Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with Steel Kodisk Record!
Adam
post Aug 25 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 796

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me. I have recently discovered what appears to be an old kodisk steel record in a family members house. Its one of the "record your own voice" type of records, and I believe it to have my great-grandmothers voice on it.

I'd really like to be able to play and record this record, but it looks VERY dirty.

Can anybody advise me on the best way to clean this record? I can post pics up if I need to. The dirt is like white patches of dust all over the record. Could even be some sort of oxidation, although its not 'rust coloured'

I have a turntable that can do 78rpm, and will source an appropriate stylus, I understand these records should only be played with plastic needles?

If anyone can give me advice on how I can get this record playable, It would mean a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_nicky smith_*
post Sep 1 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Guests

hello adam
good luck with your search.
i have just found a similar item today and would love to know what's on it.
please let me know if you have any luck!
thanks,
nicky
bath, uk

+Quote Post
dajosbela
post Sep 26 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 781

Hello Adam,

most of the selfrecorded Discs are not of steel but Aluminium. Alu is NON magentic, so you can test it easily.
If it is magentic, it is steel, so you can clean it with a dish washer.
Not so if it is alu, The white patches are "Aluminium salt" (Doesn´t know the right chemical word for
it in englisch) Here, with a dishwasher you can get an bad chemical progress, because dishwasher
is a form of alkaline. This would damage your record even more! You have to clean it with REAL destilated water. Most of the destilated water you can buy is only
demineralized. Real destilated water is, for example the water you get out of you laundry dryer.
Perhaps you put the disc for a few min. in the water (lukewarm), and then clean it with a very soft (tooth) brush and more destilated water. After that (then it is dry!), also
if it is a steel disc, oil it with a light oil like silicon, WD40 or something else.
Play the disc only with a modern light pick up - NEVER with old steel needles!
This MAY help you to clean it, but equal if it is steel or Alu, your disc is badly damaged by an chemical progress! Digitize it fastly, perhaps in 5 Years there is nothing left for digitizing!
(Sorry about my enlish, hope you understand all that I mean!)
Best,
Uli

QUOTE(Adam @ Aug 25 2008, 11:38 AM) *
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me. I have recently discovered what appears to be an old kodisk steel record in a family members house. Its one of the "record your own voice" type of records, and I believe it to have my great-grandmothers voice on it.

I'd really like to be able to play and record this record, but it looks VERY dirty.

Can anybody advise me on the best way to clean this record? I can post pics up if I need to. The dirt is like white patches of dust all over the record. Could even be some sort of oxidation, although its not 'rust coloured'

I have a turntable that can do 78rpm, and will source an appropriate stylus, I understand these records should only be played with plastic needles?

If anyone can give me advice on how I can get this record playable, It would mean a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th January 2022 - 10:44 PM