Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Henry Busse
Terry
post Oct 7 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Henry Busse played in the Paul Whiteman Orchestra, and from memory left in a pique because of the preferential treatment given to Bix Beiderbecke. Whiteman said Busse was old fashioned.

Now has anyone ever heard Busse play open cornet/trumpet ? I'm only aware of his playing with a mute, as typified on the Whiteman recording of 'When Day is Done' from 1927 http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/whiteman/whndydn1.ra
This tune incidently was used as the introductory theme to the Lord Peter Wimsey BBC radio series.

In 1940 in 'Hot Lips' he was playing exactly the same, still with mute and instantly recognisable, on the bottom of this page http://www.jazz-on-line.com/pageinterrogat...=&B1=Submit

(Note JOL has changed, there are problems using Firefox though Michel said they were fixed, and can't seem to give a link directly to a song, it maybe me having finger trouble)

Perhaps Whiteman was right in 1927 about his style.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Oct 7 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

What good timing. Someone just today put up this clip on YouTube featuring the Busse Orch.
You can catch his muted trumpet style at the 16:40 mark.

I don't think Busse was along with his muted style, seems there was another famous one by the name of
Clyde McCoy (Sugar Blues) that found it to be stylish also. Though I don't think he used it exclusively.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Oct 7 2012, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
Terry
post Oct 7 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Thanks for that clip Don, he does play without a mute a little later in that clip, and I just listened to the 1922 Whiteman recording of Hot Lips on RHJ. The quality is not that good, but I'd say he also plays open horn on that, so obviously he didn't confine himself exclusively to a mute.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2021 - 01:45 PM