Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RCA-Victor Label question
gregoryagogo
post Jan 24 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

When did RCA add the RCA to the Victor label?

I'm guessing mid-40s...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Feb 16 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (gregoryagogo @ Jan 24 2011, 02:23 PM) *
When did RCA add the RCA to the Victor label?

I'm guessing mid-40s...

It really depends where on the label and the size of the type font you are asking about. As Mike S mentions, RCA purchased the Victor Talking Machine Co in 1929. Initially, at the bottom of the label "Victor Talking Machine Co" was replaced by "Victor Talking Machine Division Radio-victor Corporation of America. In 1930, Radio-victor was consolidated with Audio-Visual Appliance Co to become RCA-Victor and that is what showed in small type at the bottom of the label - though the big print and brand name of the lable remained "Victor." Then, in 1935, RCA Victor was changed to RCA Manufacturing Co, Inc to reflect the merger of RCA Victor Co with RCA Radiotron Co. In 1943 the small print was changed to RCA Victor Division of Radio Corporation of America.

In January 1946 the brand name of the label itself was changed from Victor to RCA Victor.

So the official name change did not occur until the 1940s. But the words "RCA Victor" appeared at various times as early as 1930.

All this information, by the way, is from a highly recommended book Collector's Guide To Victor Records by Michael W. Sherman. It features a wealth of information and statistics about the Victor label as well as LOTS of interesting photographs. One place you can get it from is Nauck's Vintage Records at www.78rpm.com

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 17 2011, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (dismuke @ Feb 16 2011, 10:03 AM) *

That's what I was looking for. I knew "all of that", but just didn't know exactly when the label, started to include the RCA in it (RCA-Victor)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th November 2019 - 09:08 PM