Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some musical cartoons on YouTube, Just for the fun of it
laughland
post Apr 21 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 271

Maybe you need something to do on a lazy Friday afternoon... here are a few musical cartoons you might enjoy which have appeared on YouTube recently...

All The Cats Join In
This one is by Disney and features Benny Goodman - definately more of a 40s swing style but I absolutely love the blending of music and animation in this. The characters were animated by Freddie Moore who was legendary around the studio for his drawings of the female form - which everyone called "Freddie Moore Girls". wink.gif

Dixieland Droopy - a classic Droopy film directed by Tex Avery. A true gem with plenty of lively music and great gags.

Pied Piper of Basin Street (1945) - by Walter Lantz - featuring Jack Teagarden on trombone.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 21 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Thanks Laughland,

It's such a great privilege to have Moore's brilliant cartoon, All The Cats Join In so handy -just a bookmark away! I've always loved it.

I have been foiled by YouTube :-( ... I wanted to add another one of my favorite Disney musical shorts to your list - Bumble Boogie (from Melody Time 1948) ... but, alas, it is not available on the site.

Oh well. As a consolation, there is a live action version which will give folks an idea of the cartoon's soundtrack:

Bumble Boogie (not the Disney cartoon)

I wish those YouTube pirates would get busy and add more cartoons to the database! (Do you have any strings you can pull for us in this regard? :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 21 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Thanks laughland for directing us to those cartoons. All The Cats Join In came through fine from beginning to end but the other two had a lot of buffering. Wonder why some come through o.k. while others don't. Does it have something to do with Internet traffic at the time they are played or what?

Enjoyed watching them anyway. Those Dixieland Droopy fleas are sooooo cute!

F.G.

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 21 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Hi Flap,

I get the EXACT same problem when I visit that site... It seems to me, the first file I view always works perfectly... and then I seem to have buffering trouble with any subsequent files. It happens the same way for every unique viewing session...The first one is always FREE!! Perhaps it has something to do with a bandwidth allowance...?

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
bob
post Apr 21 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 21 2006, 04:25 PM)
Hi Flap,

I get the EXACT same problem when I visit that site... It seems to me, the first file I view always works perfectly... and then I seem to have buffering trouble with any subsequent files. It happens the same way for every unique viewing session...The first one is always FREE!! Perhaps it has something to do with a bandwidth allowance...?

Ian

Hi Ian & Flapper

Same problem also. Downloads on that site are just slow. The workaround is to hit play then hit pause and let the file download at lease half way and then hit play.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 21 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hi Bob!

What's goin' on bub? Where's Blondie right now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bob
post Apr 21 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 21 2006, 04:48 PM)
Hi Bob!

What's goin' on bub? Where's Blondie right now?

Hi Ian
I've been kind of dividing my time up between the Dismuke site and my new toy that I bought from this site. http://www.realflight.com/ Click on this link to take a look. I'm just having a ball.

smile.gif Bob

p.s. Blondie is doing great and says hi to you and Flapper

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 21 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

That's FUN!! I wish you nothing but soft (inexpensive) landings...

Can you give Blondie this message for me: "Bark, Bark, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark" Don't worry -she'll know I'm talking about...

--------------------

+Quote Post
bob
post Apr 21 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ian House @ Apr 21 2006, 05:06 PM)
That's FUN!!  I wish you nothing but soft (inexpensive) landings...

Can you give Blondie this message for me: "Bark, Bark, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark"  Don't worry -she'll know I'm talking about...

tongue.gif roger wilco over and out or pilot talk something like that.

tongue.gif Wrong Way Bob {Call me Crash for short}

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 22 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hey Ian,

A while ago you mentioned that one of your favorite cartoons is one featuring a band of cats playing Crazy Rhythm. From your description, it sounded like a real winner and one I sure would like to eyeball sometime. Wonder if you have come across it anywhere since then and what the name of it is? Are you familiar with that one. laughland?

I sometimes check out the cartoon channels on TV, but most of those cartoons are more recent ones. Some of the newer cartoons are rather weird in my opinion. The idea of changing the appearance of Bugs Bunny to some futuristic monster really pushed my buttons! I believe they have dropped the idea due to public outrage? I haven't heard any more about it recently.

Flapper

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 22 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Glad to hear you are enjoying the films.

YouTube performance varies greatly from time to time for me. I pause and wait like Bob suggests when it is sluggish. Sometimes I give up and try later...

Ian: Sorry but I have nothing to do with the posting of these, don't know the people responsible and (to date) haven't posted any there myself. I plan to upload a few at some point when I get a bit more free time - most likely in June.

FWIW I suspect that at least two of these three films I mentioned are in violation of the YouTube copyright rules and wouldn't be shocked if they were yanked at some point...

Flapper: the only cartoon featuring a cat playing "Crazy Rhythm" which comes to mind is the Merrie Melodie "Pizzicato Pussycat". To be more precise it has a cat and a mouse playing it... You can watch this cartoon at the Warner Bros website . Ian - is there another one you had in mind?

There are bunch of others located on this page on the same website.

I would highly recommend many of these others beginning with...
-One Froggy Evening
-Feed The Kitty
-High Note
-Long Haired Hare
-Rabbit of Seville
-You Ought to Be In Pictures
-Duck Amuck

Heck... might as well watch 'em all! tongue.gif

And the "futuristic monster" version of Bugs was probably the "Loonatics" show - they made these futuristic super hero characters based on Looney Tunes characters. I think it has come and gone quickly. I never watched it - the teasers about it were bad enough...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Apr 22 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Unfortunately, I am unable to play the cartoons from the Warner Brothers site. I have Windows Media Player and I know it is working o.k. as I am able to play other videos with it. The ads come on in the beginning and while they are running, it says the cartoons will begin shortly. Once the ads have finished playing the screen goes black. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? Perhaps I need to subscribe or register in order to view them?

Thanks,
Flapper

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 22 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I recall seeing that happen on that same website on an old computer running Windoes ME awhile back. It was running an older version of the Win Media player. I have since replaced the main drive and installed XP with the latest media player and now they play just fine on it. Is your Media Player a fairly recent version?

Otherwise you could try using a different player. There's a "change player preferences" option under the ads when they run - it lets you try the real player or quicktime.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Apr 22 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Flapper,

Excellent memory! Oh, how I would dearly love for you to see this cartoon:-)

I don't think that you need to be a registered user to view the films on the Warner site -they eventually loaded up for me (after suffering through a pile of idiotic and annoying media landmines!)... Um... did you try playing with the "change player settings" at the bottom of the media window?... I'm not sure what else to suggest...?

Laughland,

Yes, I was indeed making reference to Freleng's "Pizzicato Pussycat" - We were discussing various versions of "Crazy Rhythm" and I had mentioned that my favorite rendition of the song is the brief version of it played by the cat and mouse combo at the end of this cartoon. Obviously, the technical execution is not on par with that of Roger Wolfe Kahn... but it will always be my favorite version based on memory and context. I think that this tune, as played in this cartoon, represents one of my first memories of music; Watching this film always takes me back to 1966 when I was a 5 year old kid glued to the persuasive blue glow of our basement television set. My love for Jazz Age music was a direct result of watching cartoons just like "Pizzicato Pussycat". I also have fond memories of pantomiming the cat and mouse combo with my older brother throughout our childhood. I guess you might call it playing "air piano" ...? ... Anyway, what may seem like a pedestrian cartoon to most viewers is, to me, a cherished heirloom from my childhood.
_ _ _

I agree with your list of "required viewing" -although I would like to highlight "Feed The Kitty" as must see!

Also, I find it necessary, yet again, to rush to the rescue of Robert McKimson, one of Warner's most brilliant (yet constantly neglected) directors. IMHO, McKimson was responsible for the BEST design and execution of Bugs Bunny... so ... I must add "Rebel Rabbit" to your homework viewing list :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Apr 22 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

And there's another option - I just noticed that Pizzicato Pussycat is available on YouTube...

Click here to watch it...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd December 2021 - 05:08 AM