that it took me a while to progress to where I am today, as my "fanship" (or whatever the right word is) evolved over time. I really had no choice, as my husband was from the UK and a huge fan. It was either that or divorce! Once I overcame my initial introduction and began to really listen to the songs, I was hooked. You certainly have to approach his style with an open mind and become accustomed to his accent and particular brand of humour. You may be forced to be a closet fan in the beginning, as your friends will undoubtedly distance themselves, shaking their heads in disbelief. Once you have become accustomed to their disparaging remarks and are totally comfortable being maligned, you are then ready to enter the second stage of becoming a Formby fan. All well worth it, I might add, as it is a very exclusive club!

Yes, "Leaning On The Lamppost" is definitely one of his better known offerings, as well as "Bless'em All" - one of my other favorites. I am slowly going through all the songs on the site, as I am unfamiliar with many of them. It is a treasure trove and will likely take me the next 100 years to listen to them all, but I am gradually making progress and separating the chaff from the wheat.

Best wishes to all,
Flapper Girl

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 01:18 PM