2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 40's music
ChrisRJ
post Dec 17 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 360

I'm wondering why some people seem to have a problem with 40s music on this board. It might not be like the 20s or 30s but it wasn't rock and roll either.

I know there's www.1940.co.uk which has a few(bad quality) .ram files, but I'd like to find some more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
matto
post Dec 17 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Chris,
I can't speak for everyone on the board, but I have no problem with 40's music. I own quite a bit of recordings from the 1940's.
There are a couple of reasons why this board is focused on the music from the 1920's and 1930's.
Here they go:

1. Radio Dismuke PRIMARILY plays selections from the 1925-1935 decade. But, Dismuke sometimes plays stuff from the 40's (check the previous hit of the week sections for Arite Shaw broadcasts, and plenty of big band recordings).

2. Just an opinion: The BEST swing music was from the late 1930's. Swing music was being recorded as early as 1927, and by 1935 swing was taking over the music scene. In the late 1930's there were a large number of unknown "Territory" bands that recorded great swing sessions (AKA Bob Pope and his Orchestra) that rival or sometimes surpass the greats (Goodman, Dorsey, Shaw, Miller). Also, Some of the "Big Name" swing bands made their best recordings from 1935-1941.

3. WWII messed up the music scene. Record companies recorded less as shellac was rationed, people weren't as "In the Mood" for swing music........After the war was over there was the recording ban (union strike) that lasted for several years. So, much of the music of the mid 1940's was not captured on disc. By the late 40's , swing was not as popular and vocal groups were on the rise (mitch miller, patti page etc...).

4. If you take a look at the recording date your favorite "period" swing recordings, I bet 90% were recorded before the 1941 attack on pearl harbor.

If you are looking for swing recordings, check the dismuke hit of the week archives. Over the years he has put up many swing recordings from the 40's and they're all there !
Matt

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
ChrisRJ
post Dec 18 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 360

Yea I found out a few people on here don't care for 40s music as much, so it kinda made me wonder.

But anyway, thanks for showing me this smile.gif

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Dec 18 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I too enjoy the big band era very much and there are many good sites playing this great music (try logging on to live365.com and search big band) but the music dismuke concentrates on is not as well represented and in my opinion it should stay focused on 20s to 30s music because there are not many good sites available. I personally love even earlier music from the acoustic era 1890s-1920s and have found several good sites for listening to them. With all the internet has to offer finding good music to listen to should not be a problem at all. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Mar 5 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

I don't mind much of the early 40's music, say about 1940-42, but where the 40's and I part company is with the development of what I think is called BeBop in about 1944. It's only purpose seems to be loud and tuneless--I know it has chord structure and such, but I love the specific melodies and rhythms of the 20's so much that this music leaves me completely cold. I think of this as being like the atonal music of Stan Kenton who was an early producer of what later was called modern jazz, played by groups like Dave Brubeck, et al.

+Quote Post
bob
post Mar 5 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(ChrisRJ @ Dec 17 2005, 09:38 AM)
I'm wondering why some people seem to have a problem with 40s music on this board.  It might not be like the 20s or 30s but it wasn't rock and roll either.

I know there's www.1940.co.uk which has a few(bad quality) .ram files, but I'd like to find some more.

Hey Everyone

This site should cover everything you could want from the 1940s on. All in downloadable .rm files that you can burn to a Cd

http://www.hhtabby.addr.com/master.html

smile.gif smile.gif Enjoy and Have Fun Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Mar 6 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It's a matter of personal taste! As Ed said in the '20s and '30's poll thread:

http://dismuke.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=537

"Like a streetlight, the area directly under the light is brightest (1925-35), and the further away one wanders in either direction, the less illumination. We finally reach a point when there is virtually no light at all. That's my perspective. Of course, some Radio Dismuke fan's might center the light at a different location! "

I love the '40's swing! For me, it's just a matter of what kind of mood I'm in! My moods seem to be longer these days... I kind of wore out the swing when I was in high school and now I seem to be in a 20's & '30's mood. I do, however have spurts of '40's moments!

Love,
Gregory smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
birdible
post Mar 8 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

QUOTE(victrolajazz @ Mar 4 2006, 11:09 PM)
I don't mind much of the early 40's music, say about 1940-42, but where the 40's and I part company is with the development of what I think is called BeBop in about 1944. It's only purpose seems to be loud and tuneless--I know it has chord structure and such, but I love the specific melodies and rhythms of the 20's so much that this music leaves me completely cold. I think of this as being like the atonal music of Stan Kenton who was an early producer of what later was called modern jazz, played by groups like Dave Brubeck, et al.

Now Be-Bop is slightly different then bop but both terms are mixed through the styles. I do disagree, if you get some good bop music, alot of it has the same rythmic patterns in them as do the 1920's songs but the style of palying was changed. I prefer 20's and 30's over bop, but I have played it somewhat and found it ok.

+Quote Post
Charleston Charl...
post Mar 18 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 118

I think that the issue many have with 40's music has to do with the rampant over-commercialization of swing which resulted in a severe dumbing-down of the genre.

The record companies certainly pushed for a lot of schmaltzy ballads and "sausage music" (a Shavian term). Those responsible were the record company hacks who were obsessed with profits at the expense of art. The main purveyors of the sausage music were the white bands; espec. Glenn Miller. My least-favorite stuff from Krupa, Shaw and others comes from this period.

The war years could have been musically dreadful if not for some of the jump-blues and proto-R&B stuff that was coming out.

--------------------
"Sweet and Hot" - 3 hours of the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's on CITR 101.9 FM

http://www.myspace.com/citrjazz

+Quote Post
LadyNostalgiaBuf...
post Oct 20 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

I am intrigued with anything old. '40s (and even the '50s and '60s) is "old" to me.

+Quote Post
Shangas
post Nov 9 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 635

I love the 40s big-band era. Goodman, Miller and all the rest. The big-band sound is unique and beautiful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Nov 10 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(Shangas @ Nov 9 2007, 03:50 PM) *
I love the 40s big-band era. Goodman, Miller and all the rest. The big-band sound is unique and beautiful.

The war-time swing really captures that "assembly-line" feel. It makes you want to build a tank and rivit with your teeth!! Yowza!! With all that was going on in history then, this type of swing is very motivating to me!

"On The Old Assembly Line" (1942) Glenn Miller And His Orchestra
laugh.gif

This post has been edited by gregoryagogo: Nov 10 2007, 02:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shangas
post Nov 10 2007, 06:21 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 635

The real 1940s WWII wartime big-band jazz-songs are fun and interesting to listen to...

"Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy" - Andrews Sisters.
"American Patrol" - G. Miller & Orch.
"Goodbye Mama"
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Kay Kyser.
"Der Fuhrer's Face" - S. Jones & City Slickers.
"You're a Sap, Mr. Jap" - S. Jones & City Slickers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor C. Brunsw...
post Nov 10 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 485

When I was growing up my parents were a little older than the parents of my friends so much of the music I grew up listening to was that of the '40s and pre-rock 'n roll '50s. Much of it, in my opinion, compared to the smart and elegant songs of the '30s, was quite vapid. A notable example of this is The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane. It makes me grind my teeth whenever I hear it. I also detest the later "jazzed up" versions of many of these old standards.

Perhaps I had developed a love for '20s and '30s music as my own way of youthful rebellion instead of going the other way because I totally lack the rock 'n roll gene! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Nov 14 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(Victor C. Brunswick @ Nov 10 2007, 01:34 PM) *
The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane

"...so delectable, quite respectable--and she's only nine days ohhhld!!!" Boing Boing Boing!!!

Yes, it was a hideous song!

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2021 - 02:43 AM