> did bing kill eddie lang
coonsanders
post Nov 14 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 36

hi gang
i heard this from a gent on facebook that bing suggested to eddie lang get this operation and after this operation lang died..wh
ats the story with this story? thanks..

lenny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Nov 14 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (coonsanders @ Nov 14 2011, 04:59 AM) *
hi gang
i heard this from a gent on facebook that bing suggested to eddie lang get this operation and after this operation lang died..wh
ats the story with this story? thanks..

lenny

That's what it says... Tonsillectomy.

Wiki says, "Lang died following a tonsillectomy[5] in New York City in 1933 at the age of thirty. He had been urged by Crosby to have the tonsillectomy so that he might have speaking parts in Crosby's films. Lang's voice was chronically hoarse, and it was hoped that the operation would remedy this. It is unclear exactly what the cause of death was, but it is thought that uncontrolled bleeding played a role." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Lang)

Simple procedure by today's standards... I had my tonsils removed, and I made it... Maybe in the thirties it wasn't perfected yet... Wonder if Bing carried any guilt with him over this? Seems like a rather trivial reason to get a surgery.

Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
Terry
post Nov 17 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

The most complete analysis into Lang's demise is available on the bixography.com website, a copy of a paper published in "The American Laryngological, Rhinological & Otalogical Society, Inc."

Extract:
The mechanism of death is uncertain. In a 1992 interview of some of Eddie Lang’s living relatives by Italian jazz critic
Adriano Mazzoletti, it was stated that Lang had “suffocated on his own blood.”8 One relative suggested that Lang was
allowed to bleed to death because of inattention by the nursing staff. 8 Could there have been a lack of staff because of
the operation being performed on a weekend? Another possible contributory factor to Lang’s death may have been a
narcotic overdose, as the patient apparently never did regain consciousness after having been given a postoperative
sedative. 9 Yet another theory as to the cause of death centers around Kitty Lang’s claim that she had been told that
Eddie had developed “a blood clot that formed in the lung.”1 Indeed, on Lang’s death certificate, under the heading
“Contributory,” the words “coronary embolus” are written and scratched out with a single line, followed by the words
“pulmonary embolus.” However, the accuracy of such a diagnosis cannot be confirmed, as an autopsy was never
performed. 9 According to Kitty, “I didn’t want them to cut him up anymore. . .Whatever had gone wrong, I felt I
didn’t want to know.”9

http://bixography.com/langmedicalreport.html

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Nov 18 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

hi guys
another possibility was infection..in the early 30s thay had no antibiotis..and the infection killed him...as greg said today no problem but them big problem..take valentiono he had peritonitis today no problem..then big problem..

lenny

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Nov 18 2011, 02:52 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (coonsanders @ Nov 17 2011, 06:26 PM) *
hi guys
another possibility was infection..in the early 30s thay had no antibiotis..and the infection killed him...as greg said today no problem but them big problem..take valentiono he had peritonitis today no problem..then big problem..

lenny

Not even sure when they became aware of bacteria and germs and to scrub and use gloves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Nov 18 2011, 03:37 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

yeah....

+Quote Post
Tony
post Nov 22 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 652

My father (born 1906) very nearly died from a tonsilectomy -- I think around 1914. the doctor came to the house and performed the operation on the kitchen table -- which practice was fairly commonplace, I recall my father saying. He near bled to death.

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Nov 22 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

hi
thats it was in them days..

coonsanders

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Dec 19 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I have read that Crosby felt a profound and enduring guilt after Lang's death and that the psychological scars from it impacted his ability to become close to people.

It is really not fair to say that Crosby killed Lang. Obviously, things would have been very different had he not advised the tonsillectomy. But to say that Crosby killed him is rather harsh.

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post Dec 19 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

yea...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 09:57 AM